Cameras & Photography

Random and varied thoughts & topics
BFrank
Founding Member

Re: Cameras & Photography

Postby BFrank » March 8th, 2014, 11:07 pm

Coda - I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about the on-screen resolution here. We like your images, and I think they only need to be as big as Ron's or mine for us to appreciate them.

If you have an web-based portfolio to promote your work, then you would probably want to do some tinkering.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 9th, 2014, 4:26 am

I'm not a fellow photographer; I'm merely a would-be viewer of this thread (and other image-heavy JT threads, such as WAYLT). But I need to dissent here.

Coda, re #165, wrote:making it smaller. Is this better?

No, it isn't---not for me, using the desktop computer, monitor, resolution settings, and browser that I use for everything, every day (unless some whole website requires a different browser).

Coda and others, this screenshot (which itself is reduced, but one can still note the proportions) is what I see in #165:

Ron Thorne, addressing Coda, wrote:My (landscape) photos above are 800x600 pixels. I never post larger than 1024x768, to prevent the need to scroll on laptops. I think that's the size you posted. Right?

The image that Coda posted in #165 is 1200x842. (For everyone's info.: On a PC, one can see that by right-clicking on the image and then clicking View Image Info. or Properties. Sorry; I don't know the equivalent steps on a Mac or various portable devices.) Ron, if you want to prevent the need for me---and quite possibly others---to scroll, on my desktop computer---you could stick to 800x600 or thereabouts.

By contrast, the reduced screenshot that I posted above is
704 pixels wide. What I see is that it nearly fills JT's posting area. If an image is, say, 800 pixels wide, my setup can "make the adjustment" in what is displayed. If an image is much wider than that, my setup can't "make the adjustment."

Coda, you seem to be concentrating on resolution settings for your photos at the git-go---perhaps while they're still in your camera. But there are many ways to resize the images that have already come out of one's camera (or been borrowed from some website) before posting them on JT. One can do that using any "built in" image viewer or dozens of free image viewers that can be found in a Google search and downloaded. And #165 in particular is from Flickr. Are you familiar with this menu on Flickr?

If you click on an image in your Flickr photostream, you will get to the screen in that screenshot, which shows the bottom right of the screen. Clicking on the three red dots brings up the popup menu containing View All Sizes. Then Flickr presents the image in several sizes, and one can choose which size to post.

As I said, folks, I'm not a photographer; I'm just a would-be viewer of image-heavy JT threads. But I'm pretty sure that there are at least a few others like me---I know that Uli used to be one---who would greatly appreciate it if people check the size of the images that they're about to post on JT and resize them downward if necessary---after they've emerged from one's camera (or been plucked from some website).

Mahalo---thanks. :)
Image           Image     
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » March 9th, 2014, 6:57 am

800 pixels for the long edge, okay. I'll update the Lightroom settings for future pictures. I'm afraid that resizing existing pictures will break the links.

The resizing used by Flickr creates artifacts in the pictures. I apply export sharpening that changes based on the final size of the picture. I wish Flickr allowed me to save settings for each size but they don't.

Test Bacon!
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 9th, 2014, 7:31 am

It would be a max of 800 pixels for the long side if the long side is the width; the height doesn't matter. I see that even 800 pixels wide (as in Bacon!) currently requires that I scroll a leeetle bit if I want to see the entire photo, but that might change once there's a fresh page of this thread. Frankly, I'm content with not scrolling and therefore not seeing a very small portion of a photo. A max of 800 pixels wide would certainly be a big improvement for me; besides, 800x600 is a standard choice on Flickr, and I know that Ron often chooses from the sizes available there.

Thank you, Coda! And for this thread in particular, if other posters don't wish to do that, or if you change your mind, I'll understand; it's just that I probably won't open the thread.

:music:
Image           Image     
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » March 10th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Ok, I'm a dummy!;) Could one of you guys tell me how to post photos on this thread? Perhaps it's unrelated but I tried to put up an avatar next to my name way back when and was told I'd have to change the size (?), I just said fuggit. Will I have the same problem if I try posting a pic? Forgive my ig'nance!
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » March 10th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Canton, MA. I found a path behind a building complex just off their main street. Converted to B&W, that's about all.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » March 10th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Coda wrote:Image
Canton, MA. I found a path behind a building complex just off their main street. Converted to B&W, that's about all.

Perfect in B&W, Coda!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 10th, 2014, 7:12 pm

This snapshot was taken after a lovely anniversary dinner last Friday evening at Duke's Canoe Club on Kalapaki Bay.

What a beautiful bride!

Closeup of Patti's Anniversary Lei
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 11th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Patti & I are were driving in the northern part of Kauai a few days ago and stopped in one of our favorite spots for a few minutes to enjoy a sandwich in our car. It started to rain, and without the windshield wipers on, a wonderful change occurred as I looked out at the ocean and the pier at Hanalei. Using one of my old school 50mm lenses, I was able to replicate that vision ... one of my favorite shots thus far on our trip.

Hanalei Pier
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 12th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Kilauea Lighthouse

Tropical Flowers
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 13th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:That's a stylish new avatar you've got there, chazro. ;)
It sure is---

Scott Dolan wrote:Though, I should have made Rita do it...
:|
Image           Image     
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » March 13th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Outstanding! Thx Scott! The pic is of a glass display (in the ceiling!) That I wasn't supposed to take, no cameras allowed, in a museum. Taken with my trusty little Canon G10. Used to own big old 35MM's and digital cameras and a buncha lenses but not anymore. Now I scratch the itch with the G10, a tremendous little guy that's easy to carry (and hide!);)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 14th, 2014, 1:10 am

Nice photo, Chaz!

More to discuss on the subject of photography, I'm sure.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 14th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Surfer at Hanalei Bay
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 14th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:
Surfer at Hanalei Bay

Whoa! Whatever combination of photographic gear that was, the result is quite striking and (to my eye) distinctive, and I hope you use that combination some more. I also hope that you post that photo at 500px.com and maybe submit it elsewhere---such as to a relevant user group on Flickr or maybe even to a stock photo seller.
Too bad the setting was so drab and unaffecting. ;) (Like, take me there right now!)
Image           Image     
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » March 14th, 2014, 5:32 pm

My guess is it's the new Olympus.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 14th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Coda wrote:My guess is it's the new Olympus.

But in combination with a certain one of the five (?) lenses he took with him or under some other special conditions?

I have to say that my first look may have been the best, but in that first look, the photo knocked me out; I don't know why. (Edit: In my third look, it knocked me out again.)
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 14th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Thanks very much for the kind words, Rita. The lighting conditions here are remarkable in so many ways, and yesterday it was particularly interesting when we pulled into Hanalei. Massive clouds can provide great drama but also diffuse and alter light in magical ways.

Yep, it was taken with my Olympus E-PL1, Coda. I was using the manual zoom kit lens that came with the Olympus, actually. I changed lenses so many times yesterday that I was uncertain at first.

I posted that image on 500px, but it received a somewhat mild response from the community. C'est la vie.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 15th, 2014, 11:16 pm

This is one of our very favorite beaches. It was also the 1st place where my feet touched the ocean. Sublime.

Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » March 16th, 2014, 5:51 am

Irish Dancers yesterday afternoon. Happy St. Patrick's Day
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 17th, 2014, 1:46 pm

This lovely tree-lined street leads to the former Gay & Robinson sugar mill. We drive down it every time we visit Kauai. It's so nostalgic and peaceful.

Kaumakani Avenue

Street Lamp Detail
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » March 20th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Some shots from my recent trip to SXSW

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 31st, 2014, 2:23 pm

Very nice live shots, Brooks. The ambience is palpable and the colors are rich.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » March 31st, 2014, 2:29 pm

Oregon Cherry Blossoms

Washington Park Camelias

Lush Oregon Woods
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 9th, 2014, 1:27 pm

While in Hawai'i recently, I took hundreds and hundreds of photos, mostly landscapes, florals and seascapes. There are many other things worthy of photos, but some are very elusive. We were surrounded by birds of all types, including gorgeous songbirds, Moas (chickens), seabirds, pigeons, doves and mynahs.

Wild boars and geckos also abound but are often difficult-to-impossible to photograph. They appear when you're not ready and are extraordinarily quick to disappear.

I'm still going through my digital photo files, but found two shots that I'm lucky to have gotten, a pair of Common Mynah birds on a railing in Waimea, Kaua'i where we were having lunch, and a Japanese White-eye bird. This tiny little beauty was eating flowers on a plant only a few feet from me while I sat on our lanai having coffee. Unfortunately, this beautiful little bird has become an invasive species in Hawai'i. It's a very fragile ecosystem.

Japanese White-eye

Mynah Distraction

Return to “The Alley”