Jazztalk is 1

Major items of interest to all
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jazztalk is 1

Postby Ron Thorne » June 22nd, 2014, 8:57 pm

This message went out via e-mail overnight, but in case your copy got caught by your spam filter or you missed it, here it is.

Greetings!

As Jazztalk approaches its 1st birthday, we thought it might be fun to have a proper birthday party on that day, Thursday, June 26, and continue through the last weekend of the month. So stop by Jazztalk and let everyone know what you've been doing (travel, music, family, summer plans, etc.), and invite some friends along. The more the merrier! We hope you'll join the hang on June 26th and share some "family" time together on Jazztalk's 1st birthday! We'll supply the refreshments.

See you then! :party:
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
jazzcaster
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jazztalk is 1

Postby jazzcaster » June 22nd, 2014, 9:27 pm

I've been a bad girl. Haven't been here for a while now. Been busy with work and hanging out with friends both on line and off line. Also, been hanging out with my sweetie. As for jazztalk's first birthday, I will be working that day. After all, I do have to pay bills. I may stop by on the 26th to celebrate, but I got no guarantees.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 22nd, 2014, 9:46 pm

Thanks for stopping by, jazzcaster. We appreciate it. Hanging out with your sweetie is a very important thing, and we never want to get in the way of those dynamics.

We'll leave the light on for you on the 26th, just in case. ;)
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » June 22nd, 2014, 10:28 pm

can hardly believe it's been almost a year already! incredible! I will definitely plan to stop by on the 26th. thanks for the invite.
randalljazz
Founding Member

Postby randalljazz » June 23rd, 2014, 1:10 am

appreciate the email. 8-)
"The person who sees into the future farthest is the person who sees into the past farthest." -- Bill Evans

www.randalljazz.com
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » June 23rd, 2014, 8:51 am

Work and travel have me pretty much snowed under (not literally, here on the Great Plains), but if I can't attend (much) I'm with you in swingin' spirit!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » June 23rd, 2014, 2:03 pm

I just haven't had the time to come up with an excuse for not posting here more.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 23rd, 2014, 5:15 pm

It was our pleasure to send out 1st birthday party invitations to the very people who have made this little experiment possible.

While we can't and don't want to compete with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., we still believe that there is value in a forum such as Jazztalk. That's why I've vowed to continue this mission, with the help of others, especially the able technical assistance of our webmaster, Justin.

In the coming weeks we'll be working on new strategies for increasing our membership. Justin has already tapped into new and improved ways to increase our visibility through various search engines.

Stay tuned, and please stay engaged to the degree that your precious time allows.

Thanks.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » June 24th, 2014, 3:36 am

:party:

Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » June 25th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Congrats on making your 1 year BD.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » June 25th, 2014, 5:24 pm

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 25th, 2014, 11:17 pm

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » June 26th, 2014, 5:07 am

Happy Birthday Jazztalk, and thanks to all the administrators, founders and folks who keep this place going...plus all the people who post and keep things lively!
LennyH

Postby LennyH » June 26th, 2014, 8:07 am

Congrats! 1 year old! Later I'll post in either my footsie pajamas or my iron man underoos.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » June 26th, 2014, 8:17 am

Happy 1.0 Birthday!
8-)
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » June 26th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » June 26th, 2014, 6:17 pm

I appreciate the invite! Congrats and thanks to Scott for taking the initiative and to Ron and Justin for keeping it rolling.

My life has been a bit of a rollercoaster since I split up with Glenda almost 3 years ago. Not my best decision, but I've heard that life goes on and what do you know--it often does. I started a passionate relationship with the wrong woman, which has been ending since last november. It took me to places in my home country of almost 9 years, Mexico, that I might never have discovered and there were lots of positives but peace wasn't among them.

I am now wrapping up almost 2 years of life on the Pacific Coast, north of the puerto Vallarta region, which has been a mixed experience--started the best trio of my life and met my new love, but also have witnessed the horrifying effects of tropical humidity on my beloved piano and other instruments. As a result, Denise--a lovely Hungarian Jewish Mexicana--and I are moving back to San miguel de Allende this weekend!

Beyond playing live, I've been working on a great project I'm calling The Ultimate Frank Rehak Website. Frank was a terrific bebop trombonist, a contemporary of Urbie Green, Frank Rosolino, Billy Byers back in the '50s and '60s, but his career was hampered greatly by heroin addiction. I met him when he came to Synanon to clean up for the last time, and we became good friends. IN fact, he was my mentor for a solid 15 years before his death in '87.

A couple of years ago, my friend and his widow Sandy sent me a box of literally hundreds of cassettes, albums and odds and ends with Frank soloing next to Cannonball, Miles, Trane, Basie, Evans (Gil and Bill), and it just goes on and on. Through some detective work, I also discovered more obscure groupings where Frank was heavily featured, such as an Ernestine Anderson project from 1963, some Charlie Barnett recordings and a piece that john Cage wrote specifically for Frank.

I decided to digitize it all and as of now I've got over 200 tracks and excerpts of Frank at his best from every era...including over a dozen of recordings that no one outside of the Synanon community has ever heard until now. You think he was attention-worthy when he was a junkie? Wait till you hear him straight and strong. i've also got amazing interviews with Frank where he talks about his career and misadventures, as well as planning his own celebration of life only weeks before he slipped into his final coma.

I hope to have the site go live, with links to the best recorded solos of his life and his stories, photos and so on, by the end of the year. It's taken a massive amount of time so far, but I might be getting near the end!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 26th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » June 26th, 2014, 7:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Ron (and sorry about the acknowledgment snafu). As soon as I have something ready, maybe we can do a little launch party here.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » June 26th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Couldn't let the day go by without stopping by to wish JazzTalk a happy first brthday!

not sure why this isn't expanding. Please click on the link. :party: :party: :party:
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 26th, 2014, 8:25 pm

ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » June 26th, 2014, 9:06 pm

I'm just realizing that I had posted birthday wishes on FB or email and not here. just want to give my thanks to Scott, Ron and Justin. your efforts, dedication, and blood, sweat and tears are most appreciated.

Doug: unbelievable roller-coaster, Dude. glad you have a fascinating project to hopefully keep you out of "trouble"!! LOL!! please keep us in the loop. take good care.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 26th, 2014, 9:11 pm

David Gitin
Founding Member

Postby David Gitin » June 27th, 2014, 2:19 am

Thanks to Ron for getting me back 'on' here and happy 1st year birthday to Jazztalk! :)
lazarus
Founding Member

Postby lazarus » June 27th, 2014, 10:16 am

:party:
Happy Birthday and thank you very much for keeping the Speakeasy spirit alive!!
Greetings from Lars in Sweden!!

Return to “Announcements”