What Movies Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
bluenoter
Concierge
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What Movies Are You Watching?

Postby bluenoter » July 2nd, 2015, 7:04 pm

Jazzooo
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jazzooo » July 18th, 2015, 7:50 pm

ANT-MAN and Recut, Remake, Ripoff.

The first is fun enough for popcorn, lots of excellent and creative effects. Nice wisecracking by Paul Rudd. But it's also self-consciously shallow and silly, and the secondary premise is just ridiculous to me (mind you, not the premise that he can shrink to the size of an ant--THAT seems doable compared to him being able to talk to...and control...ants).

Recut, Remake and Ripoff is a Turkish documentary that showed tonight as part of the big state film festival--super interesting film about how the Turkish film industry that was turning on hundreds of movies every year would simply grab plots, characters soundtracks and actual footage from American movies like Godfather, Star Wars, Lassie COme Home and so on, and turn out a dozen different versions aimed at Turkish audiences. There were no copyright laws to protect against this at all. Hysterical footage.
HenryMc
Founding Member

Postby HenryMc » July 21st, 2015, 3:33 am

I have been on a 1950-1970 Italian Film kick. After that I will move on the German Film fest
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 21st, 2015, 10:24 am

Just re watched a favorite:Moon, starring Sam Rockwell and directed by Duncan jones. Holds up well.
Mr. Met
Founding Member

Postby Mr. Met » July 22nd, 2015, 7:01 am

I loved Ant-Man. Lots of fun. Plus, what's not to like about Evangeline Lilly? :D
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 22nd, 2015, 7:35 am

The Salt of the Earth, a Wim Wenders doc about photographer Sebastião Salgado. Slow, painful, sad and beautiful.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » October 6th, 2015, 1:34 am

We enjoyed m knight shymalians (sp) latest, The Visit. Finally he's made another movie that didn't suck! Nice clean twist.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » October 7th, 2015, 7:53 am

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 7th, 2015, 1:05 pm

8-)
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » October 8th, 2015, 6:51 am

Yes, I can see how many wouldn't dig Birdman but it was my favorite of the year for certain. Holds up after the second viewing as well.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » May 31st, 2016, 10:05 pm

Alice Through the Lookng Glass

I was not a fan of Tim Burton's movie, but this sequel is sharply written from beginning to end, plus very creative and absolutely gorgeous to look at. Not sure how Lewis Carroll would feel but I recommend it.

Return to “The Alley”