VODKA

Random and varied thoughts & topics
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

VODKA

Postby A. Kingstone » July 27th, 2013, 5:43 am

I'm thinking of honouring the boycott. What's a good non-Russian vodka aside from Grey Goose?
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: VODKA

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 27th, 2013, 6:14 am

Chopin from Poland is an excellent vodka, imo.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 27th, 2013, 10:16 am

Second Chopin and add in Belvedere for the "mass" produced Vodkas. They're both from Poland....the first involves potatoes and the later rye.

Now best Vodka overall in my opinion....Snow Queen.

Yes, no potatoes (Pops doesn't think it's Vodka unless potatoes are involved and from an Iron Curtain country (preferably Russia and Poland....just like it's not a Martini if Gin isn't involved.) are involved (it's wheat and Himalayan spring water)....and it's also ironic that a country that the majority of the population are Muslims is where it's made....but Kazakhstan is a former member of the Soviet Union.

"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 27th, 2013, 10:51 am

I've never seen any of these but will scout them out and do a side by side.

I'll listen to a Nocturne and stare at the Snow Queen label.

Thanks so much.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 29th, 2013, 9:34 am

I don't drink vodka except for the occasional Bloody Mary. Donna loves Stoli. She's tried most of the others and likes Stoli better.

Her new discovery is Salted Caramel Stoli. She says it's very dangerous.
Bright moments
LennyH

Postby LennyH » July 29th, 2013, 4:08 pm

I can't appreciate the stuff. Maybe someone can explain to me what they do to the stuff to justify charging so much sometimes? I get it with Whisky based on the preparation and aging process but vodka? I don't get it. I can appreciate a good martini once in a while but don't know that the vodka matters that much. I feel like any decent quality stuff would do.

I once bought a bottle of Ketel One and some people that showed up for a party asked me whether I had any vodka. Little did I know that the bottle of Ketel One would be gone in like a half hour...used to make screwdrivers, etc. Now, I keep the bottles from the more expense stuff and fill them with Smirnoff! People are happy as clams and I'm still waiting for someone to notice the difference. Suckers! I read a review once that said Smirnoff was great for the price. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 29th, 2013, 4:29 pm

I agree, for anything mixed, it's stupid to use some pricey potato juice drink like the Goose or Ketel. Smir works just fine when you add a bunch of othert flavors.

OTOH, for vodka Martis, my local expert likes Stoli with a drom of CInzano.
Bright moments
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » July 29th, 2013, 11:10 pm

I agree. If there is an advantage with Vodka, it is not taste, but the absence of taste. Good vodka can therefore go down straight very easily easily or completely yield to the flavor of a mix. The difference between a good vodka and a great vodka is wasted on me. There are those who do appreciate the subtle differences in flavor, however.

I used to like to drink vodka. Now I only drink it if the situation is forced on me (as in making new friends with Russians, business discussions with Russians, negotiations with Russians, anything else with Russians... :) )
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 30th, 2013, 6:37 am

Outside of a Martini....never break out the good shit of anything for a mixed drink. Amazing the amount of money wasted. A Russian will think you're nuts to even mix. If I am drinking Vodka....I am going all Russian the majority of the time! Gave me that shot, BABY! Pass me that zakuvskis!

Anyone into peppered Vodka?

- Duke Ellington
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 31st, 2013, 6:22 am

I disagree with the popular opinion that you shouldn't use your favorites for mixed drinks. Of course I would only use a 20 year top cognac for a sidecar if money did not matter.

For vodkas I like stoli. I can't figure out why people (other than old Ladies) would like Grey Goose.
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » July 31st, 2013, 7:04 am

Blue Train wrote:Outside of a Martini....never break out the good shit of anything for a mixed drink. Amazing the amount of money wasted. A Russian will think you're nuts to even mix. If I am drinking Vodka....I am going all Russian the majority of the time! Gave me that shot, BABY! Pass me that zakuvskis!

Anyone into peppered Vodka?

Peppered vodka (Pertsovka) is good stuff. I used to take it religiously to treat colds. It made me feel a lot better. :)
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 31st, 2013, 9:14 am

So the bartenders in NYC who are in sympathy with this whole nonsense, are pouring their Stoli down the gutter. Duh, Stoli doesn't give a shit what you so with it as long as you buy their product.
Bright moments
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 31st, 2013, 9:38 am

It makes no sense. Stoli supports LBGT causes. Why would they care what anyone's sexuality happens to be?

http://www.stoli.com/#lgbt

&

https://www.facebook.com/Stoli?rf=112383265445429

- Duke Ellington
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 31st, 2013, 9:41 am

uli wrote:I disagree with the popular opinion that you shouldn't use your favorites for mixed drinks. Of course I would only use a 20 year top cognac for a sidecar if money did not matter.

For vodkas I like stoli. I can't figure out why people (other than old Ladies) would like Grey Goose.

If you're drinking it yourself, or with a few people....but if you're having a full on party....they won't notice it, but your bank account will.

- Duke Ellington
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 31st, 2013, 9:53 am

I had this South African business associate who only drank Martell and Coke. :thinking:
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 31st, 2013, 12:27 pm

And now, Alaska's premier entrant in the vodka discussion ... Permafrost Vodka.

Bet you won't see this anywhere else.
;)

This distillery has a very interesting offering of products.

Alaska Distillery
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 31st, 2013, 12:55 pm

I realize I am not impartial...but best U.S. made Vodka is distilled in Austin.

Tito's, BABY!

- Duke Ellington
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 31st, 2013, 2:27 pm

Blue Train wrote:I realize I am not impartial...but best U.S. made Vodka is distilled in Austin.

Tito's, BABY!

Did you say that having already tasted Permafrost Vodka? ;)

Scott Dolan wrote:OK...

:?

Let me just say that I love Salmon. Raw, smoked, fully cooked, you name the game.

And I like vodka.

Um...

But...

I'm with you, Scott. The distillery had a motive for their apparent "madness". Here's a partial explanation, though folks are also enjoying it in their Bloody Marys.

"The existence of a salmon-flavored vodka prompts a reasonable person to ask many questions, starting with "Why?"

Foster believes salmon vodka is Alaska's contribution to the large variety of boutique vodkas that have flooded the liquor market over the past decade or so, including bacon-flavored vodka from Seattle.

Salmon vodka is a way to build quick national recognition for the Alaska Distillery that it wouldn't otherwise get from other flavored varieties, Foster contends."

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2010/06/29/1347159/a ... rylink=cpy
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 31st, 2013, 3:48 pm

Salmon is good for me raw, or as lox. The idea of making a salmon flavored booze is disgusting.

OTOH, there's herring. . .
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 31st, 2013, 4:32 pm

moldyfigg wrote:Salmon is good for me raw, or as lox. The idea of making a salmon flavored booze is disgusting.

Not to pick nits, but it's Smoked Salmon Vodka, Clint. ;)
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » July 31st, 2013, 10:58 pm

Russians often use cured salmon to chase vodka. That is more appetizing to me than having the salmon flavor actually in the vodka.

After one night of abuse of that stuff, you might never stomach even the smell of smoked salmon again. :D

Return to “The Alley”