David Letterman Announces Retirement

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

David Letterman Announces Retirement

Postby Ron Thorne » April 5th, 2014, 3:15 pm

My wife, family & I have been longtime fans of Late Show with David Letterman, though we haven't been so enthusiastic about the show over the past few years. Despite that, we were surprised and saddened to learn that sometime next year, David will be "wrapping things up and takin' a hike", along with bandleader Paul Schaffer.

The following article in yesterday's Washington Post pretty well sums up our thoughts on the matter. Music and musicians is another matter of great interest, of course.

Letterman’s replacement: Can he (or she!) please be a grown-up?
By Hank Stuever, Published: April 4

David Letterman’s surprise announcement Thursday that he will vacate CBS’s “Late Show” chair sometime in 2015 once again sets in motion a favorite American guessing game about the future of late-night television.

Letterman’s lasting contribution to popular culture is the cynically pregnant pause that follows: Television? Nobody’s watching television anymore! What’s a late-night show in a culture that watches tiny bits and pieces of it the morning after?

That’s Letterman’s greatest skill — convincingly pretending that his three-plus decades and counting on bedtime TV (21 of them on CBS) have been a happy accident that somehow goes out over the airwaves night after night; it’s all been an egregious programming mistake, about which the host is eternally humbled and awfully sorry.

Letterman’s idea of fake humility, rooted in what has always appeared to be a Midwestern sense of self-deprecation, is infinitely preferable to new “Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon’s idea of fake humility, which appears more and more to be rooted in the vacuity of show biz, where the kissing-up never stops. (Happily, the host of ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live” seems unburdened by any need to project false humility. Because it’s funnier that way.)

But Letterman’s aw-shucks nature is not all viewers will miss after the host leaves. As it’s played out, Letterman is the lone grown-up in the broadcast networks’ 11:35 lineup and one of the last hosts anywhere who can engage in what was once known as a light conversation with anyone from freshly hatched starlets to elder statesmen.

A light conversation is not a competition between two people trying to outmaneuver each other, as viewers occasionally see on “Kimmel”; nor is it a clever pantomime of a conversation built on the post-irony of our mutual disdain for media (Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report”); nor is it a preliminary and fawning bit of chitchat that is merely an overture to a game of beer pong or a balalaika-flute jam between Vladi­mir Putin and Sarah Palin — or whatever set of antics Fallon so clearly prefers to actual talk.

Who should replace Letterman? Rumors fly — and quickly flocked Friday to the enormously talented host of “The Colbert Report,” comedian Stephen Colbert, 49, who since 2005 has kept aloft a neocon news shtick long past the George W. Bush era it was meant to lampoon. “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” is admittedly a tantalizing and easily envisioned idea, in which the “Colbert Report” persona would be ditched in favor of a disarmingly funny late-night host.

There’s also an heir apparent, perhaps only in a very technical sense, in 51-year-old Craig Ferguson, who has hosted CBS’s after-Letterman “Late Late Show” for nine years now. Ferguson’s show often exhibits the signs of mania that accompany the fear that nobody is watching. Whether he wants the job or not (or whether CBS will find some way around the protocol of offering it to him), Ferguson’s conversational skills can often be top-notch. (Disclosure: I appeared as a guest on “Late Late” in 2009 when I was promoting a book.)

Should it be a woman? (Ellen DeGeneres? Chelsea Handler?) Should it be someone who isn’t white? (W. Kamau Bell, perhaps? Chris Rock?) Should it be someone who upsets convention? (Bill Maher?) Should it be someone who is most like Dave? (Conan O’Brien? Or Louis C.K.?) Or someone who is the least like him? (Jay Leno — LOL + sad tuba bleat. After all the ink and all the ballyhoo, wouldn’t that outcome serve us right, in a culture that can’t stop making sequels?)

It’s exhausting, making a decision on which we’ll never have any real influence. I’d quietly hoped — and perhaps you had, too — that we’d get at least a year or two of relative calm on the late-night front, enough time to see if Fallon, who will soon turn 40, can sustain the impressive ratings he’s been earning since “Tonight’s” relaunch a mere six weeks ago.

Lately I find myself preferring to watch Kimmel, 46, who traces his desire to be a late-night host back to his teenage years when he would faithfully watch and admire Letterman. Kimmel has steadily and sturdily built a show that appeals to both younger and older audiences. Whatever pleasure I drew from Fallon’s first few episodes of “Tonight” quickly cooled; the show’s youthful energy has become a frenetically grating birthday party that never ends.

Although Letterman presented his retirement to his viewers as a personal decision — couching it in a sweet little story about a fishing trip with his 10-year-old son — anyone who’s paid attention to the late-night wars over the years knows that it also has to do with ratings and the network’s bottom line. It’s likely that Letterman and CBS look at Fallon’s ratings as a wearying challenge; after some 6,000 broadcasts, it’s just another climb up a less attractive mountain. The tweeting, the viral ­video-making, the constant need for fresh buzz — who needs it, at his age?

Letterman, a leading-edge baby boomer, turns 67 next week. That’s retirement age in an ideal world, even if boomers don’t like to be told when to hang it up. As opposed to his 63-year-old rival Leno, who transmitted his resistance to being shown the door once more, Letterman has a Johnny Carson-like opportunity to show an American audience the value in stepping aside and handing off an important piece of our popular culture to the next generation.

I hope that the person who gets his job will, in turn, present a show that looks and feels as if it belongs on CBS. That doesn’t mean old, but it does mean something ineffable and increasingly impossible to describe in an era in which all media formats are in a state of reinvention. I’m simply hoping for a “Late Show” host who knows what it means to be a funny adult.

Viewers like me who have been watching David Letterman for three decades can at long last relate to the ever-fainter nostalgia of Jack Paar fans. You know the usual refrain: An era is going away and taking something with it, and so on and so forth — the very sort of sentimental pap at which Letterman would pretend to mockingly grimace. In the next year or so, I hope he continually reminds us that it’s only television.

hank.stuever@washpost.com
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
sozamora
Founding Member

Re: David Letterman Announces Retirement

Postby sozamora » April 10th, 2014, 2:47 pm

And Stephen Colbert is taking over!

I guess the Cancel Colbert twitter thing worked.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 10th, 2014, 5:08 pm

sozamora wrote:And Stephen Colbert is taking over!

I guess the Cancel Colbert twitter thing worked.

Very interesting. I was aware that Colbert's name was among those being considered, but I was unaware of a replacement for Dave having already been decided.

Thanks for the heads up, Sergio.

Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman
By James Hibberd on Apr 10, 2014 at 11:59AM

It’s official: Stephen Colbert will replace David Letterman as CBS’ Late Show host.

The broadcast network has tapped the 49-year-old Comedy Central host to take over the late-night franchise.

CBS has made a five-year deal with Colbert, which was announced Thursday by CBS Corp. CEO Les Moonves and CBS Entertainment chairman Nina Tassler.

“Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” Moonves said. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”

Full Story
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » April 11th, 2014, 3:10 am

My daughter's school is taking over! (Both Colbert and Myers are Northwestern alums.)
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » April 11th, 2014, 8:16 am

I just wrote most of this in an e-mail reply to someone—

I haven't watched Letterman for decades. I don't watch the Colbert Report either, but I've seen clips of Colbert in action, and I admire him greatly for the White House Correspondents Dinner address years ago in which he ripped Dubya Bush a new one.

the EW article quoted in #3 wrote:Colbert is expected to shed his ultra-conservative Colbert Report character for Late Show . . .
ABC News wrote:Colbert told ABC News that he will ditch his current alter ego for his new role. "I won't be doing the new show in character, so we'll all get to find out how much of him was me," he said. "I'm looking forward to it."

First, I can't imagine him doing conventional (or "neoconventional") late-night hosting, and second, the new gig will remove that politically sharp and effective character from view ("politically sharp and effective" comparatively, in the milieu of entertainment offerings). I also predict that the new show will fail and that Colbert won't get an opportunity to reinstate his character somewhere else.

I don't like it.
Image           Image     
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » April 11th, 2014, 9:44 am

I'm with Rita about 60%. The other 40% trusts that the guy is a genius and will figure out a way to pull it off.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 11th, 2014, 1:34 pm

While I understand and appreciate bluenoter's reservations about Colbert replacing Letterman and dropping his alter ego, I'm very optimistic about his abilities and intelligence making him a logical replacement for Dave while not losing everything we've admired. And, his brand of sarcasm won't be left behind. He's a very smart cat! For me, the choice was a no-brainer. Finally, for millions who don't have cable, it will be their 1st chance to enjoy this very talented man on a nightly basis.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » April 11th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Maybe he can do the show in his Strangers with Candy character.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 11th, 2014, 4:58 pm

sozamora wrote:Maybe he can do the show in his Strangers with Candy character.
Good one, Sergio. :lol:

Here's a very recent indication of how smart, clever and funny Colbert is, airing just prior to the BIG announcement.

bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » April 12th, 2014, 8:40 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Here's a very recent indication of how smart, clever and funny Colbert is, airing just prior to the BIG announcement.

I was ROTFL as soon as I saw the segment's logo!

Now I'll go find other already-aired Colbert Report episodes online and spend as much time as necessary watching them.
Image           Image     
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » April 14th, 2014, 7:51 am

walto wrote:My daughter's school is taking over! (Both Colbert and Myers are Northwestern alums.)

Me, Too! :)

Who's "Myers?"
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » April 14th, 2014, 11:23 am

hornplayer wrote:
walto wrote:My daughter's school is taking over! (Both Colbert and Myers are Northwestern alums.)

Who's "Myers?"

Seth Meyers

Seth is the new host of Late Night, following The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon.

Return to “The Alley”