What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
sozamora
Founding Member

Re: What TV shows are you watching?

Postby sozamora » December 23rd, 2013, 12:59 am

Chazro wrote:Orphan Black

Any you guys seen this? Manoman, just went thru the 10 episode season this past week on demand. Outstanding! Another superior show from BBCAmerica. Great Story-telling, very addictive but the story behind this is the amazing lead actress, the relatively unknown rookie Tatiana Maslany, who's smashing it outta the park! She plays multiple characters and does a stunning job. 1st year and she's been nominated for a Golden Globe for best actress in a drama, this kid has gigantor chops! No question that she'll be one of the actors to watch as her career progresses. Very highly recommended!

Yes, the show is great and Tatiana Maslany is amazing. I'm kind of in love with her.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » January 2nd, 2014, 2:28 pm

Sherlock is back, yo! Ok, technically not back in the US until the 19th, but at least folks on the other side of the pond have seen it.

I'm also giddy with excitement that Community is back tonight with creator Dan Harmon as the showrunner again. So far the reviews I've read have been quite positive, and they make it clear that his insane vision was sorely needed last season. Harmon also co-created the new animated show 'Rick and Morty' on Cartoon Network, which so far is really good.
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » January 4th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I watched the Christmas special of Doctor Who last night and I can say good riddance to Matt Smith. The writing during his reign was not up to snuff and there was a lot of the feeling of "oh boy, aren't we having tremendous fun?" At least with the next Doctor, he's old. So he hasn't been brought on to sell the same feeling to the kids. The kids will reflexively distrust him and like him less, which bodes well for the sort of stories I like to see told. Now if only the Daleks would wipe out all of the Doctor's exchangeable recent companions (excepting Donna Noble).

Also, I'm sick of the long farewell that the actors passing the baton get. That started with David Tennant. It should be nipped in the bud, because it is shark jumperly. Just regenerate and get on with it.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » January 4th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I agree that Matt Smith sucked and the writing during his tenure did as well ("fezzes are cool!". No, they fucking aren't. Especially when you are wearing one). I started watching the last season on Amazon streaming and gave up a few shows in. There's better stuff available to satisfy my sci-fi geekery (watching Farscape now).

Regarding the modern sidekicks: I did like Rose. It was cool when she returned from the other universe to help save The Doctor. All badass with that giant gun.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » January 7th, 2014, 4:07 am

Looking forward to The Fosters until it gets shitty probably about six episodes into this second season.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
timoleon
Founding Member

Postby timoleon » January 10th, 2014, 12:10 am

a greek tv channel showed for 3 days in the row the mini series hatfields and mccoys with costner and berenger among others.it was really good and i haven't heard about it before,so it was a nice surprise.i enjoyed the cinematography and also the right measure of unfolding the story,not very fast but also not like downton abbey,which was more like the soap opera style.

i'm about to see the first season of treme which i found in a store with good price-this one i'm sure i'll like it,all the opinions i heard for it were good and it's also a matter which interests me much.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 10th, 2014, 12:49 pm

The 1st season of Orange Is The New Black on Netflix, our first viewing of their "new" programming of this nature. We're enjoying it thus far, with dips here and there. Their production values are certainly not in question.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » January 10th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:The 1st season of Orange Is The New Black on Netflix, our first viewing of their "new" programming of this nature. We're enjoying it thus far, with dips here and there. Their production values are certainly not in question.

Wazzup Ron! I guess this means you haven't seen the Netflix version of 'House Of Cards'. I believe the 2nd season's starting soon. It's very good, you oughtta check it out!
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » January 10th, 2014, 3:13 pm

timoleon wrote:a greek tv channel showed for 3 days in the row the mini series hatfields and mccoys with costner and berenger among others.it was really good and i haven't heard about it before,so it was a nice surprise.i enjoyed the cinematography and also the right measure of unfolding the story,not very fast but also not like downton abbey,which was more like the soap opera style.

I missed that when it aired here. It didn't seem like something I'd like, but since then I've heard good things about it.

i'm about to see the first season of treme which i found in a store with good price-this one i'm sure i'll like it,all the opinions i heard for it were good and it's also a matter which interests me much.

It's actually pretty divisive, but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » January 10th, 2014, 6:03 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:House of Cards does nothing but piss me off.

How many episodes have you seen?
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » January 11th, 2014, 7:19 am

There's one, uh, very steamy episode.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » January 11th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Oh yeah
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » January 13th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Anyone see the pilot for True Detective? That was really good.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » January 13th, 2014, 6:24 pm

sozamora wrote:Anyone see the pilot for True Detective? That was really good.

Yes, and yes it was. Several HBO stable actors popping up (including one of the most colorful characters in Deadwood).
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 13th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Chazro wrote:
Ron Thorne wrote:The 1st season of Orange Is The New Black on Netflix, our first viewing of their "new" programming of this nature. We're enjoying it thus far, with dips here and there. Their production values are certainly not in question.

Wazzup Ron! I guess this means you haven't seen the Netflix version of 'House Of Cards'. I believe the 2nd season's starting soon. It's very good, you oughtta check it out!

No, I haven't Chazro. Thanks, we'll check it out. So much to see and hear, so little time it seems.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » January 14th, 2014, 9:09 am

stonemonkts wrote:
sozamora wrote:Anyone see the pilot for True Detective? That was really good.

Yes, and yes it was. Several HBO stable actors popping up (including one of the most colorful characters in Deadwood).

Yes, and Clarke Peters and Michael Potts who played Brother Mouzon. Great work from Harrelson and McConaughey as well. I'm very impressed by the confident direction, which though certainly is influenced by the Coens and the underrated John Dahl, is quite unique for television.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » January 14th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Thought it was OK. Almost feels like serial killing is becoming the flavor of the month. I'll have to see if I enjoy this one as much as I did 'The Bridge'. Agree that it's always fun to see old friends from favorite shows gone by in new roles (The medical examiner worked in 'Treme' along with Peters). One thing I've found is that when you have a large-ish ensemble, when you spot a 'name' actor within it, it's almost a dead giveaway that that character's going to play a pivotal role! Find it amusing that Matthew M. is the bigger 'oddball' than Woody H., who I've always felt to be the classic Hollywood nut!

All in all, I looked forward to and enjoyed 'House Of Lies' (3rd season began on the same night as True Detective) a lot more!

On a side note, re: the Golden Globes, while I thought Robin Wright did good work on 'House Of Cards', no way is she the best actress of the year. All she did was be Robin Wright. I knew the kid didn't have a chance of winning with Hollywood politics and her being a rookie, but Tatiana Maslany's work is SO much more impressive on 'Orphan Black'!
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » January 14th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Chazro wrote:Thought it was OK. Almost feels like serial killing is becoming the flavor of the month.

I agree in general and would agree in this case if it was just a straight procedural, but just based on the first episode it seems like there's a lot more going on here.

Chazro wrote:Agree that it's always fun to see old friends from favorite shows gone by in new roles (The medical examiner worked in 'Treme' along with Peters).

HBO is really good about that. Actors must love to get on the HBO casting Rolodex, because you're sure to have work in the future. Just one example out of many: Michiel Huisman, who played Sonny in Treme, will be in Game of Thrones.

Chazro wrote:On a side note, re: the Golden Globes, while I thought Robin Wright did good work on 'House Of Cards', no way is she the best actress of the year. All she did was be Robin Wright. I knew the kid didn't have a chance of winning with Hollywood politics and her being a rookie, but Tatiana Maslany's work is SO much more impressive on 'Orphan Black'!

I haven't seen HoL, though I know from her previous work that Wright is a terrific actress. I do agree with you that Maslany was incredible, and it wasn't just the gimmick - there was a lot of subtance to each of her characterizations.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » February 15th, 2014, 1:49 pm

So we just finished six seasons of The Sopranos. One after the other with nary a break for any other show.

I realise we were a few years behind the curve but then it took me a few years to believe that Buffy The Vampire Slayer was worth a look.

I doubt that a superlative has been overlooked to use for this thing. Awesome is a terribly misused word but it might just come close to being apt here.

I have only caught one extra, an interview of David Chase by Peter Bogdanovich. Judging by it, Chase may well be difficult but I bet he is interesting to be around.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this was one hell of an experience. Up to and including the extraordinary last episode.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 16th, 2014, 8:14 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Well, I finally made myself watch the rest of House Of Cards first season. Ended well enough, I suppose.

Watched the first episode of the second season, and now I'm not sure if I'm going to go any further with it. Although I felt it jumped the shark, I will admit the final scene did make me laugh out loud.

I watched the first 2 shows of the new season and wasn't thrilled. Did not buy the train station scene.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » February 16th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Well, I finally made myself watch the rest of House Of Cards first season. Ended well enough, I suppose.

I've watched the 1st 5 episodes and....I'm not sure how I feel. I mean, on paper it sounds fantastic; a murdering sociopath Vice President who's endgame is to be the most powerful person on the planet and who also's got one of the most delicious wives on TV, what's not to like? Great actors, great guest stars, and a 1st class production crew. I think it's getting too mired down in the actual mechanics of how Washington politics actually work, the grind of getting majority votes and the blatant favoritism, maybe it's too close to the real thing or perhaps they're spending to much screen time on it, I don't know. I'll continue to watch as I enjoy Spacey and Wright but I hope the tempo picks up.

....but it sure ain't The Sopranos!!
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » February 16th, 2014, 1:14 pm

....tellyawhat, I think it's been mentioned before in this thread, I finally decided to check out 'Orange Is The New Black' a few weeks ago. I devoured the entire season! Terrific TV! Get's my vote along with Orphan Black for best new TV series of 2013. The 1st must-see TV show produced by Netflix. I see it's coming back for it's 2nd season in June, looking forward to it!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 16th, 2014, 1:24 pm

My wife and I recently began watching Orange Is The New Black, and agree with your assessment, Chazro. Compelling and infectious.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » February 22nd, 2014, 10:12 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Nope, that was the shark jumping moment, IMO.

I think it turned out to be just that.

We're four episodes into the new season. Last night, I pretty much daydreamed through 2 episodes. It's totally lost me now. My wife still likes it but I can't bring myself to waste any more time.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » February 22nd, 2014, 11:57 am

I'm loving season two of House of Cards. By the way, in the British original...SPOILER ALERT...

...she is tossed off the roof of a building by the same character. So whether you liked the subway station plot line, or not, it is true to the original, which was a great series. One of the all time wittiest and sardonic actors to ever appear on film played the F U character, Ian Richardson (of Tinker, Tailor...fame).

Anyway, as with all things cultural, to each their own.

Looking forward to the return of The Americans, Game of Thrones, and Mad Men.

Return to “The Alley”