Ron Thorne — R.I.P.

Major items of interest to all
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Ron Thorne — R.I.P.

Postby Gentle Giant » November 18th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Is no one left here? Still reeling from Ron's death. He worked so hard to get this JC alternative running and viable. He often asked me if I would share content I was posting on FB or other media to here, but it never engendered any action. Shame, but perhaps the appetite for a place like this just doesn't exist anymore. I know I only show up once a year or so at best. I came on here today assuming there would be a Ron Thorne RIP thread already, but couldn't find one. Maybe no one will ever read this. Oh well, I miss you Ron. I'm very grateful to have known you the past two decades.
bluenoter
Concierge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ron Thorne — R.I.P.

Postby bluenoter » November 18th, 2019, 8:30 pm

BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 19th, 2019, 8:42 am

I stop by when I have internet access. It's no so much looking for new content (though that would be swell); I'm just thinking of Ron and his efforts to build this.

When I settle into a life where there is reliable, omnipresent internet access, I would love to have a place like this to participate in music and peripheral conversation. For now, I'll say "thanks for joining me in remembering Ron".
rlfun

Postby rlfun » November 29th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Ron was such a good man and a good friend. And this site is so well done and such a wonderful resource. Many thanks to Ron and Justin and anyone else who played a role in keeping it going. I admit to being a bit scarce around here but it's not because I didn't appreciate it. I do. It's always gratifying to see so many knowledgeable, talented people that I know from JT and from the jazz site era. Very special. One thing is for sure, I'll never forget my friend Ron Thorne.
Dex

Postby Dex » December 8th, 2019, 5:08 pm

My first and only encounter with Ron was at the Jazz Corner website. He ripped me a new one for unknowingly transgressing some unknown or unwritten protocol related to new members and how they introduce themselves. Perhaps it was because I mentioned either the Blue Note Board or Organissimo Board - I can't remember how long ago it was. I never posted at JC again. It's been a while......

When Jazz Corner bit the dust, I saw that Ron had started a board of his own - and even though I never posted here, I gained a new respect for him as a lover of jazz and a bit of an elder statesman who hoped that this site would take off as a replacement for JC. It's too bad that it did not, but I admired him for his continued interest in the site and jazz in general.

I stopped by a couple of days ago and was saddened by the news of his passing. I went over to the Organissimo Board to start a thread, but saw that one already had been stated. Seems like Ron had a lot of friends over there.

Here's a link:

Justin - I don't know you, but I am sorry for your loss. From all accounts, your Dad was a great guy and a respected member of the online jazz community. Respected by me as well, in spite of our rocky start
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » December 10th, 2019, 10:21 pm

john williams
Founding Member

Postby john williams » December 31st, 2019, 9:46 pm

I doubt anyone remembers me. I was JBW on Jazzcorner. I always appreciated Ron's contributions and his flawless moral compass. He didn't know me from a bar of soap but offered an invitation to stay with him if I visited Alaska. I'm in Australia and still haven't made it over there. My travels have been postponed due to full time care of my wife Leeanne who passed 3 years ago.

Ron was a lovely man who I'll never forget. RIP.
Zula

Postby Zula » January 1st, 2020, 4:56 am

Farewell, Ron... lovely man, indeed. So glad you made it! Sorry you're gone...
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » January 20th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Hello, everyone

My dad's obituary ran in the local newspaper in Anchorage last week.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn/o ... fhid=15804

They required a black and white photo, so we went with this one I took of him back in 2010.

rct_bw.jpg
rct_bw.jpg (63.9 KiB) Viewed 72955 times
rlfun

Postby rlfun » January 23rd, 2020, 4:10 pm

Thanks for posting this, Justin. I really like the photo, too. It's Ron to a 'T'.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » February 20th, 2021, 7:26 pm

For sure. It was a look I know so well being presented in the photo.

Return to “Announcements”