RIP Ken Basman

Jazzooo
Founding Member

RIP Ken Basman

Postby Jazzooo » June 27th, 2016, 7:07 am

Most of you have never heard of him, but I think you should have. Ken was not only my best friend down here in San Miguel de Allende, he was also one of the most talented musicians I've ever played with. I met him 12 years ago and we became instant comrades in the fight to elevate a sagging jazz scene. We co-piloted several bands, from funk to straight ahead to blues/rock. he played everything with total concentration and conviction and creativity to spare.

One day one of us told the rhythm section to drop out, thinking that one of us would improvise for 8 measures alone. Both of us continued to improvise and at the end we laughed about it, thinking it had been a train wreck. But when we listened back, it sounded as if we had arranged and rehearsed the interlude. it was then that we realized how tight our connection was, and we continued to refine it--recording and gigging as a duo--until the day before his heart attack at the beginning of June. After the attack, he was recovering in the hospital but his system had been weakened by years of Hep C and diabetes and his lung collapsed, his kidneys failed and he got a sepsis infection which took him out on June 21, coincidentally the date of Glenda's birthday.

Ken was also a talented recording engineer and while he didn't suffer fools gladly onstage, he was amazingly helpful when in the studio with them. He has been a part of every single big musical dream I've had for my future.

I am devastated not just for my own loss but for his beautiful family.

Here is a clip of the two of us:

bluenoter
Concierge

Re: RIP Ken Basman

Postby bluenoter » June 28th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Please accept all my sympathy, Doug.

Here's a link to a remembrance of Ken that you commented on:

In Memoriam Ken Basman
I knew of Ken through your posts, but I see that musicians working in all sorts of genres also cherished him as a musical partner and friend. He must have eaten, breathed, and slept music!

Ken Basman

Descanse en Paz
Descanse en Música

Return to “R.I.P. (Jazz)”