Sturdy-Comfy Hiking Boot Recommendations

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Coda
Founding Member

Sturdy-Comfy Hiking Boot Recommendations

Postby Coda » February 22nd, 2015, 2:52 pm

My winter boots are about shot. I've been looking for a new pair and was about to make a purchase when I realized that this is the exact type of topic that could generate a bunch of replies at jt. I'm open to suggestions and am hopeful someone has an equally good but cheaper recommendation on what to get.

My requirements:
I live in Boston so the weather is not extreme, well except this year. I do walk a lot, and day hike around New England about once a month. I'm looking for a waterproof boot that's comfortable to wear but will also hold up in the cold. I'm not extreme at all, comfort is important. My days of overnight camping and hard terrain are over.

I've landed on the Light-Weight Limmer Boots. http://www.limmerboot.com
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Sturdy-Comfy Hiking Boot Recommendations

Postby Ron Thorne » February 22nd, 2015, 4:34 pm

My days of "hiking" are over, but it almost sounds as if you might be happiest with a hiking shoe rather than a bulkier, heavier boot. When we hiked regularly as a family, my wife & I both used Raichle and were very pleased with them. They were a bit clunky, though.

If I were in your part of the country, I might try some boots/shoes on at L. L. Bean. In our area, I'd likely head for R. E. I. and do the same.

LLBean

REI

Danner , Keen and Merrell make excellent footwear.

Limmer boots look like a fine choice, too. I don't know what you're budgeting, but they look pricey.

Mens's Keen Targhee II Waterproof Hiking Shoes

This hiking shoe gets really great reviews on LLBean's website with 47 of 60 buyers giving it 5 stars! 14 more buyers gave it 4 stars. And, they're "reasonably" priced.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Coda
Founding Member

Re: Sturdy-Comfy Hiking Boot Recommendations

Postby Coda » February 23rd, 2015, 2:01 pm

I like the LLBean stuff and was considering the Men's Storm Chasers, Lace-Up Boot

LLBean boots are similar in style and material as my last set, which was made by Coleman. I know Coleman is a much lower quality brand than LLBean so I should give this consideration. LLBean is back in style with the young folks too. Most of their boots are back ordered six months or more which is one of the reasons why I'm leaning to that Linner boot.

Return to “The Alley”