West Side Story

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

West Side Story

Postby Ron Thorne » January 22nd, 2014, 4:59 pm

Patti & I were totally blown away by the stellar performances we witnessed Sunday at the matinee offering of West Side Story at our performing arts center.

There are many glowing adjectives I could use to describe this national touring company's level of professionalism, but one word sums it up ... stunning! We were a little concerned when we read that some minor changes had been made in the revival, including the addition of a sprinkling of Spanish in the lyrics, but those few changes were deftly handled. The pit orchestra was simply the finest I've ever heard ... period. An orchestra of about 12 musicians sounded at least twice that size, and were impeccable in their delivery. Many players doubled (and more) on their instruments. We each experienced goose bumps and tears on several occasions. Bravo!

This outstanding company may be coming to a city near you. If so, don't miss it!

http://broadwaytour.net/west-side-story-tour

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: West Side Story

Postby Ron Thorne » January 22nd, 2014, 7:46 pm

When I was a teenager, I was head-over-heels in love with Natalie Wood, especially after seeing her on the big screen in West Side Story in 1962. In this incarnation of West Side Story, however, not only does the young lady playing Maria (MaryJoanna Grisso) look stunning, she sings like an angel. Here's proof of her physical beauty. Appropriate examples of her musical ability are a bit more difficult to find online.

MaryJoanna Grisso

Interview
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » March 11th, 2014, 5:14 am

I may be mistaken, but the woman who was cast in Broadway (if this is the same production and if this is the same actress) was cast from a video submission!

LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS! LET'S GO METS!
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » March 11th, 2014, 7:53 am

Mr. Met wrote:I may be mistaken, but the woman who was cast in Broadway (if this is the same production and if this is the same actress) was cast from a video submission!

That was a different actress: Josefina Scaglione, who originated the role of Maria in the 2009 Broadway revival of West Side Story directed by Arthur Laurents.

Wikipedia, in its entry on her, wrote:In 2008, director Arthur Laurents, unable to find an actress in the United States appropriate for the part of Maria in a Broadway revival of West Side Story, discovered Scaglione after friends in Buenos Aires directed him to a YouTube clip of her performing Ástor Piazzolla's composition Libertango. Laurents flew Scaglione to New York City to audition, where she immediately received the role, despite the fact that she was unknown in the United States.

Ron saw Troika Entertainment's non-Equity national touring production, which is based on the 2009 Broadway revival. The remaining dates and links to the various official ticket sources are here.
Image           Image     

Return to “The Alley”