Happy Birthday, America!

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Happy Birthday, America!

Postby Ron Thorne » July 3rd, 2013, 9:38 pm

This is a birthday when we traditionally go a bit nuts, with food, drink and ... fireworks.

Tonight, for the 1st time, I actually heard the decree from our former president, John Adams, to celebrate with fireworks:

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.[6]

Adams's prediction was off by two days. From the outset, Americans celebrated independence on July 4, the date shown on the much-publicized Declaration of Independence, rather than on July 2, the date the resolution of independence was approved in a closed session of Congress.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Happy Birthday, America!

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 3rd, 2013, 9:47 pm

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 3rd, 2013, 10:01 pm

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 3rd, 2013, 10:05 pm

Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 4th, 2013, 10:59 am

In light of the unfortunate events in Egypt, this Fourth is especially meaningful for me. How the fuck does a country "suspend" the constitution?
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 4th, 2013, 3:32 pm

The military always holds the ace in Egypt (and Turkey). A fact for which we can be grateful.

Rah, rah, USA.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 5th, 2013, 4:14 am

Not a huge fan of this holiday.

No person could get elected to rule in any country in the world without proclaiming exceptionalism from the rooftops whether he or she actually believes it or not.

Everybody is special, and his/her own country is the most special. Just ask Monte.

Yers,

Boston Wimpy
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 5th, 2013, 4:18 am

Some nice Tolstoy quotes on patriotism:

The intensification of this terrible feeling of patriotism has reached the utmost limits, beyond which there is no room for it to extend.

Above all, they perpetrate every kind of injustice against other nations, provoking enmity towards their people, & then exploit that enmity.

Among adults they kindle patriotism by spectacles, jubilees, monuments, and by a lying patriotic press.

In the schools they kindle patriotism in the children w/ histories describing their own people as the best of peoples & always in the right.

Every Emperor and King obtains more fame the more he is addicted to patriotism.

Every writer, teacher, and professor is more secure the more he preaches patriotism.

Patriotism and its results--wars--give an enormous revenue to the newspaper trade, and profits to many other trades.

Every official prospers more in his career the more patriotic he is; the soldier gets promoted in war--war is produced by patriotism.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 5th, 2013, 5:26 am

walto wrote:Everybody is special, and his/her own country is the most special. Just ask Monte.

I've always loved Paraguay.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 5th, 2013, 8:15 am

walto wrote:Not a huge fan of this holiday.

No person could get elected to rule in any country in the world without proclaiming exceptionalism from the rooftops whether he or she actually believes it or not.

Everybody is special, and his/her own country is the most special. Just ask Monte.

Yers,

Boston Wimpy

I get the day off, so I'm for it.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 5th, 2013, 8:34 am

Monte Smith wrote:
walto wrote:Everybody is special, and his/her own country is the most special. Just ask Monte.

I've always loved Paraguay.

Another great pick of yours.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 5th, 2013, 8:50 am

walto wrote:Another great pick of yours.

They've got everything. Dirt, a river, parrots.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 5th, 2013, 9:00 am

Scott Dolan wrote:
Jimmy Cantiello wrote:In light of the unfortunate events in Egypt, this Fourth is especially meaningful for me. How the fuck does a country "suspend" the constitution?

What's the real difference between suspending it or simply ignoring it like our leaders do?

Hey, maybe you're right. When it comes to our last several Presidents, maybe we should take a lesson from Egypt and oust the guy in charge and replace him with somebody just as corrupt.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 5th, 2013, 9:06 am

Scott Dolan wrote:That's what we do every four to eight years.

Ha, ha. touché...
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 5th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Monte Smith wrote:
walto wrote:Another great pick of yours.

They've got everything. Dirt, a river, parrots.

You said it. OTOH, to be a REALLY REALLY great country (I mean like the abfab U.S.A.) you've got to be involved in a scores of absurd futile yet lethal activities all over the globe. Paraguay has a lot of catching up to do in that dept. I can see why you make them only your number 2.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 5th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Paraguay has started a war with every adjacent neighbor, walto, sometimes taking them all on at once.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 6th, 2013, 5:02 am

Well, that IS something I suppose, but that staying near home business is nothing a true American like you can countenance.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 6th, 2013, 1:07 pm

And then, of course, there is the Jesuit history in Paraguay. Don't listen to Voltaire on this subject, for he is a cunt (Scott, can we say that on this board?). Finally, there is the Paraguay national soccer team. They are going to shock us all at the World Cup in Brazil next summer, I can feel it. Paraguay--no solemente un pais. Es mi pais. Or something like that. That's a billboard from ruta uno outside the airport.

Return to “The Alley”