Outstanding piano trios

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Outstanding piano trios

Postby Mike Schwartz » November 12th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Mike Schwartz wrote:Reminded by Pete's mentioning a particular show was the best piano trio he's ever seen; I saw Mulgrew Miller with Ray Drummond, bass and Billy Higgins, drums the greatest I've ever seen in this format during Stanford Jazz Festival in Campbell Recital Hall a number of years ago.

Aug. 5th, 2000: The Trio, with Billy Higgins, Mulgrew Miller and Ray Drummond.

The buzz among the audience & the presenters was thick enough to cut with a knife, we kind of walked around dumbfounded that we've never seen anything like that, and haven't since. Higgins was in good health at this time and was absolutely on fire and the program was all Miller original compositions!!
Dr Dave
Founding Member

Postby Dr Dave » November 14th, 2013, 5:57 pm

A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » November 17th, 2013, 4:39 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:THE BARRY HARRIS TRIO FEATURING RAY DRUMMOND AND LEROY WILLIAMS

Saw this lot at The Vanguard summer of 2012. Mesmerizing.

Just reserved for 4 shows next weekend in Montreal!

Amazing music! Beautiful club called Upstairs, good food, quiet policy and a very hip Montreal crowd digging the trio all weekend. I heard a sensitivity in Barry's playing I've never heard and the fun and joy these three share is quite something to behold. I've attended dozens of clinics with Barry yet the three hours on Saturday afternoon was one of the best. Young players hanging on his words was good to see. Ruby My Dear, Oblivion, Yesterdays, I Didn't Know What Time It Was, 'Round Midnight, A Time For Love, Prelude To A Kiss were some of the highlights. I had the pleasure of sitting with Ray and Leroy at breakfast as they spoke of New York clubs of today and yesteryear.

I feel extremely fortunate to have been there.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 18th, 2013, 9:02 am

I got this one from eMusic:

Francy Boland and Kenny Clarke in a trio with Jimmy Woode on bass--you can imagine that this swings.
Praise Cheeses!
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » November 18th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Flanagan/Mraz/Washington

Jazz Poet is a great one.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 18th, 2013, 5:34 pm

I like the Earl Hines trio date mentioned above. Quite a mix, with Hines, Elvin and Richard Davis. But it works. But I'm biased. I liked Hines personally and, for me, it's all good. He's utterly distinctive.

And Bud Powell. Bud had his off days, but they were still better than almost anyone else.

One name I don't recall seeing is Hampton Hawes. just love all of his trio stuff. Good things on Contemporary that are widely available for reasonable prices. I slightly favor pre-1970 to post, but you can't go far wrong. Another good one is the Blues for Bud on Black Lion/1201 Music.

For lightly swinging, more delicate touch, the Great Jazz Trio was good - Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. Try Direct from LA, Village Vanguard or New Wine in Old Bottles.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 18th, 2013, 11:25 pm

I'll second the vote for Hampton Hawes, although one of my favorite HH trios is in fact a quartet: Red Mitchell on bass and Bruz Freeman (brother of Von and George) on drums, plus Jim Hall on guitar. They did the excellent "All Night Sessions" that yielded Volumes 1-3 on LP.

Steve Kuhn is a contemporary who is a fine trio pianist as well. His regular trio includes David Finck, bass, and the ever versatile Joey Baron on drums.There's also an excellent Vanguard date with Ron Carter and Al Foster.
Praise Cheeses!
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » November 20th, 2013, 9:43 am

Tom - What about Tommy Flanagan, Peter Washington, Lewis Nash? ;)
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » November 20th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Danilo Perez, and especially Michel Camilo have all recorded outstanding trio records. Getting away from my side of town, I enjoy the Bill Charlap Trio w/Kenny & Peter Washington.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 21st, 2013, 8:54 am

Yeah, that Flanagan guy wasn't too bad.

George Colligan has a new one one out with Larry Grenadier and Jack DeJohnette that sounds very nice.

Oh, and one of my favorites is a Kenny Werner trio from 1995 called "Live at Visiones," with Ratzo Harris and Tom Rainey. Imaginative journeys through some standard tunes.
Praise Cheeses!
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » November 22nd, 2013, 5:34 pm

I'm a big fan of this trio:

Myra Melford, Mark Dresser,Matt Wilson

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » November 22nd, 2013, 8:56 pm

Coda wrote:I'm a big fan of this trio:

Me too.
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » November 24th, 2013, 9:04 am

This was one of my favorites from 2012

with Paul Motian and Thomas Morgan
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 4th, 2014, 6:18 am

Been enjoying the Denny Zeitlin trios on the 3CD Mosaic set
Cem

Postby Cem » March 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Some great ones mentioned...
Steve Reynolds wrote:the above Bley-Peacock-Motian trio is the one I wanted to see more than any other..

best I've seen live was Crispell-Guy-Hemingway

Yes to all, I was fortunate enough to hear them live, as well, in early to mid-90s… and I would add Anderson/Crispell/Drake, but lack of a bass may disqualify it, pardon my ignorance re: terminology.
Still haven't acquired any Trio M, but enjoyed what I've heard.

Richard Grossman's Trio w/ Ken Filiano & Alex Cline record Even Your Ears is a beauty.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”