Mike Nichols, R.I.P.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Mike Nichols, R.I.P.

Postby Ron Thorne » November 20th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Mike Nichols, 83, Acclaimed Director on Broadway and in Hollywood, Dies

By BRUCE WEBER
NOV. 20, 2014

Mike Nichols, one of America’s most celebrated directors, whose long, protean résumé of critic- and crowd-pleasing work earned him adulation both on Broadway and in Hollywood, died on Wednesday in Manhattan. He was 83.

His death was announced by James Goldston, the president of ABC News. Mr. Nichols was married to the ABC broadcaster Diane Sawyer. A network spokeswoman said the cause was cardiac arrest.

Dryly urbane, Mr. Nichols had a gift for communicating with actors and a keen comic timing, which he honed early in his career as half of the popular sketch-comedy team Nichols and May. An immigrant whose work was marked by trenchant perceptions of American culture, he achieved — in films like “The Graduate,” “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” and “Carnal Knowledge” and in comedies and dramas on stage — what Orson Welles and Elia Kazan but few if any other directors have: popular and artistic success in both film and theater.

Full Story
ValerieB
Founding Member

Re: Mike Nichols, R.I.P.

Postby ValerieB » November 21st, 2014, 2:56 am

a huge loss! I think I saw just about everything he touched in film and theatre. and of course started off as a fan when I was a kid loving Nichols and May.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Re: Mike Nichols, R.I.P.

Postby hornplayer » November 21st, 2014, 7:22 am

This is such sad news. I first saw him when he was just starting out with Elaine May at the old Compass on the Dock in Chicago. They were so funny. Acerbic. :(
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “R.I.P. (General)”