The Kirk Lightsey Quartet and The Nick Hempton Quartet at Smalls Jazz Club - 6/9/16

Post your review of a Jazz event or a review you've seen. If it's not your review, please include URL or other attribution.
jtx
Commodore

The Kirk Lightsey Quartet and The Nick Hempton Quartet at Smalls Jazz Club - 6/9/16

Postby jtx » June 18th, 2016, 3:50 pm

I had the pleasure of wrapping up a quick business trip to New York City with an evening of jazz at Smalls Jazz Club and sister venue Mezzrow, both located on W 10th St in Greenwich Village. On the lineup were The Kirk Lightsey Quartet (Kirk - piano, Ed Cherry - guitar, David "Happy" Williams - bass, Sanah Kadoura - drums), followed by The Nick Hempton Quartet (Nick - alto, Joe Magnarelli - trumpet, Mike Karn - bass, Dan Aran - drums).

I came in at the middle of the set as Sanah Kadoura was trading solos with her bandmates, keeping things spare, playful and interesting. Her approach was well suited to the positive temperament of the crowd in attendance, as well as the cozy confines of Smalls. The group was very creative and Kirk seemed to be in his element. A couple of Korean businessmen took turns snapping photos of themselves at a real-deal New York jazz club, for immediate posting to social media. I pushed forward as spaces slowly opened up toward the end of the set, but the space really doesn't require you to be up front to enjoy the music. You can be anywhere you like and you are only a short distance away in any case.

Nevertheless, I managed to get a seat front and center as The Nick Hempton Quartet was getting set up. You can see above that from that vantage point, I was able to see Kirk and Smalls owner Spike having a fun chat, as well, as Kirk packed up. Once The Nick Hempton Quartet got started, the club filled right up again, and the show was on. Joe Magnarelli and Nick Hempton exchanged a lot of the melodic and solo work, and Joe had a tendency to point the bell of his horns directly at my head, which was fine by me. At one point, he also sat next to me in a chair that had opened up in front, to allow Nick to take an extended solo. They covered a variety of materials deftly, and their collective partnership yielded a great ensemble feel overall.

Next, I popped over for a brief visit to Mezzrow, which is the lower-key piano bar answer to Smalls more straightforward jazz club persona. The band playing just before midnight was billed as Rob Scheps (tenor) with Jamie Reynolds (piano) & Cameron Brown (bass). Not 100% certain it was them, but there was a bass clarinet front and center during the time I was listening. Apparently Rob also plays that instrument, so very well could have been him. I was in the very back of the club near the bar, behind a number of candle-lit tables that span the corridor leading up to the main listening room. Regardless, the band played with a laid back, relaxed style that fit the underground space well.

After a total of two hours spent between the clubs, I called it a night, and thanked Spike as I left Mezzrow for a memorable experience. I will be a visitor again the next time I am town.

Note: You can see most of the Nick Hempton Quartet in the outside photo of Smalls on the top left.

Return to “Live Music Reviews”