Donald ' Duck ' Bailey RIP

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Donald ' Duck ' Bailey RIP

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 15th, 2013, 3:21 pm

RIP lived in SF Bay Area for quite some time

From the great bassist Victor Bailey's FB page:

"Last night my dad's brother, the legendary drummer uncle Donald "Duck" Bailey passed away in California. If you don't know there's a ton of Blue Note records and more with him on drums - all the original Jimmy Smith Trio records, Hampton Hawes, Carmen McRae,Dizzy Gillespie,Harold Land, Jimmy Rowles, Harold Land, Bobby Hutcherson, Buster Williams, Joe Sample, Grant Green, Red Mitchell, Sarah Vaughn, Carmen McRae ,Odean Pope
Mark Murphy, George Benson, Blue Mitchell, Pete Christlieb, Red Norvo, Charles Tolliver. That's where I come from......"
ValerieB
Founding Member

Re: Donald ' Duck ' Bailey RIP

Postby ValerieB » October 15th, 2013, 7:44 pm

thank you very much for posting this, Mike!
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » October 15th, 2013, 10:35 pm

I knew Donald Bailey from many concerts where he played (100+, for sure), and from a few jam sessions we were at together, as well as a guy from my neighborhood. If you don't know him or much about him, look here: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/an-old-blueprint-made-new/Content?oid=1371982
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » October 16th, 2013, 12:53 am

For several years in the 60's and 70's, Donald Bailey lived down the street from me in Greenburgh, New York. The street was called Alan Place. I was a kid; even after I was in high school and was listening to jazz, I had no idea that "Mr. Bailey," as he was known to me, was anything other than just some man who lived on the block, and who wasn't around much, for that matter; too busy, no doubt. If I had known who he was, I would perhaps have been bold enough to approach him and ask him about his experiences. Ah, well. RIP.
Praise Cheeses!

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”