We're an older crowd here I do believe

Random and varied thoughts & topics
jwaggs
Founding Member

Re: We're an older crowd here I do believe

Postby jwaggs » January 4th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Goody now believes that Louis Satchmo is you. I gave him that idea.

You are welcome
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » January 10th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Though I unfriended "Louis" on Facebook, anybody can "follow" me, and friends of friends can comment on my posts. But I just blocked him for good when on my tribute to Max Roach on his birthday "Louis" asked about Max beating his wives and girlfriends.
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » January 10th, 2014, 2:00 pm

I knew something was up when he canceled our meeting in Detroit due to a supposed ankle sprain that same morning. I believe he sprained his ankle by having one foot in Chicago and one in Detroit at the same time. I remember when "Doc Martin" didn't show up to David Gitin's reading and I think there were some claims by "Lenny the Guitarist" that he'd be somewhere.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » January 10th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Pete C wrote:I knew something was up when he canceled our meeting in Detroit due to a supposed ankle sprain that same morning. I believe he sprained his ankle by having one foot in Chicago and one in Detroit at the same time.

You'll meet just about anyone, huh. Sheesh.
crawjo

Postby crawjo » January 11th, 2014, 10:18 am

I'm 36. When I joined JC in 2003, I was 26. At that time much was made about my age. (I remember that when I turned 27 Clint Hopson made a joke that he had pairs of underwear older than me.) I think it's probably a bad sign for the music (or for the community) that I still seem to be basically the youngest person around, or one of the younger persons, 10 years later.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » January 11th, 2014, 10:56 am

Pete C wrote:Though I unfriended "Louis" on Facebook, anybody can "follow" me, and friends of friends can comment on my posts. But I just blocked him for good when on my tribute to Max Roach on his birthday "Louis" asked about Max beating his wives and girlfriends.

1. Not to buy into pissing on a birthday tribute to Max Roach, but I have to ask---was he thought (or known) to have beat his wives and girlfriends? I searched but couldn't find any such reference.

2. Last night (having read Pete's post) I dreamed that I was trying to remember Max's last name, and I just couldn't. Smith? Jones? I thought of searching but didn't quite get that far. I associated Max with the name Brownie and vaguely thought of albums featuring the two of them, but that didn't help. When I woke up, I remembered the dream and found that I knew Max's last name perfectly well. It seems very strange that I couldn't access that info. while dreaming.
Image           Image     
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » January 11th, 2014, 11:06 am

Hell, David -- I'm 61 and I'm practically a kid at the jazz concerts I go to.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » January 11th, 2014, 11:15 am

Hey, another new member! Welcome, crawjo---you seem like a promising sort. :)
Image           Image     
LennyH

Postby LennyH » January 11th, 2014, 8:37 pm

crawjo wrote:I'm 36. When I joined JC in 2003, I was 26. At that time much was made about my age. (I remember that when I turned 27 Clint Hopson made a joke that he had pairs of underwear older than me.) I think it's probably a bad sign for the music (or for the community) that I still seem to be basically the youngest person around, or one of the younger persons, 10 years later.

Spoken like a true young whipper-snapper.

For context: I'm 47 and Clint made me feel like a young punk for not shaving every day. So, maybe he's not such a good measuring stick? But it's true that our beloved music is going to become less and less appealing to future generations. Sad but true.
crawjo

Postby crawjo » January 11th, 2014, 9:29 pm

LennyH wrote:
crawjo wrote:I'm 36. When I joined JC in 2003, I was 26. At that time much was made about my age. (I remember that when I turned 27 Clint Hopson made a joke that he had pairs of underwear older than me.) I think it's probably a bad sign for the music (or for the community) that I still seem to be basically the youngest person around, or one of the younger persons, 10 years later.

Spoken like a true young whipper-snapper.

For context: I'm 47 and Clint made me feel like a young punk for not shaving every day. So, maybe he's not such a good measuring stick? But it's true that our beloved music is going to become less and less appealing to future generations. Sad but true.

It is a shame. The past week or two I've been listening to a lot of Monk, and man, anybody who fails to connect with that music is really losing out. But I'm a historian, so my mind is always in the past. I'm not that interested in the present, to be honest.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » January 11th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Bluenoter: I don't remember that Max had a rep in that category although I'm sure he knocked Abbey around a bit!! what was known was his bad temper. your dream was incredible!! LOL
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » February 7th, 2014, 6:53 pm

I've met many of you, but some of you met the real me and some of you met the fraud.
tippy
Founding Member

Postby tippy » February 8th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Yes, Pete, were you faking your enjoyment of that beard papa? (Okay, I think it was a different place, but the same confection.) Nice to see you around btw!
tippy
Founding Member

Postby tippy » February 8th, 2014, 9:03 pm

jwaggs wrote:Goody now believes that Louis Satchmo is you. I gave him that idea.

You are welcome

LOL. This thread has been enlightening I must say and also made me feel a bit nostalgic. I am XLVI and will also brag - as people can so easily on the internets - and mention that I don't look a day over XLIV.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » February 9th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Liking this Roman numeral thing.

I'm LV and I can't believe it. Don't feel LV, however one should feel at LV. I feel XXXV, maybe XL tops.

Wait, XL doesn't seem right.
tippy
Founding Member

Postby tippy » February 9th, 2014, 2:38 pm

stonemonkts wrote:Liking this Roman numeral thing.

Heh heh. Yes, only the ancient Romans can decipher our secret. :)
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » February 10th, 2014, 4:03 am

Stone, as some pop writer once said more nicely, every age we've been is in there--like the rings in tree trunks.

The more recent ones remind me of their presence by making my joints hurt.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » February 10th, 2014, 6:03 am

Walto - Yeah I believe that in every way. I just had a moment where my VI year old temper cursed out the desk leg. Then my LV frontal lobe talked it down. My favorite expression, used most recently during a 2 1/2 hour root canal, is "there are far worse things".

Seriously, though, regarding joint pain, I know this will sound like an infomercial, but for the past 6-8 months or so I have been taking two of these per day and I swear almost all prior joint pain is gone. A close friend raved about them to me after he started taking them for his knee.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WI0WPA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » February 11th, 2014, 4:23 am

Wow--thanks! I'm going to buy some of that stuff right away. It's funny because I was embarrassed this morning by all the shit I'm already taking each morning. There's a "men's" one-a-day (with digestive enzymes), an acidophilus with pectin and hcl (thanks, Lenny!), something called "Sharp Mind" and something called "thinkwell". So, what the hell, I'll add this joint thing.

BTW, if anybody is interested in these memory placebos I'm taking, the only thing I'm pretty sure of is that Sharp Mind gives my dreams some significant enhancement in vividness. I've been enjoying that, even if they don't do anything else.
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » February 11th, 2014, 1:02 pm

The placebo effect is a good thing for the supplement companies.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 11th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Pete C wrote:The placebo effect is a good thing for the supplement companies.

And Pharmaceutical manufacturers too. The placebo effect is big business.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » February 11th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I'm ready for my daily dose of Soma.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 11th, 2014, 4:09 pm

stonemonkts wrote:I'm ready for my daily dose of Soma.

The first hit suggests that this is women's lingerie.

Okay, the second hit makes more sense. ;)
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » February 12th, 2014, 5:02 am

I don't see why I shouldn't get as much benefit from placebos as the most credulous people do. Those who don't want to make use of this ability of their brains to heal their bodies, may, of course, differ. For them, I suppose, it's more important that an experiment be double-blind tested than for the drug under consideration to "work" on them. Such smarties will also pick a different box than I will in the Newcomb Paradox. I will nevertheless let them visit my mansion once yearly.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » February 13th, 2014, 7:57 am

Weirdly, placebos don't work on psychosomatic symptoms. I've done some double visually impaired experiments to determine this.

Return to “The Alley”