Recipes

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Recipes

Postby Ron Thorne » July 5th, 2013, 9:09 pm

We have several great cooks on this board, including June Jacobs (hornplayer), Clint Hopson (moldyfigg) & Jimmy Cantiello, among others.

So, here's a thread where we can share recipes of all types, from the most simple & basic, to the most complex and elegant.

I have a few to share tomorrow.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: Recipes

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 6th, 2013, 8:23 am

Ron, hopefully I'll be able to participate on this thread. However, being the hack cook that I am I usually don't go by set recipes. Sure there are basic techniques that one should adhere to but my style is "shoot from the hip". To put my style of cooking in musical terms, I guess you can say it's a post 1965 Coltrane style. ;)
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Ron, hopefully I'll be able to participate on this thread. However, being the hack cook that I am I usually don't go by set recipes. Sure there are basic techniques that one should adhere to but my style is "shoot from the hip". To put my style of cooking in musical terms, I guess you can say it's a post 1965 Coltrane style. ;)

I like your style just fine, Jimmy. 8-)

I remember several of the dishes you talked about putting together on a thread at Jazz Corner, and enjoyed your narrative a lot.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 8th, 2013, 8:30 am

Ron Thorne wrote:
Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Ron, hopefully I'll be able to participate on this thread. However, being the hack cook that I am I usually don't go by set recipes. Sure there are basic techniques that one should adhere to but my style is "shoot from the hip". To put my style of cooking in musical terms, I guess you can say it's a post 1965 Coltrane style. ;)

I like your style just fine, Jimmy. 8-)

I remember several of the dishes you talked about putting together on a thread at Jazz Corner, and enjoyed your narrative a lot.

Jimmy just doesn't want to write down the recipes. I hope he will.... ;)
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 26th, 2013, 3:59 pm

After much trial and error several years ago, I came up with what I think is a very healthy, tasty Muesli recipe.

Muesli ~

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup rolled barley
1 cup rolled rye or millet
½ cup diced dried apples or pears
½ cup golden raisins*
½ cup turbinado (raw) sugar
½ cup wheat or barley bran
½ cup wheat germ
¼ cup chopped or slivered almonds*
¼ cup sunflower kernels or pumpkin seeds

Makes 8 cups

Note: All ingredients can be found at a health food store or the natural foods section in your supermarket.

*I also substitute dried currants for raisins, chopped pecans for almonds, and usually add a few chopped, dried dates.

In a well-sealed container, this cereal will keep almost indefinitely.

Place in a bowl and add milk. Allow to soak for at least 5 mins. before eating.

— Recipe from Peppercorn Thorne
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 27th, 2013, 4:12 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:.......... To put my style of cooking in musical terms, I guess you can say it's a post 1965 Coltrane style. ;)

Welcome to the Chaotic Kitchen.

Problem is we don't eat until midnight after Jimmy finishes soloing.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 27th, 2013, 8:49 am

I made that yesterday and I was as always baffeled how good and simple this is.measures approx.

pasta with smoked salmon

Pack of pasta (last nite I used spaghettis)

1/2 cup onions or shallots cut small.

1cup heavy cream

350 gramms of smoked salmon.

Cook pasta aldente.

Sauce
soften onions in butter when translucent add cream. on slow heat bring it to a simmer. then add the salmon which you have shredded into pieces. voilà.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 11th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Patti makes this extraordinarily delicious hummus, and you can too. We just had some the other night with Naan as a part of our Punjab Eggplant & Basmati Rice dinner. Hummus can be made with several different beans or peppers, but we usually use garbanzos. Lentils are also very good. It is a little time-consuming, but totally worth the effort.

Hummus

Ingredients:

One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 to 3 tablespoons water
Dash of ground paprika for serving

Process:

In the bowl of a food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl then turn on and process for 30 seconds. This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making smooth and creamy hummus possible.

Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt to whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then process another 30 seconds.

Open can of chickpeas, drain liquid then rinse well with water. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor then process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, add remaining chickpeas and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth.

The hummus may be too thick or still have tiny bits of chickpea. To remedy this, with the food processor turned on, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until the consistency is perfect.

Serving:

Scrape the hummus into a bowl then drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the top and sprinkle with paprika.

*Hummus may also be frozen in a tightly sealed container with no ill effects.

Return to “The Alley”