We're an older crowd here I do believe

Random and varied thoughts & topics
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: We're an older crowd here I do believe

Postby moldyfigg » November 4th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:Celebrating year 70 very soon.

Ah, to be young again.
Bright moments
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » November 4th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:I started posting at JC in '02, so I never got to experience JCS.

Oddly enough, Steve Reynolds was the one and only reason I even started posting on JC. So you can all blame him.

I just caught the tail end of JCS on my first computer which I bought on my own which was a dumb thing to do which was not very good and with a dial-up signal to boot. Kind of didn't get what was going on initially, but realized soon there was some kind of war going on among the participants. Was on the first edition of JC pretty much from the start.

I blame Dolan & Reynolds for a lot of shit to this day, but forget why :D
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » November 5th, 2013, 7:03 am

I just got to 48 yo. Considering that many thought I would never reach 30 (including myself) that's a victory in itself.

I started lurking around JC around 02 or so. I didn't know anything about jazz and learned a lot while I was there. Still don't know a hell of a lot but I have a better idea of what I don't know (some of my "unknown-unknowns" have become "known-unknowns").
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » November 5th, 2013, 9:16 am

ValerieB wrote:well, this changes the median quite a bit: 73!! LOL

I'll help you out, Valerie. I'm 71. ;)
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » November 5th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Just turned 60! Can't play as hard as I used to, but I still play!;) Yeah, I was around towards the tail end of the JCS days also, seems like so long ago!
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » November 5th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I first got to JCS in 95. Steve Reynolds was already there. So was DEEP.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » November 6th, 2013, 10:56 am

Scott Dolan wrote:I started posting at JC in '02, so I never got to experience JCS.

Oddly enough, Steve Reynolds was the one and only reason I even started posting on JC. So you can all blame him.

Duly noted. He will be summarily tased and beaten.

I always remember about when I started at JC because my mother died not long after. It was summer of 1999.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 6th, 2013, 11:18 am

Who was that guy who LDB had a running battle with? I mean much more than the rest of his targets.
Bright moments
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 6th, 2013, 11:21 am

Monte Smith wrote:I'm 42, but I didn't used to be when I got sucked into these damn jazz board things. If only there had been government warnings in the 1990s about what this stuff could do to you. But no, it was all 1000 free hours of AOL this and You've Got Mail that. Now look at me. I blame JCS.

Ditto on everything.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 6th, 2013, 11:23 am

moldyfigg wrote:Who was that guy who LDB had a running battle with? I mean much more than the rest of his targets.

Are you talking about the guy named Krosen or something like that?
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 6th, 2013, 12:25 pm

moldyfigg wrote:Who was that guy who LDB had a running battle with? I mean much more than the rest of his targets.

Tim Kroesen. Damn, I hadn't thought of that bizarre scenario in a long time. :whew:
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 6th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Damn, Omar. I keep forgetting you're younger than me.

A whole years seems like more of a big deal when you're in your 20s and 30s than when you're in your 40s. I honestly had to do math for a minute to remember how old I was.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » November 6th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:

Tim Kroesen. Damn, I hadn't thought of that bizarre scenario in a long time. :whew:

I remember that and only lurked cause that guy seemed crazy. Was that on JCS or JC?
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » November 6th, 2013, 1:16 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:I remember that and only lurked cause that guy seemed crazy. Was that on JCS or JC?

The guy was a regular poster at JCS - I think mostly he stuck to the Smooth board. It wasn't until JCS was in its Zombie Apocalypse days that he came up with an alter ego. The Lone Ranger or something. As bad as Deep was - and he was pretty bad - this guy was worse.

I believe he tried to migrate the persona to JC, but Lois didn't suffer fools lightly. Still, he was able to mess with a forum regular's work situation through email.

How and why I remember all this, I don't know.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 6th, 2013, 2:28 pm

LDB's rant about white bread is classic, maybe the best post ever at JC.
Bright moments
relyles
Founding Member

Postby relyles » November 13th, 2013, 8:25 am

jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » November 23rd, 2013, 10:35 am

I started posting about 20 years ago on the Chair. I blame steve(thelil).
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » November 23rd, 2013, 1:31 pm

jwaggs wrote:61.

I started posting about 20 years ago on the Chair. I blame steve(thelil).

I'm honored.

And I'm sorry.
cookie
Founding Member

Postby cookie » November 23rd, 2013, 5:27 pm

I am 48.
Dickran (ran)
Founding Member

Postby Dickran (ran) » November 23rd, 2013, 8:44 pm

52 , thank you very much.

What's funny to me ( not a haha funny ) is how true we've all remained to the things that we first posted about. Not to say that I haven't learned anything , music wise , because I have . Ostensibly , I've learned more about how poorly I spell , how sadly I communicate with others and how dangerous it is to drink and post. Much like reading the comment section of the NY Times , I some times wonder what the real value is. I love to read things.

Dr. Dave was the first to say on the old JCS site. Think and post .

As guilty as I am for posting and then thinking , those words in this medium are words to live by.

EDIT:: BTW , I'm thinking that I came upon the JCS site around 1993-4. Maybe a year or two prior. The reason I bring that up is because I started CARS Productions ( a vanity label ) soon after that. I use to ask my Uncle Peru , how he made his fortune ? He always said and told me he bought high and sold low. What a jackass I am.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » November 29th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Do you still practice tenor sax? I remember you taking it up a few years back.

Or am I "misremembering"?

I haven't practiced sax in a few years. My wife made me take it out to the barn, which made it impossible to practice in the winter.

I worked on rhythms and counting on a drum pad for a while, and even the pad bothered my spouse.

I switched to keyboard about a year ago. I can practice on my digital keyboard, using headphones, without bothering anyone.
HenryMc
Founding Member

Postby HenryMc » December 30th, 2013, 9:25 pm

56 ...first heard Charlie Parker on record in 1967 ....was gone
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » January 2nd, 2014, 8:06 am

Isn't Blue Train or Louis Satchmo or whatever his name is some kind of 18-year-old genius?
Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » January 2nd, 2014, 6:53 pm

Any idea what got him bumped from Organissimo? I remember I once called him Louis on that board and he asked me to remove his fake name. Maybe only his "family" name is fake, but I'm guessing Louis, Pops, Billie and Ella are the same person.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » January 4th, 2014, 12:47 pm

When he first came to JC, Blue Train/Louis Satchmo idolized me and sent me daily fan mail. He said that he could tell how widely respected Jesus Marion Joseph (RIP), Lenny and I were and said I was kind of a father figure/role model>

In these PMs he emphasized that he was a student of JC and its posters, having read it for years before posting. In his private mails to me he was also obsessed with dissing Goody. After I started publicly calling him on his fantasy bullshit posts about having been, done, eaten and drank everything and everywhere, I somehow morphed into the anti-Christ. We had some pissing contests on JC and eventually I decided to ignore him and we were at peace.

The bad vibes flared up again when this JT board was new. Basically it was over him claiming that "compared to the Beatles' influence, the Beach Boys didn't even exist." (close to an exact quote) : I and others responded with detailed and initially polite responses about Brian Wilson's and the BB's influence (including helping popularize surf music and California beach culture). His only (albeit totally fictional) response was that he, BT, was the only one who surfed. Therefore, he knew for a fact that all surfers considered the Beach Boys to be jokes.I pointed out that even if he was a 28 year old surfer as he claimed, he probably has not discussed the BB's influence with all the surfers he meets, and it was unlikely that today's surfers had any idea of what surfers of 50 years ago thought. Not to mention that it is actually irrelevant to the undeniable fact that the Beach Boys brought a lot of attention to California Beach culture.

Then he attacked me dnd it got really ugly. I was out of control (in the sense that why should I give a fuck about what some delusional 17 year old fraud posting from his parents' basement says), but unfortunately I sometimes amuse myself when I'm like that and my own hostile insanity is fuel for itself. Hey, I'm a recovering lawyer.

Anyway, I assume his whole life as described online was fantasy. He never explained how he supported his obviously fake life and never referenced an actual job or source of income (at least publicly) He told some people privately that he had a rich/famous father.

Later on Facebook he claimed that he found out that he was nominated for a Nobel Prize in Physics (despite the fact that the identities of the nominees are kept secret and never revealed if they don't win). In private messages he told some people that he had a rich and/or famous father, as if that explained everything.

He also contended publicly that he had a girlfriend-then-wife who was a star med student. Among the many weird things about his posts is that he gave only brief mention of getting married.

When I pointed out that real live adults did not have to live their lives in secret just because they had famous or rich relatives and in the same post mentioned his fictitious wife's alleged first name he shot back that he could not believe I would go so low as to bring his family into it. His full of himself/clueless ratio remains unsurpassed in the anals (sic) of message boards.

In summary, for awhile on JC when he and another long-gone blowhard dominated the boards, he started really getting under my skin. Although I got over it on JC it flared up again here. While my behavior in the last epic battle (massacre) here was bizarrely hostile and unjustified, I did drive him away.

You're welcome.

Return to “The Alley”