Sports you used to follow that you hardly do now.

Random and varied thoughts & topics
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Sports you used to follow that you hardly do now.

Postby steve(thelil) » November 20th, 2013, 5:52 am

What sports did you used to follow that you hardly do now, and why?

When I was a kid I was a big fan and follower of Track and Field. I don't think the sport has changed in ways that make me follow it less. I think what has changed is that it is just not covered on TV or in the press like it used to be.

When I was a kid, I remember that when someone broke a record in a sprint or the mile or the high jump or the pole vault is was a BIG sports story; the story of the day. I remember big headlines topping the Sunday NY Times Sports section when John Pennell did the first 16 foot pole vault, when then greatest miler, New Zealander Peter Snell beat American Jim Beatty in a "battle of the giants" in the mile, when American John Thomas competed against Russian rival Valerie Brumel in the high jump, when Dallas Long broke the record in the shot put, etc. etc.

And then there was Jim Ryun. When he as an American became the greatest miler in the world, he was a BIG hero. When he set a world record of 3:51.3 it was a HUGE accomplishment. Even when he was the first high schooler to run a sub four minute mile it got a lot of coverage.

It wasn't just newspapers. Major track meets were frequently televised on the networks on weekend afternoons. And for evening track and field events like the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden, it would be telecast live local station Channel 9 or Channel 11.

Today, I don't think that you can usually even find a small story in the newspaper when a world's record is broken in Track and Field. I read the sports section of the Times and several sports web sites every day, and other than Usain Bolt, I can't remember the last time I even noticed a story about a world record being broken.
pig pen
Founding Member

Re: Sports did you used to follow that you hardly do now.

Postby pig pen » November 20th, 2013, 5:58 am

I used to follow football and hockey almost obsessively. I find myself completely uninterested in the gladiator sports because that's what they have become to me.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 20th, 2013, 8:20 am

i'm busy picking up new sports like cricket, which I started investigating about a year and a half ago. Complicated sport! The bi-annual "Ashes" competition will take place for the second time this year (?) starting tonight. Or tomorrow? It takes place in Austrailia and I'm set to Tivo it, but all the press I read is Greenwich Mean Time, so the time shift is mind-bending. Anyway, like all great games it takes place over twenty-five days or so. It's not like you blink and you miss it.

Go England!
cookie
Founding Member

Postby cookie » November 20th, 2013, 10:06 am

I used to be very heavily into baseball. Watched the Red Sox like it was a religion. Now I follow it via news , but rarely watch regular season games.

I also used to watch a lot of football, but just can't get into it anymore.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 20th, 2013, 10:13 am

Professional Bicycle Road Racing used to be my life and livelihood. After Lance Armstrong's first TdF "victory", I gave up all hope. I should have given up earlier, instead of simply being disgusted and disheartened.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » November 20th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Roller Derby, really enjoyed it back in the day. I'd probably still watch it if it were still being shown! Used to watch tons of Tennis and Basketball but now the only sports I'll watch regularly are Football and Boxing.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 20th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:What was it about his first win that hit you so hard?

Two things. First, it was clear that he was doping. I published an article about it - admittedly based on fact+conjecture, not something verifiable. Every subsequent "win" just added to the feeling.

Second, Armstrong is the biggest a**hole I've ever met. Greg LeMond was arrogant, but could back it up, and he could also be humble. LeMond revered the sport, its traditions and history. Armstrong shat upon them, telling the French that the Tour de France really wasn't a big deal, compared to, say, the US Championship. (Especially then, and continuing to today, Americans overall - with a few exceptions - don't even rate in the sport.)
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 20th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Now knowing what we know, you're feelings have certainly been vindicated. Good for you for being ahead of the curve, though.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I raced for many years (poorly, and not just because I didn't "dope"), so it's easy to identify unexplainable performances.

As for being vindicated, I would have preferred to be proven wrong, for the sake of the sport. (Just a personal thing; cycling was my love. It was a little like being vindicated when you think your spouse is cheating on you; not an entirely positive feeling. :| )
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » November 21st, 2013, 8:51 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Yeah, I completely understand that.

Not being a fan of the sport I found myself pulling for him simply because of what he overcame. And though the truth started becoming more apparent as the years went by, it was still a story of note.

And part of me can also put the self-promotion aspect aside and appreciate what he did for cancer victims and kids.

Shifting gears (no pun intended), I grew up in Oakland in when the '72, '73, '74 A's were world series winners. I could still name pretty much the entire lineup. And the mule.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Re: Sports you used to follow that you hardly do now.

Postby Monte Smith » November 21st, 2013, 10:40 am

My new hero, England bowler Stuart Broad, on what it is like to have 30,000 Australians singing that you are a wanker: "It was something a bit different but I think I coped with it OK. I'm pleased my mum wasn't in the stadium. But to be honest I was singing along at one stage, it gets in your head and you find yourself whistling it at the end of your mark – but not putting the words in, obviously. I'd braced myself to expect it and actually it was good fun, I actually quite enjoyed it if I'm being really honest."
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 22nd, 2013, 12:25 am

Now there's a man with his feet on the ground.

I followed the New York Mets in 1968 and 1969. I was 10 and 11. It was the right time to root for the Mets. After that I lost interest and have followed no sports at all in the intervening years. The only exception is if France is in the World Cup. When that happens I don't actually have to "follow" it since there is no way to avoid hearing all about it, and I will watch the matches France is in, or most of them, along with overexcited French friends swearing and shouting and complaining. Luckily the maximum frequency for that is four years.
Praise Cheeses!
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 22nd, 2013, 5:09 am

Get your blue vuvuzela ready, Tom. You no doubt heard the screaming: France made the cut in most dramatic fashion and will be at the party in Brazil this coming summer.

Return to “The Alley”