What Movies Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Re: What Movies Are You Watching? Part 1

Postby Jazzooo » July 17th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Judd Apatow's This Is 40. I enjoyed most of this very much. Yes, you've seen these actors play these types of roles before but they do it so well I wasn't bothered at all. Funny stuff, and dead on.
Dickran (ran)
Founding Member

Postby Dickran (ran) » July 17th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Last night on Showtime they showed " Beware Of Mr. Baker. " It's all about the life and times of the first great Rock and Roll drummer , Ginger Baker. Not wanting to give away so much of this doc/auto flick , is that Baker would punch me for saying " Rock and Roll drummer ." It is perhaps one of the best films of its kind. Highly recommended and at the end very emotional , even reluctantly.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » July 17th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Dickran (ran) wrote:Last night on Showtime they showed " Beware Of Mr. Baker. " It's all about the life and times of the first great Rock and Roll drummer , Ginger Baker. Not wanting to give away so much of this doc/auto flick , is that Baker would punch me for saying " Rock and Roll drummer ." It is perhaps one of the best films of its kind. Highly recommended and at the end very emotional , even reluctantly.

Thanks for sharing! I just set to record it in a few days.
Dickran (ran)
Founding Member

Postby Dickran (ran) » July 17th, 2013, 9:53 pm

stonemonkts wrote:
Dickran (ran) wrote:Last night on Showtime they showed " Beware Of Mr. Baker. " It's all about the life and times of the first great Rock and Roll drummer , Ginger Baker. Not wanting to give away so much of this doc/auto flick , is that Baker would punch me for saying " Rock and Roll drummer ." It is perhaps one of the best films of its kind. Highly recommended and at the end very emotional , even reluctantly.

Thanks for sharing! I just set to record it in a few days.

Stoney , let me know what you think. I am biased , my brother and I went and saw Cream in London. Aside from that , while not wanting to say much more , it is a story for the ages.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 21st, 2013, 3:38 pm

Recent films

Pacific Rim (awful!)

Emperor (not only awful, but most of it isn't even close to accurate. All they mostly got right was the names of the real people.) The most accurate part was about the Kyūjō Incident....speaking of which....check out Kihachi Okamoto's Japan's Longest Day.

Only God Forgives (basically a variation of Drive, but while the cinematography was was excellent...the film was boring as hell....the violence isn't anywhere as bad as the hype.) Kristin Scott Thomas makeup and outfits make her look like a drag queen.
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » July 21st, 2013, 5:42 pm

Ran - It was very enjoyable and also oddly moving. Nostalgic too for me. Thanks again for posting about it.
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 23rd, 2013, 8:50 am

We watched Jack Reacher yesterday, on one of these nights when we're kind of tired/depressed so we think any brainless entertainment will do. Pretty awful, but almost looked like a masterpiece compared to Die Hard 5 we had watched just ahead (yeah, depressed, as I said...).
Only fun thing was they both had this actor we had never seen before in common. Jay something, forgot his last name, but who cares, he sucks.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 23rd, 2013, 9:42 am

jaka wrote:Only fun thing was they both had this actor we had never seen before in common. Jay something, forgot his last name, but who cares, he sucks.

I haven't seen either, but a quick Google tells me you're probably referring to Jai Courtney. He was quite good as Varro in Spartacus.
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 23rd, 2013, 10:01 am

sozamora wrote:
jaka wrote:Only fun thing was they both had this actor we had never seen before in common. Jay something, forgot his last name, but who cares, he sucks.

I haven't seen either, but a quick Google tells me you're probably referring to Jai Courtney. He was quite good as Varro in Spartacus.

Ok, correction then. He sucked in these two movies, but maybe there wasn't much to do about it. :)
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 24th, 2013, 4:54 am

Pacific Rim--Guillermo del Toro makes a Michael Bay movie. Disappointing to say the least, but I didn't like his last one either.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 24th, 2013, 3:26 pm

You would think they have milked Rocky every way possible. Anyone ready for Creed?....as in, Rocky VII....with Rocky training Apollo Creed's grandson.
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 25th, 2013, 2:04 am

Is that Rocky pitch for real?
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 25th, 2013, 5:43 am

Last couple of days:
Paolo Sorrentino's This Must Be the Place was a nice surprise. (Ok... Generally a sucker for every film Frances McDormand appears in...)
Enjoyed Paul Verhoeven's Black Book quite much too.

Just decided to watch Jacques Tourneur's Cat People later today.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 30th, 2013, 5:41 am

For this of us who enjoy seeing comic books on the big screen, the new Wolverine is pretty good. Oddly draggy in parts, but overall a decent and interesting story and setting. I enjoyed the way that it ended (including the coda)--felt very much like the old days of reading a comic...
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 30th, 2013, 6:06 am

Haven't seen a movie in a theater in AAAges, but Sunday we went to see Almodovar's new one, "I'm So Excited." Haven't laughed so hard in a long time! :lol:
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » August 4th, 2013, 3:31 pm

john williams wrote:
Anyone watched The Turin Horse? I have it on blu-ray but haven't managed to watch it yet.

I wouldn't confidently recommend it to anybody but I loved it. A great deal of the movie is spent watching the grumpy old man and daughter eat boiled potatoes with their bare hands but there is something mesmerizing about it even though I couldn't tell you why. It's visually (and aurally) amazing especially the opening scene with the horse and the strong winds depicted throughout the film.
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » August 6th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Pretty damn good. Do you recall the real-life event in SF a few years back where a black man was detained at a BART rail station and seemingly shot for no real reason and the cop only gets only a 2-year manslaughter sentence because the jury believes his claim that he thought the gun he shot was his Taser gun? It's way better than the TV movie of the week or Lifetime Network movie that it could have been. Jordan and Diaz prove to be quite captivating
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » August 6th, 2013, 8:09 pm

String! Where's Wallace?? String!

Caught this oddly diverting Abbas Kiarostami film, which I did think odd, but Binoche was so good, and the Tuscan locale so nice, it was ultimately worth it.

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » August 6th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Blue Train wrote:The Act of Killing.....watched a directors cut. I highly recommend this.

A documentary like no other. ....

Saw it yesterday. Surreal, funny, awful, giddy and consuming.

I really want to force people to go and see it.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » August 7th, 2013, 1:58 am

We saw Now you See It, a completely impossible but still entertaining big budget film about four young magicians who are involved in some kind of scheme that involves robbing banks in real time from 7,000 miles away. Lots of hokum but still some good laughs.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » August 8th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Metal and Bone, an unusual movie that while good I can't actually say I'm really glad I watched.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » August 9th, 2013, 7:31 am

Red 2 is skippable.
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » August 9th, 2013, 7:39 am

Monte Smith wrote:Red 2 is skippable.

Too bad. The first one was quite enjoyeable, iirc.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 9th, 2013, 8:26 am

I saw Drive with Ryan Gosling. That was really good. Not particularly profound or anything, but it's a different take on the stylized genre tribute than, say, Tarantino.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 9th, 2013, 8:28 am

Also saw Cabin in the Woods. That was lots of fun. Especially once the slasher film conceit was mostly abandoned and things started getting increasingly crazier and crazier.

Return to “The Alley”