I Hate People

Random and varied thoughts & topics
mjb
Founding Member

Re: I Hate People

Postby mjb » September 15th, 2013, 6:09 pm

Four people behind us at a film last evening each talking, at a quite unnecessary volume and at a pitch to annoy Fran Drescher, and without listening to each other, about all of the films they had seen at TIFF this year. "Oh his use of music was clearly an attempt to convince the audience of shades of subtlety that just weren't there, y'know" "Well he may have thought the sporadic use of humour was appropriate but it just didn't work," "I don't know, I just don't know why they continue to use (Nora Ballsoff) as an ADP - just so out of it," etc etc et fucking cetera.

Where is Marshall McLuhan when you need him?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 16th, 2013, 2:10 am

mjb wrote:Four people behind us at a film last evening each talking, at a quite unnecessary volume and at a pitch to annoy Fran Drescher, and without listening to each other, about all of the films they had seen at TIFF this year. "Oh his use of music was clearly an attempt to convince the audience of shades of subtlety that just weren't there, y'know" "Well he may have thought the sporadic use of humour was appropriate but it just didn't work," "I don't know, I just don't know why they continue to use (Nora Ballsoff) as an ADP - just so out of it," etc etc et fucking cetera.

Where is Marshall McLuhan when you need him?

Image           Image     
Dr Dave
Founding Member

Postby Dr Dave » September 16th, 2013, 4:28 pm

You guys need to chill for a moment. Read this:

http://publicnoises.blogspot.com/2009/05/david-foster-wallace-kenyon.html

sample:

But most days, if you're aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-up lady who just screamed at her kid in the checkout line. Maybe she's not usually like this. Maybe she's been up three straight nights holding the hand of a husband who is dying of bone cancer. Or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the motor vehicle department, who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a horrific, infuriating, red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness. Of course, none of this is likely, but it's also not impossible. It just depends what you want to consider. If you're automatically sure that you know what reality is, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won't consider possibilities that aren't annoying and miserable. But if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.
Not that that mystical stuff is necessarily true. The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're gonna try to see it.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm

+No thanks, Dr. Dave ... I'm quite content with my assessments.

Here is a picture of the event audience. I suspect the culprits will jump out to anyone with nous.

Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » September 17th, 2013, 6:25 am

When I was rolling my youngest daughter who was about six months old down the block in her stroller, I accidentally rolled into a woman's foot. She had been talking on her cellphone and was oblivious to anything. I said, "I'm sorry" and she gave me a sneer and some kind of nasty remark.

So I said, "Get off the phone" in a pretty hostile voice.

She looks at me.

"Get off the phone," I say again.

"Some asshole is telling me to get off the phone," she says to whoever she's talking to.

"Get off the phone get off the phone get off the phone and watch where you're walking!" I say as I walk away.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 17th, 2013, 8:14 am

A. Kingstone wrote:That asshole behind home plate waving like a desperate cab flagger with the needless hope of 'being on television'.

Why can't I reach into my TV and strangle him?

Technology fails me.

If you manage to acquire some magical super powers that allow you to exact revenge on these assholes, please shove their cell phones up their asses (including the jackass on the other end who's telling him when it's time to wave like an imbecile).
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 18th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I don't know if people are good or bad, but there sure are a lot or idiots out there.
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 19th, 2013, 5:09 am

moldyfigg wrote:I don't know if people are good or bad, but there sure are a lot or idiots out there.

Oh we're not judging. We just hate 'em.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 19th, 2013, 6:43 am

I think if you look for reasons to conclude that you hate people you will find them, but if you look for reasons to conclude that you love people they're even easier to find.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 19th, 2013, 7:35 am

steve(thelil) wrote:I think if you look for reasons to conclude that you hate people you will find them, but if you look for reasons to conclude that you love people they're even easier to find.

Fuckin' Saint.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » September 19th, 2013, 7:57 am

A. Kingstone wrote:
steve(thelil) wrote:I think if you look for reasons to conclude that you hate people you will find them, but if you look for reasons to conclude that you love people they're even easier to find.

Fuckin' Saint.

I hate "fuckin' saints"
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 19th, 2013, 9:28 am

pig pen wrote:I hate "fuckin' saints"
The only time I hate them is when they fuckin' go marchin' in.
Image           Image     
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 19th, 2013, 2:32 pm

bluenoter wrote:
pig pen wrote:I hate "fuckin' saints"
The only time I hate them is when they fuckin' go marchin' in.

Bravo.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 19th, 2013, 4:09 pm

ty Image
Image           Image     
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » November 8th, 2013, 4:06 pm

I saw an old lady get thrown out of a coffee shop for calling a gay guy a "fag."

Season of the Witch was playing on the overhead speakers.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » November 11th, 2013, 6:14 am

I hate the bastards who offer me their seat on the T. The other day, somebody offered me her seat and there was a very pregnant woman standing right next to me. I guess I look like I'll likely die first from standing for a few minutes.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » November 11th, 2013, 8:42 am

walto wrote:I hate the bastards who offer me their seat on the T. The other day, somebody offered me her seat and there was a very pregnant woman standing right next to me. I guess I look like I'll likely die first from standing for a few minutes.

I certainly hope you don't look pregnant!
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » November 27th, 2013, 7:51 pm

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » December 5th, 2013, 4:04 am

My daughter and I stopped in at Sud Forno on Queen Street West yesterday morning. It is a delightful bakery café type place from the owners of Terroni. In their upstairs they have a large communal table and we went there.

One person was there apart from us. He had a laptop in front of him as well as two other e-gadgets set out. He was in the middle of a phone call. As usual for folk on mobile phones he was talking louder than necessary. "We'll fly him in from the coast ... the paradigm is changing ... I've looked at the figures and they are fluid .. blah fucking blah ad nauseam."

Ah well, i thought ... it is just one call that perhaps he had to make.

When that was over though he made other calls and continued to act as if he were in his own private space. The content was 98.5% business talk drivel.

If I'd a gat ...
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » December 5th, 2013, 5:41 am

mjb wrote:ad nauseam
Image :#1: Awarded for the very rare accomplishment of spelling it correctly.
Image           Image     
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » December 5th, 2013, 6:46 am

bluenoter wrote:
mjb wrote:ad nauseam
Image :#1: Awarded for the very rare accomplishment of spelling it correctly.

Seeing how often ad nauseam is misspelled makes some people want to throw up. http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/adnauseum.html

Return to “The Alley”