Founding Member

Monterey Jazz Festival 2013

Postby ValerieB » July 9th, 2013, 8:42 pm

who is going? the line-up is wonderful!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: 2013 Monterey Jazz Festival

Postby Ron Thorne » July 9th, 2013, 10:11 pm

I'll take your word for "the lineup", as usual, but it's always nice to show it, too. ;)

Here's the link for the MJF page:

Monterey Jazz Festival

There are terrific Arena Artists and Grounds Artists, so look over the options carefully.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 9th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Thanks for getting this thread started, Valerie!
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 11th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Tim Jackson interviewed on today's show 56th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival preview....permission to play Gregory Porter's latest album a week prior to the release and a sampling from other participants!

1pm
Special Interviewed Guest: Tim Jackson with 56th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival preview hour www/montereyjazzfestival.org

Gregory Porter - Free - Liquid Spirit [Blue Note]
Gregory Porter - The In Crowd - Liquid Spirit
Dave Holland - The Watcher - Prism [Dare2]
Dave Douglas - Garden State - Time Travel [Greenleaf Music]
Marc Cary -Throw It Away - For The Love Of Abbey [Motema Music}
Roberto Fonseca - Gwana Stop - Yo [Montuno]
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » September 11th, 2013, 3:53 pm

not my faves from GP but i'm cool with whatever he does.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 11th, 2013, 6:26 pm

ValerieB wrote:not my faves from GP but i'm cool with whatever he does.

I agree about the new album.

Today's Blue Note does try to reel in singers, especially looking to hit a home run and go for popular appeal, rather than cutting the artist loose, which is what BN used to do, was allowed and encouraged on his 2 Motema records.

No label in their right mind would allow a song like "1960 What?" It's 12 1/2 minutes long.....what the hell were they thinking?!!? :?

That said there are a few *great* songs on 'Liquid Spirit' IMO and a number of others that are decent. Hey, he's one of those singers who can pick up the phone book and deliver a song.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » September 11th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Mike Schwartz wrote:
ValerieB wrote:not my faves from GP but i'm cool with whatever he does.

I agree about the new album.

Today's Blue Note does try to reel in singers, especially looking to hit a home run and go for popular appeal, rather than cutting the artist loose, which is what BN used to do, was allowed and encouraged on his 2 Motema records.

No label in their right mind would allow a song like "1960 What?" It's 12 1/2 minutes long.....what the hell were they thinking?!!?:thinking:

That said there are a few *great* songs on 'Liquid Spirit' IMO and a number of others that are decent. Hey, he's one of those singers who can pick up the phone book and deliver a song.

I believe Gregory was given complete freedom by Blue Note on the new cd. there are a bunch of tunes on Liquid Spirit that I really love!!
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 12th, 2013, 6:54 pm

I don't disbelieve that, but musicians do get advise, would find it hard to believe he toned it down that much on his own IMHO.
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » September 20th, 2013, 5:16 pm

After perfect attendance for 19 straight years, this will be the 3rd straight year I've missed.

I think this may be the best line up in a long time.

Have a great time everyone!
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 21st, 2013, 3:25 pm

peterdubya wrote:After perfect attendance for 19 straight years, this will be the 3rd straight year I've missed.

I think this may be the best line up in a long time.

Have a great time everyone!

I attended last night and enjoyed myself quite a lot.

Saw 4 acts....all were very good!
mutual friend Brad Stone last minute fill-in emceed Uri Caine, sets, saw the first one which was the bomb.

Will post a review in 'live music'

Saw Valerie for a minute which was an added bonus!!
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 30th, 2013, 9:57 am

Monterey Jazz Festival 2013: Some Memorable Moments
The Mosaic Daily Jazz Gazette got to check out this year’s 56th annual Monterey Jazz Festival on a gloriously beautiful September weekend. Any visitor to Monterey knows that you can’t catch all of the greatness, since so much is happening at the same time. Some of the performances we caught at Monterey 2013 that we found particularly memorable:

Joe Lovano-Dave Douglas Quintet. Much of the attention at this year’s Festival trained on two Wayne Shorter compositions commissioned by the Festival. Shorter earmarked these pieces for performance by Joe Lovano and Dave Douglas and their Sound Prints quintet. Listen to this interview with Lovano, Douglas and bassist Linda Oh following the Monterey premieres. We got to hear the band play them in the more intimate setting of Dizzy’s Den. Both new Shorter pieces — Destination Unknown and To Sail Beyond the Sunset — evidently inspired the band, egged on by drummer Joey Baron, who laughingly launched waves of carpet bombing and other percussive provocation, and more subtly, by Linda Oh’s sure touch and line.

Wayne Shorter Quartet. In this latest stop on the Wayne Shorter 80th birthday celebration journey, the Shorter quartet sounded decisive, emphatic and direct in Monterey. This group’s success relies heavily on the effectiveness of its telepathy (individually and collectively, their playing far transcends mere issues of technique); this time, their creative synchronization seemed virtually faultless.

Joe Lovano Us Five. Lovano wore lots of hats this year, as Monterey’s Artist-in-Residence. His Us Five group was in urgent, powerful form. In its current rendition, percussion seems especially out in front; the band’s two drummers, Otis Brown III and Francisco Mela, played off one another with particular effectiveness, making it abundantly clear how two drummers, playing together in one group, can move air so differently and yet tell their respective tales in such consistently persuasive ways.

Ravi Coltrane. Saxophonist Ravi Coltrane’s Monterey set surprised us, with overtones more strongly suggesting his father’s sound than we had heard from him in other settings.The signature Ravi Coltrane power, drive and seriously complex musical intelligence were all fully in evidence; his group, particularly the volcanic drummer Johnathan Blake, matched Coltrane’s intensity and commitment.

Claire Daly. Clearly relishing her Monterey debut, baritone saxophonist/flutist Claire Daly and her group (which swings at the drop of a hat) delighted her afternoon audience with an irresistible hour of Thelonious Monk compositions. Her set mostly offered less-often-played Monk, like Two Timer and Teo, along with a Light Blue constructed from near-seamless tradeoffs between Daly and bassist Mary Ann McSweeney. Their bonus: a “Holiday Medley,” replete with Daly’s vocal rendition of Monk’s lyrics to A Merrier Christmas.

Piano Trios. The Festival provided a refreshing respite from the crowds with its presentations of piano trios in a warm, intimate club-like setting (although happily for us, without the distractions of clinking glassware and smoke). This year, two pianists – Uri Caine and Orrin Evans – brought able trios to play three sets each. Caine offered commentary and ruminations in the art form of the piano trio, with bassist John Hebert and drummer Clarence Penn sagely chiming in. And in the set we heard, Orrin Evans opened the standard and the familiar, like Autumn Leaves, as intricately knotted affairs, like an escape artist letting himself get tied up. Then he engaged his alert cohorts, bassist Eric Revis and drummer Donald Edwards, to help him untie the knots without apparent effort.

Lou Donaldson. The 87-year old alto saxophonist (and newly designated NEA Jazz Master) Lou Donaldson gave a hilariously contemporary tutorial of the blues, backed by a game group including Akiko Tsuruga on her Hammond B3.

Bobby Hutcherson. Master vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson stepped into the slot vacated by the recent passing of pianist Cedar Walton. Hutcherson, battling health challenges, rallied surges of energy when it counted – particularly on Cedar Walton’s Bolivia. Yet on the eve of John Coltrane’s birthday, he summoned Coltrane’s spirit in his eloquent version of Dear Lord, to close the Festival. We suspect we’ll have to revisit the West Coast to hear this giant, whose harmonic approach and sense of space helped shape modern jazz as we know it today. Hutcherson closed his set on a wistful note, with his words, “Goodbye, Monterey.” Our hope: that he — and we — will be back.

-Nick Moy
http://mosaicrecords.tumblr.com/post/62 ... map=%5B%5D

Return to “Festivals”