Ray Santisi, jazz pianist and Berklee professor — R.I.P.

bluenoter
Concierge

Ray Santisi, jazz pianist and Berklee professor — R.I.P.

Postby bluenoter » October 30th, 2014, 6:12 am

http://jazzpromoservices.com/jazz-news/ray-santisi-rip/
October 30, 2014

I got this email earlier today from

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston

Dear Colleagues,

It is with much sadness that I write to tell you that long-time Berklee faculty member in the Piano Department, Ray Santisi, passed away last night [October 29].

Ray was an alum of Berklee College and Boston Conservatory of Music and taught at Berklee for 47 years (since 1957). . . .

Information about funeral arrangements will be communicated once those are known.

Regards,

Jay Kennedy
      . . . Berklee College of Music

Excerpted, with a few edits, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Santisi:

Ray Santisi (c. 1933 – October 29, 2014) was an American jazz pianist, composer, arranger, recording artist and educator. He played as featured soloist with Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Mel Torme, Irene Kral, Herb Pomeroy and Natalie Cole, to name a few. He also performed with Buddy DeFranco, Joe Williams, Gabor Szabo, Milt Jackson, Zoot Sims & Al Cohn, Carole Sloane, Clark Terry and Bob Brookmeyer. He performed with his own ensemble, The Real Thing, and in the 1960s performed with the Benny Golson Quartet. He performed at Carnegie Hall and Boston's Symphony Hall.

Santisi was professor of piano and harmony at Berklee College of Music in Boston, where he had taught since 1957. He was awarded grants from the National Endowment for the Arts in composition and performance. He taught at Stan Kenton's summer jazz clinics throughout the United States as well as performing in Europe, Scandinavia, and Asia. He was a founder of the early Jazz Workshops in Boston. In 2008 he was nominated to the IAJE Jazz Education Hall of Fame.

His students included many notable jazz musicians, among them Diana Krall, Makoto Ozone, Joe Zawinul, Keith Jarrett, Jane Ira Bloom, Jan Hammer, Alan Broadbent, Arif Mardin, Gary Burton, John Hicks, Danilo Perez and Hiromi. To date, 14 of his students have received Grammy awards.

Santisi is the author of Berklee Jazz Piano and Jazz Originals for Piano.

R.I.P.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Re: Ray Santisi, jazz pianist and Berklee professor — R.I.P.

Postby hornplayer » October 30th, 2014, 1:14 pm

really sad news. :(
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 30th, 2014, 5:26 pm

I'm deeply saddened by this news.

Ray Santisi was one of my professors at Berklee in the early 60s, and he couldn't have been nicer or more supportive of students. His "rhythm workshop" classes were infectious and popular, working with a piano-based trio of students, including a bassist and drummer to hone that special relationship. It was in that classroom where I first saw and heard Tony Williams for the 1st time.

It's one thing to identify with your teachers as being older than you, but sometimes there's something inside you which feels or hopes they'll live forever. For me, Ray Santisi was one of them, as were Alan Dawson and Herb Pomeroy, whose passing preceded Ray's.

He was a handsome, well-dressed devil, too.

Ray Santisi, Milt Hinton, Alan Dawson
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 30th, 2014, 5:28 pm

It's just a soundcheck, but it's cool nonetheless.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » October 31st, 2014, 9:08 am

Somehow I knew you'd have a good story, Ron. :) Thanks.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”