Saratoga Jazz Fest 2013

Up-to-date information on Jazz festivals worldwide
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Saratoga Jazz Fest 2013

Postby steve(thelil) » June 30th, 2013, 4:43 am

Jan and I spent the day at the gazebo (remote) stage at the Saratoga Jazz Fest. Saw Carmen Souza ; Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak with David "Fuze" Fiuczynski, Dan Weiss & Rich Brown; Ben Williams & Sound Effect and Gilad Hekselman Trio featuring Rick Rosato & Jeff Ballard. I enjoyed all 4 acts, and was blown away by Rudresh and Fuze. A great pairing.
The vibe was great as always, the music was fantastic and the SUN made an unexpectedly prominent appearance. Great day.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Saratoga Jazz Fest 2013

Postby Mike Schwartz » June 30th, 2013, 1:01 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Jan and I spent the day at the gazebo (remote) stage at the Saratoga Jazz Fest. Saw Carmen Souza ; Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak with David "Fuze" Fiuczynski, Dan Weiss & Rich Brown; Ben Williams & Sound Effect and Gilad Hekselman Trio featuring Rick Rosato & Jeff Ballard. I enjoyed all 4 acts, and was blown away by Rudresh and Fuze. A great pairing.
The vibe was great as always, the music was fantastic and the SUN made an unexpectedly prominent appearance. Great day.

Love both Fuze & Rudresh....certain I'd love them together!!

Many fond memories of SPAC jazz festivals.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 30th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Sounds like a terrific way to spend a Sunday, Steve.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 1st, 2013, 5:49 am

I hear you, Ron (although we were there Saturday).

In all the years I've attended (probably like 32 out of the 35), we didn't even leave the gazebo area where the serious jazzers and/or the less famous acts play to check out the main stage acts. Not because I'm old and lazy (although not that I'm not), but because we weren't bored by the Gazebo acts for a moment. Kudos to the Fest for how well scheduled it was. In addition to the 4 acts mentioned above, the Gazebo stage finished with Gary Smulyan's group. I love Gary, but by 6:00 PM Jan was ready to go out to eat and we split when we did in the hopes of getting an outdoor table at a restaurant on Broadway in 'Toga (the main street). And that worked out too!

Return to “Festivals”