Soccer/Football

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Soccer/Football

Postby Monte Smith » July 1st, 2013, 6:51 pm

Soccer/Football 2013-2014 Season

Hey soccer fans. I see Uli is a member here, so at least there are two of us. Hopefully more will come.

Today was the first day at work for David Moyes, new manager at my club Manchester United. First new manager the club has had in 26 years. He follows on Sir Alex, the most successful manager (I assert) in world sports. Good luck to him.

Just finished up the Confederations Cup, a minor but interesting tournament. Brazil won it. Plenty of talent on that team but watching the game, my mind was blown by one particular play--an incredible goal-line clearance by defender David Luiz. Luiz gets a lot of stick because of his ridiculous hair (he's universally derided with the nickname Sideshow Bob) and his occasional habit of forgetting his responsibilities to gallop forth like a demented ostrich. But he's certainly grown as a player in the last season, he's no noob Playstation defender, and his clearance against the Spaniards was a thing of vision, athleticism, and then luck. Treat to see. Look forward to watching him under Mourinho.

Season kicks off in August. I'm going to be doing a fantasy league with the BPL website if anyone wants to join, PM me. I'll send details as we get closer.
uli
Founding Member

Re: Soccer/Football 2013-2014 Season

Postby uli » July 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

I am game. do you know any good soccer tweeters?

Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 1st, 2013, 7:22 pm

Thanks for posting that, Uli. How did that not go in?

I don't follow Twitter, but of course I hear a lot of tweets get re-hashed in the media. I would follow Joey Barton for shits and giggles. Rio Ferdinand also seems prominent.

For soccer news and commentary, I chiefly read the Yahoo Euro Sport iPhone app and the Guardian. Also listen to the Guardian twice-a-week podcast, currently on hiatus. I used to get the Times of London, but it hasn't been distributed in the US since the crash of 2008. I listen to TalkSport FM on the internet, too.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 13th, 2013, 11:09 am

Thailand League All-Stars 1 0 Manchester United, but Zaha looked great.

Big news today at Arsenal. Making good on his promise to finally splash money around on big name signings, manager Arsene Wenger is set to agree to a new, longterm contract to remain at the Emirates. Well done, Professor.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 13th, 2013, 11:41 am

Thought Moyes was a terrible choice....especially when they could have had Mourinho, or Mancini.
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 13th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Blue Train wrote:Thought Moyes was a terrible choice....especially when they could have had Mourinho, or Mancini.

Uh...Mancini, really? I like Jose but I think the common wrap on him is right: he tends to splash cash and dash. Nothing wrong with getting great players and winning, and I think Mourinho inspires his players (though he sure didn't inspire Madrid much), but United is a different deal. At least United and United fans think so. Maybe the thinking is outdated, maybe it was never right, maybe the way of the game really is to buy quality managers and change them out, but United think differently. They want to build team after team after team and rely on the "United DNA" of high expectations and history to bring them continued success, and they think Moyes is a manager who can deliver them that.

I don't think Moyes is a terrible choice, I suspect he is a good choice. However, perhaps United bought "the young Fergie" when maybe the young Fergie isn't what is needed. Who knows? And also however, Moyes is going to have incredible pressure on him--already has it. Any successor would have it. But they'll be calling for his head if United lose to Wigan at the Community Shield.

It'll be a great season: Jose back at Chelsea, some new Chilean at City, new man at United.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 13th, 2013, 1:44 pm

I honestly think they picked Moyes to follow The Man....because they wanted someone to be a stopgap in-between.

- Duke Ellington
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 13th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Blue Train wrote:I honestly think they picked Moyes to follow The Man....because they wanted someone to be a stopgap in-between.

No, I don't think so at all. Lord Ferg was always going to name his successor, not a make-do. I'm sure SAF admires what he sees in Moyes, who he's known since Moyes was a player. Ferg coached him somewhere, maybe it was the Scottish set-up. Anyway, they are similar characters.

On the other side of it, who is out there in the managerial firmament that United wanted but couldn't get this summer? You're not thinking Mancini.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 13th, 2013, 4:45 pm

As a Reds fan like you....you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

- Duke Ellington
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 15th, 2013, 5:19 am

Qatar set to purchase 118 tanks to prepare for 2022 World Cup

Mike Prindiville Jul 14, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
4 Comments
Qatar WC
Qatar is set to purchase 118 Leopard tanks and 16 tank howitzers from Germany in preparation for hosting the 2022 World Cup.

German newspaper Bild am Sonntag made the announcement Sunday claiming the oil-rich nation will pay several billion dollars to German defense manufacturer Krauss-Maffei Wegmann and defense tech group Rheinmetall.

The deal comes after the government of German Chancellor Angela Merkel approved the initial purchase of 62 Leopard tanks and 24 howitzers this past spring.

Arms exportation has long been a sensitive issue in Germany. After World War Two, West German and united German governments placed tight restrictions on arms exports, especially to regions where there were armed conflicts or which had poor human rights records.

Over time, however, restrictions have laxed and now Merkel’s opposition in the upcoming Chancellor election set for this September, Social Democrat Peer Steinbrueck, is claiming that if he wins he will put the clamps on the current arms export surge.

As to Qatar, the decision to ramp up security appears to be a reactionary move to the increasing number of violent incidents surrounding world football, and, in particular Brazil, as it prepares to host the 2014 World Cup next June.

More: Brazilian soccer match ends in brutality

More: FIFA responds to Brazilian protests with $100 million social fund
More: FIFA denies Confederations Cup will be cancelled as protests intensify
Skip to Comments (4)
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 15th, 2013, 10:49 am

Speaking of Brazil.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... abs-player

P.S. It leaves out they also quartered him.

- Duke Ellington
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » August 6th, 2013, 10:08 am

Come play Premier League fantasy (soccer) football. Playing is free and easy. Create your team at:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

You can play in multiple leagues. The one I've created is called Cup Whiners Cup. Code to join this league: 464124-119577. My team is called Real Melchester (and we're defending champs of last year's Liga De Dreamo).

Enjoy the game! Invite a friend! All are welcome.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 10th, 2013, 11:51 am

With talk of Wayne Rooney possibly being shipped to Chelsea....am I the only one that finds it amazing he's only a couple years older than me? Seems like he should be in his mid to late 30's.

- Duke Ellington
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » August 17th, 2013, 5:55 am

After 5 games into the new season my BSC Young Boys lead the Super League with 5 victories.

This weekend is a cup round.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » November 19th, 2013, 8:42 am

Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 19th, 2013, 10:59 am

Hallelujah on that video, Uli. Thanks for that. Ghana lost to Egypt on the night, but won in aggregate and are off to Brazil for next year's cup. Where, no doubt, they will knock off the USA. They are a bit of a bogie team for us. Love the praise song, though.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » November 19th, 2013, 11:49 am

Monte Smith wrote:Hallelujah on that video, Uli. Thanks for that. Ghana lost to Egypt on the night, but won in aggregate and are off to Brazil for next year's cup. Where, no doubt, they will knock off the USA. They are a bit of a bogie team for us. Love the praise song, though.

Yep. Next up on Espn2 Sweden/Portugal and France/Ukraine on live ticker. Allez les Bleus!
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » November 19th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Les Bleus, ils seront au Brésil l'été prochain!
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 20th, 2013, 8:24 am

Can't believe the French made it. Boo. I mean congrats, but boo.

The Ronaldo v Zlatan final for Greatest Player Ever/WC qualification was great. Portugal thoroughly deserve the win, but I'll be sorry not to see Ibra in Brazil.
Dickran (ran)
Founding Member

Postby Dickran (ran) » November 24th, 2013, 3:10 am

In the context of the W.C. I could give a good fuck about it. Ask me in June and I'll probably say that I pick the Netherlands to win it. Brazil as the host country should be favorite , but I don't see it that way. Spain is getting long in the tooth and they look tired. Germany on the other hand are a great tournament team and I've always believed in youth. Italy for me is the one team that will make some noise. I could go on but what remains the same is that 4 years ago , I and most of us probably picked the same countries to win.

Monte , you and I should put a few shekels together and play England at 22 to 1 , why not ? The odds will go down once the groups are selected. I asked a friend of mine in Manchester to place a bet and he flat out told me that he would rather put it on Italy , who are at 16 to 1.

As for the EPL. I am enjoying this season. I am being patient with MU , there is no where else to be. The next few weeks will tell us what we need to know. After the Arsenal game , I was overjoyed , not so much for the 3 points but by the team effort that was put forth. What troubles me right now and I can't believe that I'm saying this , is the absence of Carrick , for any extended length of time.

Arsenal doesn't have a big enough squad. Chelsea , I don't care who manages them is not the same team from 6 years ago. Man. City is strong just as long as Tourre is involved , but he seems to fade in and out. Liverpool , don't get me started , just on principal. I am impressed with South Hampton. Everton is always tough. Tot. I don't know , I've yet to see what 120 million has brought to this team. BTW: Bale being sold for that much was the steal of the century , for Tot. He's no where near the player that Ronoldo ( CR7) is or going to be. When Ronoldo went to Madrid he was already a champion , what did or what had Bale done ?

More to come but I'm tired and I've been drinking..................again.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 25th, 2013, 6:37 am

Cardiff game...can't blame you for drinking....
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » November 27th, 2013, 8:16 am

waiting for ManU vs Leverkusen reviewing yesterday's hilites

uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » December 6th, 2013, 9:34 am

walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » December 6th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Who do people like in each group?
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » December 7th, 2013, 5:39 am

A Brazil, Mexico
B Spain, Netherlands
C Greece, Ivory Coast
D Italy, Uruguay*
E France, Ecuador**
F Argentina, Nigeria
G Germany, Portugal
H Belgium, Korea

*I will be rooting for England
**Uli's Switzerland could easily take place of France

walto, a year or so ago you asked about a new kid in soccer, Arsenal's midfielder Aaron Ramsey. He is currently tearing up the Premier League and scores goal after goal. Good call.

Return to “The Alley”