Food For Thought

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Food For Thought

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 7th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Actually, Clint, grits and polenta are basically identical. The only real difference being the type of corn used.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
moldyfigg
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moldyfigg » July 7th, 2015, 12:53 pm

I'm beer brining some hot smoked chicken thighs today. I think some grits would work with that.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 28th, 2015, 8:33 am

Here's an article about Connectcut-style lobster rolls.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 1st, 2015, 12:39 pm

:lol:
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 1st, 2015, 12:58 pm

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 3rd, 2015, 8:49 am

When I make pizza, I don't use sauce, just good raw tomatoes or Sam Marzano with garlic, etc. The heat of the over cooks th tomatoes and they come out much sweeter.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 4th, 2015, 6:44 am

Ron, like Clint, I usually don't use a tomato sauce per se. My preference would be to use canned San Marzanos which are already cooked. I just use the  mashed or blended tomatoes, not the juice (too watery). And...I use the tomatoes sparingly on a pie. More often than not, I prefer a white pie (pizza without tomatoes or tomato sauce). If you prefer to use a prepared sauce I would recommend Classico brand sauces of which there are several varieties. Or you can use a quality brand of crushed plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano.

As for dough, I usually buy it from a local pizza joint or the supermarket. You just have to make sure when you're ready to use it that it's at room temperature and it has been rested. Also, do not roll out the dough with a rolling pin. That will only stir up the gluten and make the dough tough. It will not bake properly. One other thing, preheat your oven (and pizza stone) to the hottest temperature it can attain. Most likely that will bee 500 degrees. Hope that helps.

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 4th, 2015, 10:23 am

I tried a Lydia Bastianich egg dish today. Break eggs into a cold non-stick plan which had a bit of oil. Add salt, a sprinkle of dried oregano and grated Parmesan, cover pan and cook for about five minutes over low heat. Excellent and different.

I make amy pizza dough in the Cuisinart processor - half unbleached white flour and half semolina, yeast, EVOO and salt. It just takes a couple of minutes.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 4th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 5th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Ron, when you buy pizza dough from a pizza joint it's usually at room temperature and ready to use. If you decide to store it in the fridge, take it out and bring it back to room temp before using. If you buy the dough from the supermarket it will be refrigerated or frozen.

As for forming the pizza here's a little tutorial.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 5th, 2015, 12:35 pm

8-)
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 6th, 2015, 7:21 am

I was surprised to see Tony Gemignani roll out the pizza dough in that tutorial. As I said before, I'm not a fan of that method. I find that it causes the dough to tighten up and resist being stretched. But, he's an expert in pizza making so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. By the way, Gemignani's pizza joint in San Francisco is pretty awsome. They make just about every type of pizza there. Joanne and I really enjoyed our visit there.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 19th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » April 23rd, 2016, 6:17 am

Everything looks top notch, Ron!
timoleon
Founding Member

Postby timoleon » April 26th, 2016, 7:16 am

southside bistro looks like great joint,unfortunately a bit far for me...
what kind of music do they play there?
i would like some otis redding for example while enjoying their vegatarian dishes!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » May 4th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 7th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Return to “The Alley”