Travel

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Travel

Postby Ron Thorne » September 22nd, 2013, 6:46 pm

Here are a couple of snapshots which clearly show two reasons why Patti & I travel to California twice a year. These are our two youngest grandchildren, Reed, who just turned 9 (baseball cap), and Sophie, 3½. Both of our sons live in southern California.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Travel

Postby bluenoter » September 23rd, 2013, 3:09 am

Sophie's 3½? I'm still not that poised and self-possessed! Image

For additional vicarious traveling, see this thread's seasonal cousin Summer Vacations, Only in Alaska!, and Cameras & Photography.
Image           Image     
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 23rd, 2013, 8:40 am

Ron,

I'm looking forward to some top paparazzi shots at out San Gabriel gathering.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 26th, 2013, 2:04 pm

I didn't know where else to post some great news I have and since my new circumstances will allow me to travel more often I figured this thread would be an appropriate place.

After working for thirty years for a huge corporation I was offered a buyout package that will enable me to receive my normal weekly salary and full medical coverage among other great incentives so I decided to pack it in at the tender age of 64. Today was my last day. From now until well into next year I will be a man of leisure while collecting severance and my pension up until the time that I officially retire at age 65. That's when social security will kick in, just about the time that my severance runs out. My 401k savings will be icing on the cake. Boy, am I glad that I paid close attention to saving over the years. It gives me that much more financial security. It's an incredible feeling after all these years of work. I no longer have to be a part of the rat race and I can come and go as I please. I'm looking forward to sitting in my living room this winter and gazing out the window to see the mailman delivering my paycheck while driving in a foot of snow. Whoo hoo!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 26th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Right on, Jimmy. I hope you drop by here if your travels bring you to the Golden State.
Bright moments
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 26th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Will do, Clint. My main man, brother-in -law Tommy preceeded me in retirement this past May. He's been goading me ever since to do likewise so he has a "playmate". Our first order of business will be to do an extended road trip from Connecticut to at least as far as California. So don't be surprised if we show up at your doorstep on our Harleys. I guess you can call that trip the senior citizen version of Easy Rider.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » September 27th, 2013, 5:17 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:I didn't know where else to post some great news I have and since my new circumstances will allow me to travel more often I figured this thread would be an appropriate place.

After working for thirty years for a huge corporation I was offered a buyout package that will enable me to receive my normal weekly salary and full medical coverage among other great incentives so I decided to pack it in at the tender age of 64. Today was my last day. From now until well into next year I will be a man of leisure while collecting severance and my pension up until the time that I officially retire at age 65. That's when social security will kick in, just about the time that my severance runs out. My 401k savings will be icing on the cake. Boy, am I glad that I paid close attention to saving over the years. It gives me that much more financial security. It's an incredible feeling after all these years of work. I no longer have to be a part of the rat race and I can come and go as I please. I'm looking forward to sitting in my living room this winter and gazing out the window to see the mailman delivering my paycheck while driving in a foot of snow. Whoo hoo!

Congrats and welcome to the club, Jimmy. Now you have time to be hungry all day long!
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 27th, 2013, 8:01 am

Congratulations!
Praise Cheeses!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 27th, 2013, 8:48 am

Jimmy, I always knew you were born to be wild!
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 27th, 2013, 10:10 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:I didn't know where else to post some great news I have and since my new circumstances will allow me to travel more often I figured this thread would be an appropriate place.

Jealousy abounds here.

Time to get working on that cookbook.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 27th, 2013, 11:44 am

moldyfigg wrote:Jimmy, I always knew you were born to be wild!

Mazel tov, Jimmy!
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 27th, 2013, 11:52 am

Wonderful news, Jimmy! I'm very happy for you and Joanne.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 27th, 2013, 12:37 pm

You're the man, Jimmy. Have fun.

We spend a lot of money on food and booze and other things but we save too so I'm hoping to join you in the not-too-distant future. Maybe Step 1: leave the rat race for an easier job where I'm not pressured to make that much money and can work less. A buyout would sure help that along but hopefully they can wait until my mortgage is paid off. Step 2: The full Jimmy, sans the Harley.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 27th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Thanks to y'all for the good wishes. My first full day of retirement was awesome. Got up at 9:00am, made breakfast, watched a little tv, read the paper, did a load of laundry, watched a little more tv then took a shower (4:00pm).

Right now I'm having a brandy while waiting for my fellow retiree Tommy to pick me up for drinks, dinner and music. I can get used to this very easily.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 27th, 2013, 2:58 pm

All Best to you in good health Jimmy!!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 27th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Fantastic News Jimmy! Enjoy!

PS. I guess Jimmy's too modest to have announced the news on the Shameless Self Promotion Thread! :D
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » September 27th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Jimmy, this is the most exciting news I've heard in awhile!! big congrats! did you see this coming? sounds just absolutely wonderful!! enjoy, enjoy!! xoxo
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 28th, 2013, 5:00 am

ValerieB wrote:Jimmy, this is the most exciting news I've heard in awhile!! big congrats! did you see this coming? sounds just absolutely wonderful!! enjoy, enjoy!! xoxo

Val, I planned to get out in May of 2014 anyway but the company offered senior employees a buyout so other employees with less senority would not get laid off. The offer happened to coincide with my timeline and because I accepted the buyout package a younger co-worker did not get laid off. So it worked out for everyone all the way around.

Those of us who were offered the buyout did not have a lot of time to decide. It was kind of a whirlwind thing. My financial advisor (Joanne), who just happens to be VP of Finance for her company, ripped out an Excel report showing what I would gain by staying until next May and what I would gain if I left the company immediately. Leaving made more sense both financially and psychologically. Part of the buyout package includes full salary every week until I officially retire. Also in the package are lump sum payouts, paid medical for a year and the ability to start collecting my pension immediately since I am no longer employed by the company. It was a no-brainer.

I want to apologize to everyone for hijacking this thread but because I'll have a lot more free time I definitely will be traveling more. My first trip will be next week when we go up to our house in Vermont for the weekend. I reminded Joanne that this time and from now on, come Sunday I don't have to head back to Connecticut so I can go to work on Monday. I can just stay up north for as long I want. 8-)
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » September 28th, 2013, 5:51 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:I want to apologize to everyone for hijacking this thread

Yeah, you should be sorry you New Haven pizza eating motherfucker.

Seriously, I am very glad for you. Always a good thing to leave the grind, especially for people like you who enjoy life. Cheers Jimmy!
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 28th, 2013, 8:45 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:Thanks to y'all for the good wishes. My first full day of retirement was awesome. Got up at 9:00am, made breakfast, watched a little tv, read the paper, did a load of laundry, watched a little more tv then took a shower (4:00pm).

Right now I'm having a brandy while waiting for my fellow retiree Tommy to pick me up for drinks, dinner and music. I can get used to this very easily.

Early signs are that you *might not* be one of those people who have trouble adjusting to retirement ;)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 28th, 2013, 10:26 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Wow, for some reason I miseed your post at the top of the page, Ron.

My goodness, Sophie. That is one outrageously beautiful little lady!

Thanks, Scott. She's as smart as she is beautiful, too.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » September 28th, 2013, 5:17 pm

I am SO happy for you guys, AND envious!! I know you will enjoy to the best of your abilities! it's going to be trippy after all those years on that schedule!!
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » October 1st, 2013, 12:50 pm

I wish these dolts would offer me a package... But I will get to work from home any time I want when the weather is bad.

Congrats Jimmy! :D
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » October 4th, 2014, 4:42 am

Not as exotic as BeBop but next week Whitey and I will be headed to Portland, Maine for a family wedding. There is a great food scene in Portland so I'm looking forward to spending some quality time in a few of the restaurants while there.

Btw, my first year of retirement was fantabulous. I'm heading into the second year still enjoying the novelty of the leisure life. As I like to say, "The best thing about retirement is that the days off never end". :D
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » October 4th, 2014, 8:02 am

I've been to Portland ME a couple of times, but on those trips where I don't see or experience anything. it's a place I want to get back to, maybe when I retire. Enjoy it!

Return to “The Alley”