What Movies Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jazzooo
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What Movies Are You Watching?

Postby Jazzooo » June 29th, 2013, 5:30 am

The new part 1!

I'll start--I've seen a couple of the Summer schlock busters so far: Superman, Man of Steel, a loud crashing bore but infinitely superior to After Earth, possibly the worst movie of the year.

On Netflix, however, we watched the interesting and frankly delightful Scapegoat, a twisted and only slightly less believable take on the Prince and the Pauper legend.
LennyH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What Movies Are You Watching? Part 1

Postby LennyH » June 29th, 2013, 7:06 am

I saw Zero Dark Thirty last weekend and liked it, although pretty forgettable to me.

The Master is in the queue, but it's half impossible to get my wife to sit down and watch a movie lately so no telling how long that DVD will sit.

Speaking of Action movies, The Avengers is available on Netflix streaming right now. I'll give that I whirl, I guess.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » June 29th, 2013, 9:04 am

Cabin in the Woods. Terrible.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » June 29th, 2013, 10:49 am

walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » June 29th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I think they needed to pick--meta funny movie, or non-meta scary movie. The mix didn't work for me, though I did laugh several times. The idea of somebody/something making all of the absurd plots--even the existence--of the standard slasher stories plausible was cool, but....Ancient Ones needing to be placated??

Also, the voice of the guy who played the stoner/fool really annoyed me.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » June 29th, 2013, 2:19 pm

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » June 29th, 2013, 7:34 pm

The Outfit (1974)

Harry
Founding Member

Postby Harry » July 1st, 2013, 7:55 am

I saw Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" last night. Very nice take on Shakespeare's classic.

walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 1st, 2013, 12:04 pm

Jesus Henry Christ, which I thought I liked, but my daughter tells me sucked.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 1st, 2013, 1:48 pm

Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 1st, 2013, 6:26 pm

I saw MAN OF STEEL this weekend and as the opening credits rolled, I reflected that there has never been a good Superman movie made and I didn't hold out hope for this one. It was better than I thought it would be, and I'd class it as on the same level as the first or second Christopher Reeve movies (the very best of the bad lot). This one succeeded, where it succeeded by being largely a movie about Krypton, not Earth. It is interesting to think about Superman's alien origins, because they are not over-mined as material. We tend to think of Superman as not an alien but as preternaturally American (as he is, what with the corn-fed Smallville upbringing). So I liked the exploration of Krypton's material and philosophical terrain. The Kryptonian technology was cool, as it seemed to be inspired by John Byrne-era Brainiac tech. Come to think of it, the Kryptonian wardrobe was from Byrne, too. Watching Zod and Kal-El fight, I couldn't help feeling like I was reading some Legion of Superheroes comic, where there are always multiple Kryptonians and everyone from every other planet is a wimp compared to them. What I liked about this movie was Krypton. Having said that, the film was overlong and very grey-and-blue. I'm glad they didn't do a full-on origin movie (like they do with every reboot) because that wastes so much time and we all know the details. This one handled origin with flashback and I thought it was generally effective at that. But the characters were not particularly interesting. DC movies haven't been as good at character as the Marvel franchises. Iron Man is a rounded character, so is Peter Parker; Batman and Superman not so much. DC movies have tended to be weighty and serious and philosophical. Batman has to be about the psychology of good and evil; Superman is about God and godlike power's effect on our existence. Avengers, on the other hand, is about ass-kicking and scary invaders. I think DC has to step up it's game with these movies, they are too epic. Should a JLA or World's Finest or Legion of Superheroes picture come down the pike, that could be interesting. I haven't fully enjoyed any of DC's offerings to date; the second of the Nolan Batman reboot is the best of the bunch, to my mind.

It was a hard choice between Supes and Shakespeare this weekend. I can't believe that I chose the comic book movie, knowing both that Whedon was attached not to it but to the other and that Supes would be far more serious than the Bard (of Oxford).

I give MAN OF STEEL three Montes, but one of them is kryptonite. It's a must-see for any superhero fan.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 2nd, 2013, 8:01 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 2nd, 2013, 8:21 am

The wife and I popped in The Master this weekend. We got maybe half way through when my wife decided that a night swim in the 85 degree pool was a better idea. She was right. The film lost her and she refused to finish and honestly I'm not sure I care enough myself. Bummer.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 2nd, 2013, 8:24 am

LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 2nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » July 2nd, 2013, 5:37 pm

Well ... Eliza Dushku
LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 3rd, 2013, 9:03 am

walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 3rd, 2013, 10:56 am

Saw The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys last night. Not bad, but I got bored. (Incidentally, I felt the same way about The Master.)

The sound editing was particularly bad on Altar Boys. That's something I usually wouldn't notice, but the back and forth from too quiet to understand to absolutely deafening really got on my nerves after about the 10th time. It also contains some terrible animated segments. The actiing is pretty good though, except maybe that of Jodie Foster.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm

drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » July 6th, 2013, 6:48 am

So does this mean the silent movie is back? I hope so if they are as good as this one.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 6th, 2013, 7:20 am

Saw The Heat last night. Cute.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 6th, 2013, 7:35 am

Last week I saw this, As zoombie movies go I found it kinda passable.

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 6th, 2013, 7:51 am

World War Z just upped my respect for The Walking Dead series, how they manage to keep it interesting every week.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 6th, 2013, 9:21 am

Saw Johnnie To's latest.

Drug Wars. I will watch any of his movies. At first you wonder if he really directed it. It's mostly really different than all his other films (anyone who has seen his films will know what I mean), but after awhile you get you used to it. It's not one of his best, but ended up really enjoying it. Without ruining it. There are points in which it's very much Johnnie To.

It stars Louis Koo who has been in several of To's films now....including his classic Election & it's sequel Election II aka Triad Election.

P.S. It was also filmed in China and not Hong Kong.

P.P S. If you don't know....making and/or distributing more than 50 grams of drugs get's you the death penalty in China. Don't worry they humanized things by going lethal injection throughout the country instead of firing squads. They still execute you within minutes of your sentencing. Oh yeah, they actually do have execution vans.
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 9th, 2013, 10:44 am

Significant Other has been insisting on watching "Django Unchained" for a week now.
Guess tonight's the night. I might enjoy it.

Return to “The Alley”