Computer questions (etc.)

Random and varied thoughts & topics
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Computer questions (etc.)

Postby moldyfigg » August 16th, 2013, 1:15 pm

We have a Fujitsu Lifebook, which suits us fine, but the battery light is now red. Does that mean that the battery is on its last legs?
Bright moments
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: Computer questions (etc.)

Postby moldyfigg » August 16th, 2013, 3:36 pm

I actually got a response from Fujitsu. The red light just means that the battery needs charghing.

B.T., Thanks for the advice.
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 17th, 2013, 6:00 am

User’s Guide: Learn how to use your Fujitsu LifeBook U810 notebook [.pdf]

If you've got a Fujitsu LifeBook U810 notebook, there's the manual, Clint. ;) See pp. 68-72 for information on the battery. (Or if you've got some other LifeBook model, I'll bet you could Google up the manual for that model.)

If the red light is flashing, the battery apparently needs to be replaced rather than recharged.
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 10th, 2013, 11:24 am

Yesterday, out of the blue, I received this scary message when booting up our HP desktop computer.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I'm using XP (SP3), and have not added any new software or hardware recently. Obviously, we can't afford to lose all of the data on this main computer, so any tips would be welcome. Our son Justin will assist later today, but the outcome is very uncertain. Losing all of our e-mail addresses would be a terrible blow, among other major losses. I have an external hard drive backing up certain info but not everything, obviously.

Thanks!
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 10th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Anybody know how to disable the goddam cap lock key?
Bright moments
LennyH

Postby LennyH » October 10th, 2013, 3:09 pm

moldyfigg wrote:Anybody know how to disable the goddam cap lock key?

I downloaded software that I can't find right now. But here's another one that should work fine.

http://www.brainsystems.com/capsunlock/
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 10th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks very much, Scott. I'll keep you posted on any progress. Glad to know that there may be light at the end of the tunnel via this SATA to USB connector. That is, if files are intact and not corrupted, or worse.

Justin is going to see what he can do (albeit long distance) by trying to access the BIOS later today. He's feeling like warmed over crap from a nasty cold, so we may need to put it on a shelf for a couple of days until he's recovered a bit more.

For now, our trusty little Samsung NC10 netbook is in my lap.
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » October 11th, 2013, 4:00 am

Hi Ron,

You may just have a corrupted file that's causing the error. It's been a while since I've used XP but I think there is a control panel. Locate the System and Security section and look for create and format hard disk partitions. Find your hard drive and select properties. In the properties section you'll see check drive for errors. Run and fix.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 11th, 2013, 8:55 am

LennyH wrote:
moldyfigg wrote:Anybody know how to disable the goddam cap lock key?

I downloaded software that I can't find right now. But here's another one that should work fine.

http://www.brainsystems.com/capsunlock/

Lenny - it works! Thanks!
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 11th, 2013, 11:32 am

Scott Dolan wrote:If he's having a disk boot failure he cannot access the control panel.

Correct.

This is far as things get when I try to boot up our desktop.

Hopefully, Justin & I can discuss options later today or tomorrow.
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » October 11th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Ah, I misunderstood your problem. Are you sure you don't have one of these boot disks laying around? You likely made one when you first created your backup process. Windows would have kept reminding you that you need one of these. If you have a different type of backup process - like Acronis, they too had you make one. So I bet you do and just lost track of it.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » December 20th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Well, the new ASUS M51BC desktop has landed. With the very able assistance of our son, Justin, we should have our new computer online and purring very soon.

Losing our entire Address Book for e-mail was one of the biggest blows when our old HP computer died.

Here's what the new machine looks like. I think it will be fine, but I'm not looking forward to dealing with Windows 8. The audio output is supposed to be excellent, and there's room for expansion.

Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » January 24th, 2014, 1:58 pm

One advantage of web based email is your address book is not tied to your hard drive.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 24th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Pete C wrote:One advantage of web based email is your address book is not tied to your hard drive.

Yep, and one advantage of a dedicated external hard drive is that many things you thought were lost were not.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Computer questions

Postby Ron Thorne » August 14th, 2014, 12:57 pm

This isn't a question.

Patti & I just received our new travel laptop from which I'm posting this. It features an 11.6 display and is only slightly larger than our previous Samsung netbook.

Lenovo Thinkpad X140E
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Computer questions

Postby bluenoter » August 15th, 2014, 3:40 am

Ron Thorne wrote:This isn't a question.

Patti & I just received our new travel laptop from which I'm posting this. . . .

Fixed.

Ron Thorne wrote:Patti & I just received our new travel laptop, from which I'm posting this. . . . Isn't it beautiful?

:)
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 3rd, 2014, 10:16 pm

Tangentially computer-related:

Tonight the switch on my 13-year-old surge protector / power strip exploded. Why do these things always happen to me?
Image           Image     
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 4th, 2014, 11:27 am

I recently bought a new Dell laptop with a docking station and monitor. While the equipment itself is fine overall, the experience with Dell has been miserable. I will never buy from them again. Their tech and customer support is awful. Not the people specifically, but the process to get through to them and find someone who 'has a clue.' And good luck trying to find out anything on the website - VERY buggy and nearly impossible to navigate.

As far as the equipment goes, there are these issues:
-The $140 so-called "docking station" is not like any docking station I have ever used. It's really just a data hub for peripherals. Doesn't even include a power connection for re-charging.
-The touch-screen monitor I ordered (to take advantage of Windows 8.1) is nice, but the 'touch' feature didn't work when I connected it with an HDMI cable. I contacted the online chat tech support I was told that the 'touch' feature is not compatible with the Inspiron 15 touchscreen laptop! What?? He didn't really seem to know anything about the problem anyway (or possible work-arounds), and referred me to the "Troubleshooting" page in the manual. He then suggested I return it for a non-touch version and I was then transferred through a series of annoying phone call holds. Ultimately, someone offered to credit my card with the difference in price rather than exchange the monitors. Finally, something that makes sense! (sort of)

Sorry to vent here, but VERY disappointing for a company that used to be known for quality products and good customer service. I'll be sending a version of this tirade to them, too.

:x

Return to “The Alley”