Lake George Jazz Weekend 2013

Up-to-date information on Jazz festivals worldwide
David Beckett
Founding Member

Lake George Jazz Weekend 2013

Postby David Beckett » September 7th, 2013, 9:08 am

This one's been a Really fun part of my yearly calendar for a long while.

It's free. It's booked by Paul Pines who used to have a club in NYC called The Tin Palace, and it's a breathtakingly beautiful setting in a charming little Adirondack honky-tonk of a town called Lake George Village.

The drive is gorgeous too, at least from Burlington, VT.

This year is thier 30th anniversary festival.

It's free, too. Check out the programming this year:

http://www.lakegeorgearts.org/lakegeorge-jazz.htm
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
A friend to Jazz since 1982.
Obsessed with CHORO, powered by Bustelo.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Lake George Jazz Weekend 2013

Postby bluenoter » September 7th, 2013, 9:22 am

And just as a heads-up, as I write this, it takes place next weekend---
Saturday, September 14:
1 PM: Brian Patneaude Quartet
2:30 PM: Joel Harrison ~ Anupam Shobhakar Quintet
4:15 PM: Michele Rosewoman ~ New Yor-Uba Project

Special Saturday evening performance 7:30 PM:
New Gary Burton Quartet, followed by fireworks over the lake!

Sunday, September 15:
1 PM: Christian Howes ~ Southern Exposure
2:30 PM: Ben Williams ~ Sound Effect
4:15 PM: Dave Liebman Big Band
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 7th, 2013, 11:56 am

Sounds like a lovely setting for a music-filled weekend.

The Brian Patneaude Quartet is on the program next Saturday. Wow! Brian was a poster on Jazz Corner many moons ago. Small world.

Brian is a fine player. Here's a taste.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:Sounds like a lovely setting for a music-filled weekend.

The Brian Patneaude Quartet is on the program next Saturday. Wow! Brian was a poster on Jazz Corner many moons ago. Small world.

Brian is a fine player. Here's a taste.

Brian has been a friend of mine for years, since I lived in the Capital District. I once posted something on Jazz Central Station about a place in Albany that was selling cut-out jazz cds. He could tell from my post that I was talking about a local place and he emailed me. We agreed to start lending each other CDs to tape. (Jazz Central Station and tape.....you know it was long ago). At the time he was working part time in the Barnes and Nobel CD department as his music career developed. I'd meet him there during my lunch break to do the trades.

In talking jazz he mentioned that he was a sax player. He didn't have any ego and I didn't realize from our conversation how talented he was. He'd tell me about upcoming gigs and I checked him out when I could. He was very young then, but already good. Over the next few years he kept playing and improving, to the point where he is voted best local jazz musician in the local arts paper's annual poll every year. I have all his CD's, and the recent ones, especially, are killer. He's also a leading figure in promoting jazz in the Capital District, maintaining the albanyjazz.com website. Additionally, he used to (and may still) give sax lessons, and our own beloved Rollhead took some from him. (Don't hold that against him.)

He is still humble, an absolute music junky and an extremely nice guy. I always chat when I get a chance to see him play in the Capital District. Jan's family still lives there and we visit often. It's easy to find Brian playing out and we go to hear/see him when we have a chance. I also ran into him at a free Robert Glasper show in NYC a few years ago, and he was as friendly as always. I hope to be able to see him play at Lake George. It's always a well programmed event, and Saturday's lineup, which Brian leads off, looks great.

Return to “Festivals”