Smoking

Random and varied thoughts & topics
Noj
Founding Member

Re: Smoking

Postby Noj » July 15th, 2013, 12:12 pm

I smoked from 16-23 and quit by smoking more pot. Then I quit pot at 30. In both instances, I stopped enjoying them. If I enjoyed them still, I still would.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 16th, 2013, 9:45 am

I heard a while back that John Wayne smoked four packs a day, but I recently read in the wikipedia entry for Patrick Leigh Fermore that he smoked 80 to 100 cigarettes a day.

Now that's some serious addiction. Both of these men were tall and very athletic, which I guess is why they lasted longer than most would with that level of 'habit'.
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » July 20th, 2013, 3:12 pm

sozamora wrote:I heard a while back that John Wayne smoked four packs a day, but I recently read in the wikipedia entry for Patrick Leigh Fermore that he smoked 80 to 100 cigarettes a day.

Now that's some serious addiction. Both of these men were tall and very athletic, which I guess is why they lasted longer than most would with that level of 'habit'.

Geez, I don't think I could smoke that many in a day if I smoked one after the other all day. I'd have to stay up just to smoke.
drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » July 20th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:
stonemonkts wrote:My first cigarette was a Parliament that Bobby Colaci stole from his mom's purse.

That's how it starts, stealing cigarettes from your mother. I hear that Colaci ended up doing time in the big house for insider trading.

That's how I started (I quit over 10 yrs ago), smoking my mom's (filter-less) Pall Malls - a real hardcore way to start.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 20th, 2013, 4:55 pm

The combination of state and local taxes is $4.206 per pack, making Anchorage cigarette prices among the highest in the nation, with some selling for $9.50 per pack!

New cigarette tax makes lighting up in Bethel a lot more expensive
Ben Anderson December 12, 2012

Courtesy Indi Samarajiva

You'd be hard-pressed to find anything in rural Alaska priced cheaper than in the population centers like Fairbanks and Anchorage. Cigarettes, however, have for several years been cheaper in the Southwest Alaska community of Bethel, thanks to high local taxes on each pack of cigarettes in Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley.

That all changed Dec. 11, when the Bethel City Council passed a new tax on cigarettes to the tune of $2.21 per pack. The tax hike comes on top of an existing $2-per-pack state cigarette tax, and brings the average price for a pack of cigarettes to nearly $11, making Bethel smokes among the priciest in the nation.

According to the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, Anchorage had the fifth-highest rate of per-pack taxes on cigarettes in the nation as of July 2012, and Bethel now joins Alaska's largest city.

Laura Ellsworth, Nicotine Control and Research program manager with the Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corp., said community members at Tuesday’s council meeting seemed supportive of the new tax. Around 20 people spoke in favor of the tax, she said, while only two disagreed with it.

Full story <
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “The Alley”