What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
tippy
Founding Member

Re: What TV shows are you watching?

Postby tippy » February 22nd, 2014, 10:19 pm

Amazon was generous and sent me the first 4 of Game of Thrones even though my disks didn't get to them until Wednesday. (I was shocked.) I went into Blockbuster last month to rent disk 1 of Season 3 of Sopranos and found, to my dismay, that they were full on going out of business. Not that it's surprising or anything but I did go to Bb from time to time to fill in my Netflix viewing. Although it felt vulturish, I picked up seasons 2 through 4 of Mad Men and 2-3 of Weeds (have mixed feelings about that show) since they were already picked over. Oh yeah, and Angels of America (which made me miss New York). I am sorry that Netflix hasn't released "Orange is the New Black" on disk yet. Especially knowing that they may not at all.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » March 10th, 2014, 1:21 pm

While I was initially lukewarm to 'True Detective', it ended in fine form last night. A very fine finale, intense and yet heartwarming to see the friendship get to where it did. Knowing that McConauhey and Harrelson aren't coming back make this season a great one-n-done. Superior television if you can hang with the subject matter. Lots of great TV coming up in the next month!
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » March 10th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Chazro wrote:While I was initially lukewarm to 'True Detective', it ended in fine form last night. A very fine finale, intense and yet heartwarming to see the friendship get to where it did. Knowing that McConauhey and Harrelson aren't coming back make this season a great one-n-done. Superior television if you can hang with the subject matter. Lots of great TV coming up in the next month!

I loved it. I know the college freshmen who just read their first Nietzsche were disappointed, but who cares? It was amazing.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » March 23rd, 2014, 9:51 am

We just finished watching enlightened. I hadn't heard of it before since we don't get HBO but my wife picked up the first season based on an Amazon recommendation and it was a lot of fun. A bit twisted and dark in places, I enjoyed it.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 23rd, 2014, 10:55 am

I'm pretty bummed right now because I haven't been able to find a new series to watch on Netflix or Amazon streaming. What the hell am I going to do with the rest of my life?

I finished the first season of Orphan Black, which had its moments. Before that I watched The Americans, which I very much enjoyed.

I've tried to watch Sons of Anarchy a few times but I just can't get into it. I got through maybe 3 episodes. Unless someone tells me that it improves quite a bit after that, I'm done with it.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » March 23rd, 2014, 1:46 pm

Lately I've been watching 'Dexter' from the beginning. I got into the show in it's 4th-5th season and liked it but like practically everyone else, thought the last season and especially the finale were a total letdown. Tellyawhat, the 1st couple of seasons (that I hadn't seen 'til now) were firing on all cylinders! The 1st season would've been a great final season! It's interesting to see how so many well-scripted shows found/find it hard to sustain their original level of excellence.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 23rd, 2014, 4:18 pm

Chazro wrote:It's interesting to see how so many well-scripted shows found/find it hard to sustain their original level of excellence.

This is true. Even the Sopranos couldn't quite go the distance (even though the ending was more neutral to me than bad to me). That's what I loved about Breaking Bad. Went out with a bang. I love Mad Men and I'm hoping for the best. They're going to pull a Breaking Bad and split the last season into 2 smaller seasons.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 23rd, 2014, 5:32 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Hmmmm, I didn't find Breaking Bad's finale all that great. It was fine, and I was impressed how they wrapped up so much in such a short period of time, but...eh...

I dig finales that have huge twists, like St. Elsewhere or Newhart. Most series finales tend to be somewhat of a let down.

With Breaking Bad, it wasn't so much that it was a great final episode. I enjoyed the hell out of it but the build up was fantastic. Honestly, when a show gets to the end and there's a lot of anticipation, I'm just hoping that they don't fuck it up. It's so hard to do it right.

Dexter's finale, OTOH, was a hot freaking mess.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » March 23rd, 2014, 6:07 pm

I thought the Breaking Bad finale was great. That show ended on a high, and leading up to it was all peak material.

True Detective was great too.

Lenny - I would say after three in to Sons, if you don't like it, I doubt you will. For me it is a show I can take or leave. A bit formulaic.

Hannibal is spectacular fun. Not for the squeamish. Amazed that NBC is airing it. Definitely not for everyone, or even close to resembling a mainstream show.

Speaking of spectacular, if you want to treat yourself to one of the best episodes of any drama (I've ever seen), check out Deadwood on Netflix, the finale of season one, "Sold Under Sin". It is like a chapter out of Ulysses. I can't say enough about it.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » March 23rd, 2014, 6:35 pm

I love House of Cards, personally. Just finished season 2 and am jonesing already. Yes there are bits that don't work--the train station scene, the high tech subplot--but overall, I'm into it.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » March 24th, 2014, 4:10 am

stonemonkts wrote:
Hannibal is spectacular fun. Not for the squeamish. Amazed that NBC is airing it. Definitely not for everyone, or even close to resembling a mainstream show.

I agree, stone. Carm and I don't miss Hannibal. It is gorier than you'd think would be on TV, gorier than should be on TV, and almost comically decorative in its horror. Hannibal Lector should really have his own show on HGTV. "Today we're going to cook human ankles with a wine reduction that is more expensive than the space program. After that, I'll show you how to transform your garage into a walk-in freezer that crackles with style. Plus how to fix deer antlers to that corpse you don't know what to do with." The writing is pretty strong once you get over the huge suspension of disbelief. Any one of the crimes depicted on Hannibal would be the talk of the international media for months, but in the flow of the show they happen each week in the same region, or not far from the epicenter of Baltimore, and no one loses their minds nor is their any particular pressure from the outside asking what the hell is up with the forty bodies that were found sewn together to make an art piece.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 24th, 2014, 5:57 am

Top of the Lake, Orphan Black and The Americans. Of the three, I like Top of the Lake best.

Oh, I forgot about The Returned, a French show.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » March 24th, 2014, 6:26 am

"When you have to rely on shock value like the train station scene, you're already telling me you're short on ideas, and big on cheap ploys. "

usually yes. In this case, you'd be wrong. It was just a misstep. The show is quite brilliant, I think.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 24th, 2014, 8:57 am

stonemonkts wrote:Lenny - I would say after three in to Sons, if you don't like it, I doubt you will. For me it is a show I can take or leave. A bit formulaic.

Speaking of spectacular, if you want to treat yourself to one of the best episodes of any drama (I've ever seen), check out Deadwood on Netflix, the finale of season one, "Sold Under Sin". It is like a chapter out of Ulysses. I can't say enough about it.

Thanks, Stone. I don't buy the characters on SOA. It seems too phony to me. So I'll pass on the rest.

I can't wait to watch Deadwood again (someday). There are a few shows out there like The Sopranos, Deadwood and The Wire that I'm avoiding for now with the idea that the feeling of newness will come back a bit (maybe it's a bit like re-gaining your virginity if you abstain from sex long enough ;)). I did catch a bit of the Sopranos last weekend, it was the one where Chris had a heroin relapse. It was a mesmerizing scene. In a few years I'll break down and start from the beginning.

I don't remember the end of season 1 of Deadwood it's in my top 5 shows of all time and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it again someday. Have you watched Justified at all? It's no Deadwood but I like it a lot. Timothy Olyphant's character is *just a bit* like his character in Deadwood. He's sticking to what he's good at.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 24th, 2014, 8:59 am

Jazzooo wrote:"When you have to rely on shock value like the train station scene, you're already telling me you're short on ideas, and big on cheap ploys. "

usually yes. In this case, you'd be wrong. It was just a misstep. The show is quite brilliant, I think.

I'm going to go back to it at some point. There aren't enough shows currently on TV that I like all that much and I liked HOC enough last year to give Season 2 another shot. It'll be on probation, though. No prime time Friday or Saturday night viewing until further notice.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 24th, 2014, 9:01 am

jwaggs wrote:Top of the Lake, Orphan Black and The Americans. Of the three, I like Top of the Lake best.

All good. I think, as far as pure enjoyment, I might have liked The Americans better but Top of the Lake was excellent. Did you see "The Fall"? That was another good one (I think it was Stone that turned me on to that one). Season 1 was on Netflix.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » March 24th, 2014, 12:46 pm

LennyH wrote:
stonemonkts wrote: Have you watched Justified at all? It's no Deadwood but I like it a lot. Timothy Olyphant's character is *just a bit* like his character in Deadwood. He's sticking to what he's good at.

I do watch Justified, and enjoy it. I especially like Walton Goggins, and a few of the other characters from earlier seasons too. Goggins was superb on The Shield.

And just to prove I watch way too much television, I also liked The Returned (French show), and Top of the Lake too. Lately I've been watching Red Road on Sundance. Its not wonderful, but good enough.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!! SPOILER ALERT.

Regarding House of Cards:

FWIW, to those who view the train station scene as a misstep, mistake, whatever...it is following the ORIGINAL British series (in that one, again, he tossed her off a roof). Would you prefer Spacey had tossed her off a roof instead? Or maybe you just dislike that plot point no matter how he killS her?
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » March 24th, 2014, 12:58 pm

I certainly feel like it is something that he would have delegated. But I got over that.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » March 24th, 2014, 1:33 pm

'Justified's OK, but it is so far removed in every quantifiable way from 'Deadwood' that it's beyond discussion! Only thing in common is the star which is truthfully the only reason I've hung in there because at it's core, it's simply another formulaic TV cop show. Even if it is based on the great Elmore Leonard's work. It's biggest saving grace are the actors (regulars and guests) who are always fun to watch. Deadwood is television as High Art (I didn't think HBO allowed any of it's shows on Netflix).

Anybody seen Dennis Leary's new show; 'Sirens'? Watched the 1st episode On Demand and surprisingly couldn't hang for the whole 1/2 hour! I say surprisingly because I am a rabid fan of Leary's work on 'Rescue Me'. This new show (doesn't star Leary but he produces it) felt like a nickelodeon version of 'Rescue me' with EMT's instead of firefighters.

New season of 'Vice' just started. Great TV!, always interesting and thought-provoking. Tried watching the new version of 'Cosmos' but couldn't hang. Original host Carl Sagan had a way of explaining complex science in a compelling way, I'm not feelin' the new dude!
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 24th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:So Deadwood is actually on Netflix now?

If so, great. I've wanted to check it out for years.

Not on streaming. Just DVD. I checked Amazon too for the hell of it and it's not available through Prime either (That's where I watched Justified and The Americans, among other things).
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 24th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Chazro wrote:'Justified's OK, but it is so far removed in every quantifiable way from 'Deadwood' that it's beyond discussion!

This is true but it's fun! Some very funny dialog and the acting is terrific.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » March 24th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Chazro wrote:Tried watching the new version of 'Cosmos' but couldn't hang. Original host Carl Sagan had a way of explaining complex science in a compelling way, I'm not feelin' the new dude!

Did you watch episode 2, Chazro? I thought it was better and more accessible than the first one. I haven't checked out the 3rd one yet.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is excellent, I think. He's been a rock star in science for years now. Did you ever watch Nova Science Now? That's a great show that was better when he was on it.
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » March 24th, 2014, 4:50 pm

LennyH wrote:
jwaggs wrote:Top of the Lake, Orphan Black and The Americans. Of the three, I like Top of the Lake best.

All good. I think, as far as pure enjoyment, I might have liked The Americans better but Top of the Lake was excellent. Did you see "The Fall"? That was another good one (I think it was Stone that turned me on to that one). Season 1 was on Netflix.

I have The Fall in my Netflix queue, but there is a long wait. I don't have cable, and my internet connection is too slow to stream. So my options are limited. The first season of Orange is the New Black isn't yet available on DVD from Netflix, even though it's a Netflix program.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » March 24th, 2014, 6:01 pm

jwaggs wrote:The first season of Orange is the New Black isn't yet available on DVD from Netflix, even though it's a Netflix program.

So read the book! Guh, kids today. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Have to echo the plaudits above for Deadwood.
Best thing on television ever, even if it did piss out with an inconclusive ending cause it never got renewed. Hate that. Same as how I'll never read an unfinished novel. Why bother? Of course I love Kafka's books. And Good Soldier Schweik.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » March 24th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Just watched the pilot of a French show on Netflix streaming called Spiral (Engranages in French). Very good!

There are 4 seasons. Check it out.

Return to “The Alley”