What percentages of your music listening is CDs, Vinyl......

Random and varied thoughts & topics
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

What percentages of your music listening is CDs, Vinyl......

Postby steve(thelil) » July 10th, 2013, 6:32 am

What percentage of time that you listen to music do you:

1) play vinyl albums
2) play cds
3) play mp3s you have either downloaded or burned
4) listen to a regular broadcast radio station
5) stream from Pandora, Rdio, Spotify, etc

For me:

1) vinyl = 2%
2) Cd's 2%
3) mp3's = 41
4) radio = 10%
5) streaming = 45%

I collected vinyl and cds for years and have a couple of thousand of each. And yet it has gotten so easy to stream music or play mp3's without getting up from my chair - or while on the go - that I have basically stopped playing records and cd's.

Also, it seems that I rarely if ever listen to music at home while reading or on the computer, so I find that I don't have a need to chose the exact song/album to listen to. I tend to only listen to radio while driving, but that's often the time I catch up on non-music podcasts.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: What percentages of your music listening is CDs, Vinyl..

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 10th, 2013, 6:58 am

I don't listen to music anymore. The voices in my head are enough.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 10th, 2013, 7:06 am

Scott Dolan wrote:
If I could bring myself to part with all the great packaging/artwork/liner notes, my entire CD collection would be gone. But, I haven't reached that point yet. Nor am I certain I ever will.

I too have problems with the idea of getting rid of my cds and vinyl, and I don't even look at them individually, I just like seeing the collection on the shelves and knowing they're there.

Before moving to NYC we lived in the same house for 20 years. Then we moved to the NYC and rented an apartment. Moving the collection was ridiculously time consuming and difficult. A couple of years later when we were looking to buy a place, Jan got me to agree to get rid of most of my vinyl so we wouldn't have to go through that again and so it wouldn't take up too much space in a relatively small apartment. I must have donated and/or sold 1000 or so LPS (I was actively selling on Ebay in those days).

Then we found an apartment we loved. And wouldn't you know it, it had a wall of built in shelves EXACTLY the right size for LPs. At that point I went back on my promise and the wall is filled to the brink. Maybe 3 years ago I bought a USB turntable capable of digitizing LPS. At least I think it is, as I have never once digitized an LP or even gotten the motivation to figure out how to digitize. And after the first month with the new turntable (My previous one was broken), I haven't even played any vinyl.

But I still like knowing it's there.

JIMMY: The voices in my head are now available for streaming.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 10th, 2013, 8:07 am

Scott. I have "Last date" by Eric Dolphy on CD. It's a live recording with Misja Mengleberg, Jacques Schols and Han Bennink. It was recorded in Hilversum Holland on June 2, 1964 and is on the Fontana label.

I take it that this is NOT what you're referring to?
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 10th, 2013, 8:23 am

Scott Dolan wrote:No. Last Date can be found anywhere.

The Naima and Unrealized Tapes sessions featured Donald Byrd, Nathan Davis, Jack Dieval, Jacque Hass, Franco Monzecci, and Jacky Bambou. It was recorded in Paris on June 11th, 1964.

Thanks. I guess I should keep an eye out for it!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 10th, 2013, 8:37 am

Scott Dolan wrote:If you use Dropbox I can give you a copy.

Thanks. I'll try to figure out how to use Dropbox and get back to you!

I just spent an hour figuring out how to get Spotify to work. I had previously signed up for the free version via Facebook but never used it and today signed up for the 4.99 a month version and there was some conflict between passwords, usernames, email, etc.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 10th, 2013, 8:51 am

Scott Dolan wrote:
Scott Dolan wrote:A little more:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=398

Steve, I don't know if you noticed (I certainly didn't at first), that you can listen to the entire album from this link. Scroll down and click on the track numbers! The sound quality is very good. :)

*EDIT*

That is only Unrealized Tapes!

Naima and Ode To Charlie Parker from the Naima album aren't available to listen to.

THANKS! Looking forward to it!

Return to “The Alley”