Beer — "all things malty and frothy"

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: Beer — "all things malty and frothy"

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 4th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Took my son and daugher-in-law to a local joint today for lunch before they headed back to Philly. Prime 16 is known for great beers, burgers and bourbon. Their draft menu changes daily as the beer is depleated. Lots of drafts as well as bottles. We sampled some of each. For my part, I got a Smuttynose Gravitation Quadrupel on draft. It comes in at 11.5% abv. I also got a bottle of Wells Banana Bread Beer. Yes, it had a subtle banana bread taste. Gimicky, yes, but very good.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: The Beer Thread

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 9th, 2013, 5:17 am

Had two lagers at a noodle bar Saturday night. One was from Laos and the other was from Thailand. Both went well with my pork belly bao and pho tai.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » May 16th, 2014, 4:11 am

Study Finds That Beer Goggles Are An Actual Thing (As If We Had Any Doubts)

http://www.thefrisky.com/2014-05-14/stu ... ubexchange
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » May 16th, 2014, 6:36 am

Had a couple of these at our recent end of tax season party, very nice.

"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » June 29th, 2014, 9:36 am

Sitting by the pool here in Viginia. Joanne and I brought our friend Lou Lawrence a sixer of Captain Lawrence Kolsch style beer from The Captain Lawrence Brewing Company out of Elmsford, N.Y. We also got him a Captain Lawrence logo pint glass. He was very appreciative. I rooted around the beer cooler to try one. Only came up with Corona and Coors Banquet. Ugh. Apparently he hid the good beer. Drat!

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 29th, 2014, 11:50 am

Something tells me that I'd probably dig Captain's Kölsch.

Darren brought a 6-pack of these home after visiting his cabin this past winter. They're brewed in Talkeetna, Alaska by Denali Brewing Co., just down the road from where we met you, Joanne and your "posse" a few years ago, Jimmy. It's a nice, well-balance Irish Style Red Ale, and goes down smoothly.

"For years local air taxis have ferried mountain climbers to the base camp on the south side of Denali,
flown flight seeing tours over "The High One," and dropped off backpackers and other outdoor enthusiasts
in all corners of the Alaska backcountry. Denali Brewing Company draws the inspiration for its red ale from Talkeetna's
rich aviation history. Brewed with five choice American and European malts and just enough hops for balance, we hope
you find Single Engine Red a suitable compliment to your next Alaskan adventure, whether in the air or on the ground."
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » June 29th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I'll bet a good plan would be to down two or three of those just before taking off on a flight to Ruth Glacier. ;)
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 1st, 2014, 6:37 am

Went to a joint in Fredericksburg, Va. yesterday called J. Brian's Tap Room. Had a couple of brews from a local brewery called Devil's Backbone. First up was their Vienna Lager. Nice, good for quaffing. Next up was their Eight Point IPA. Seriously bitter. I would have preferred a little less bite but I crushed it nonetheless.

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 1st, 2014, 7:08 am

Great to see a post by Jimmy! Hey Bro!

Lagunitas has a brand new (and limited time offering) DELICIOUS dark beer called Night Time. It's bitter/hoppy and extremely malty in a bitter chocolate/espresso type of way. AND, they are selling the bombers very cheap. Highly recommended!

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 1st, 2014, 8:02 am

steve(thelil) wrote:Great to see a post by Jimmy! Hey Bro!

What up, my brother! Good to see you too.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 1st, 2014, 11:26 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:I'll bet a good plan would be to down two or three of those just before taking off on a flight to Ruth Glacier. ;)

Yep! 8-)
LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 2nd, 2014, 7:33 am

Great to see you back, Jimmy. Missed your food and beer posts, and the rest too.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 2nd, 2014, 7:55 am

How ya doin', Lenny? Good to see you too!
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 2nd, 2014, 10:21 am

I love when I find this on tap, except that they always serve it in a 10 oz. glass, when what I want is a pint.
Attachments
kentuckybourbonbarrelale.jpg
kentuckybourbonbarrelale.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 2nd, 2014, 10:52 am

How dare they! Perhaps it's because of the 8.2% alcohol content?
Looks like a good beer. :#1:
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 6th, 2014, 12:41 pm

Currently sitting on my deck on a beautiful Sunday afternoon enjoying a Magic Hat Elder Betty, an elderberry flavored weiss-style ale. Nice and refreshing and it suits the day perfectly.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2014, 12:54 pm

The image went away on your last post so I added one back for you, Jimmy. That sounds very interesting.

Here's what I enjoy from a local pub/pizzeria ... Moose's Tooth/Broken Tooth Brewery. They began offering 6-packs of two of their many micro brew offerings recently. Chugach refers to the mountain range which rings the eastern portion of Anchorage. Broken Tooth is the name of a mountain peak near Mt. McKinley/Denali.

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 6th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Thanks, Ron. For some reason some of the images I've posted in the past do not have much staying power. I don't know why but maybe it has something to do with me getting older. :D

Anyway, I noticed in your last post the beer from Broken Tooth Brewing is offered in cans. Yet another example of a serious craft brewery moving back toward the can, which offers many advantages. Interesting.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 13th, 2014, 6:35 am

Had a very nice Indian beer with my fiery hot lamb vindaloo last night. Haywards 5000 came in a 22oz. bomber. It's described as a premium lager. Checking online I see an abv percentage of anywhere from 7 to 7.5 depending on where you look. I'm pretty sure the bottle I was served showed an abv content of 8.8% on the label. No matter, it was refreshing and went down easy, finishing with a slight sweetness.

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 13th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Had two nice beers today at an out of the way joint that featured, get ready...live Jazz. First up was a lager, their (203) from Stoney Creek brewing out of Branford, Ct. although the label says the brewery is located in Bloomfield, Ct. This is most likely a case of contract brewing, a practice that I find misleading to say the least. Nice beer but a little light for my tastes. It weighs in at 4.7 abv. Then I went to a Belgian style saison from Overshores out of East Haven, Ct. It's a very small brewery dedicated to Belgian style ales. I try to stay local wherever I find myself. The lager was good (whoever brewed it) but the saison from Overshores made me a little happier. It had a nice nutty flavor with slightly sweet overtones. This particular brewery intrigues me because they are a very new...and small brewery and their offerings come and go at a whim. That's kind of cool but frustrating because you never know what's available at any one time or...if you can ever get something you liked again. I guess that's like asking Miles to play a solo exactly like he did the last time. Apparently Overshores leans heavily on improvisation. A good thing in my opinion.

Oh, and the live Jazz consisted of a keyboard and an acoustic bass with actual people playing the instruments. Nice intimate music. The guy on the Yamaha keyboard did some vocals ala Mose Allison and the bass player was connected to his instrument for sure. At my request, they agreed to play the theme song of the movie and tv series M*A*S*H ( Suicide Is Painless). The keyboard player put a twist on the song by playing it as a slow ballad. I never heard it played like that before. Nice!
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 17th, 2014, 7:11 am

Had a couple of beers last night at Cafe Nine in New Haven while enjoying Mario Pavone's Street Songs/ The Accordion Project.

The first brew I had was a Sea Hag IPA from Woodbridge Brewing Co. out of Woodbridge, Ct. The glass I had was a draught as opposed to the can. The abv was a respectable 6.2%. However, it was over-the-top bitter. Good but one was enough. Second was a bottle of the tried and true Dead Guy Ale from Rogue in Oregon.

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 20th, 2014, 8:05 am

Had a nice beer last night at dinner called Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Brewery in Colorado. The beer came in a can. It's a Czech style pilsner that has an abv of 5.3%. It would make a good session beer for sure.

Here's a description of the beer from the Oskar Blues Brewery website.

"Oskar Blues’ Mama’s Little Yella Pils is an uncompromising, small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czech Republic, famous. Unlike mass market “pilsners” diluted with corn & rice, Mama’s is built with 100% pale malt, German specialty malts, and Saaz hops. While its rich with Czeched-out flavor, its gentle hopping (35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) make it a luxurious but low-dose (by Oskar Blues standards) refresher."

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 20th, 2014, 12:05 pm

One of our favorite haunts, Moose's Tooth Pizzeria & Pub has (for the 1st time ever) offered a limited release of several of its specialty & seasonal beers. I bought a bottle of Double-Vine Tripel which I'm waiting to share with one of our sons. These are 22oz. bottles, and you may notice that the ABV is not on the shy side, with one at 11.8%.

Their brewery is Broken Tooth Brewery.

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 20th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Damn, Ron. I can't see an image. All I see is a little magnifying glass with a plus sign in the middle. When I click on it I get a blank screen with two magnifying glasses, one with a plus sign and the other with a minus sign. It's probably my android tab that's at fault. Same thing on my phone. Bastards!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 20th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Damn, Ron. I can't see an image. All I see is a little magnifying glass with a plus sign in the middle. When I click on it I get a blank screen with two magnifying glasses, one with a plus sign and the other with a minus sign. It's probably my android tab that's at fault. Same thing on my phone. Bastards!

Sorry about that, Jimmy. Could be your android. Are you not seeing any images on this page, or just my most recent one?

Justin & I have been talking about the means by which most Jazztalk members access the site, with this very potential problem in mind. Justin checked out most available platforms, but there are always going to be puzzling problems.

Watch for a poll that we're about to launch on the subject.

Return to “The Alley”