What Movies Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
mjb
Founding Member

Re: What Movies Are You Watching? Part 1

Postby mjb » November 25th, 2013, 10:08 am

Chazro wrote: ... Tellyawhat, the lead actor; brit Chiwetel Ejiofor, is having a star-making banner year.

Have you seen The Shadow Line? It is fine dark stuff. The cast includes Rafe Spall (one of my tips for the top), Christopher Ecclestone and Stephen Rea.

Hugo Blick is the writer / director. Pretty much anything he turns out is excellent. Sensitive Skin with Joanna Lumley (though I see a US remake is in the offing!) and Marion & Geoff to name but two.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » December 1st, 2013, 12:00 am

Three older flicks--

Being John Malkovich--still brilliant and interesting, though I think it was poorly lit from beginning to end;

The Devil's Advocate--for me, this is an almost perfect movie. Pacino is utterly convincing, and everyone else does a fine job--even Keanu Reeves. Some fabulous speeches about god, religion and vanity scattered throughout. Loved this.

A Hard Day's Night--I showed this to Rosario, who is approximately my age and was touched by the Beatles in a different way. They didn't hit Mexico quite at the same time as the states, and from her point of view Mexican culture at that time was far more innocent than even early '60s North America. She loves them and knows lots of their songs, but this was the first time she'd ever seen them and their personalities on display. I take things like that for granted, that everyone of my age thought of John as the cheeky one, Paul as the cute one, George as the serious one and Ringo as the sad clown back then. Anyway...it was really fun! And a great reminder of how beautiful black and white can look. Really expertly shot, imo.

We also saw Captain Philips together. A good, intense movie but way too much shouting. Maybe it's ultra-realistic, but I didn't care--if reality is too fucking loud, I say turn it down.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » December 1st, 2013, 7:22 am

Speaking of Somali pirates, I passed on the Hanks Hollywood film, and opted for the Danish "A Hijacking". Highly recommended.

mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » December 2nd, 2013, 10:38 am

stonemonkts wrote:Speaking of Somali pirates, I passed on the Hanks Hollywood film, and opted for the Danish "A Hijacking". Highly recommended.

Agreed. Horrific and nervewracking in the best possible sense.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » December 2nd, 2013, 10:39 am

Off now to catch Philomena.

A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » December 2nd, 2013, 5:55 pm

Get Low

Robert Duvall
Sissy Spacek
Bill Murray

Excellent.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » December 3rd, 2013, 12:36 am

Philomena was delightful! of course, i would pay admission to hear Judi Densch read the phonebook! she is one person i would love to meet and hang out with. I've read all her autobiographies and biographies and am convinced that she is, indeed, a very special person, aside from her vast talent.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » December 3rd, 2013, 7:08 am

ValerieB wrote:of course, i would pay admission to hear Judi Densch read the phonebook!

Dench Image

(I don't point out most of the misspellings I run across, but I do tend to point out misspelled names of artists, especially if it's an artist whom the poster admires.)
Image           Image     
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » December 3rd, 2013, 5:20 pm

bluenoter wrote:
ValerieB wrote:of course, i would pay admission to hear Judi Densch read the phonebook!

Dench Image

(I don't point out most of the misspellings I run across, but I do tend to point out misspelled names of artists, especially if it's an artist whom the poster admires.)

I had a feeling I had the spelling wrong. just for the record, Bluenoter, I sincerely appreciate the correction. i'm usually the one doing that, especially to club owners and journalists. thanks, again, my dear. 8-)
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » December 4th, 2013, 9:22 am

ValerieB wrote:
I had a feeling I had the spelling wrong. just for the record, Bluenoter, I sincerely appreciate the correction. i'm usually the one doing that, especially to club owners and journalists. thanks, again, my dear. 8-)

Yeah. Thanks on behalves of all of us. We all love having our spelling corrected. It's a wonderful thing. And I'm sure Ms Dentsch would appreciate it.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » December 4th, 2013, 3:45 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Yeah. Thanks on behalves of all of us. We all love having our spelling corrected. It's a wonderful thing. And I'm sure Ms Dentsch would appreciate it.

That's Dame Dench---there is nothing like one.

The hand that corrects spelling is the same hand that lists instructions for performing stupid message board tricks. The other hand will give you such a potch in tuchus
. . . Image

*mock threat of violence disguised by Yiddish
Image           Image     
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » December 5th, 2013, 6:52 am

bluenoter wrote:That's Dame Dench---there is nothing like one.

No, that's Dame Judi, DBE, "an honour allowing (but not prescribing) the postulant to use the title "Sir" (male) or "Dame" (female) before his or her first name." [Wiki].

Get it right, Rita, we're all tired of your sloppiness.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » December 5th, 2013, 9:00 am

Monte Smith wrote:No, that's Dame Judi, DBE, "an honour allowing (but not prescribing) the postulant to use the title "Sir" (male) or "Dame" (female) before his or her first name." [Wiki].

Get it right, Rita, we're all tired of your sloppiness.

Image           Image     
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » December 5th, 2013, 9:52 am

:)
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » December 10th, 2013, 12:46 pm

We watched Cloud Atlas a few nights ago.

I thought Halle Barry's performance(s) was/were almost as stultifying as Sandra Bullock's in Gravity. I must admit, Ms. Berry's talents are lost on me.

The film was admirable for a number of reasons, mostly logistical. Unfortunately, it left me unmoved, somewhat irritated and vaguely bemused if not bored.

Last night we did Elysium. Not as much of a rush as District 9 but still a lot to enjoy.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » December 10th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Saturday night, the wife went to bed early and I found myself with nothing to watch so I figured it was a good time to watch some entertaining zombie mayhem.

Instead, I paid $6 to rent the hunk of shit known as Word War Z. If only I'd have taped $6 to a balloon and released it instead. Or taped it to a bottle rocket. Someone might have gotten some enjoyment out of it.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » December 10th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:The recent zombie fetish completely eludes my comprehension.

It does surprise me that there seems to be an insatiable appetite for them. For me, it's kind of like when there seemed to be an endless supply of period pieces; I'll watch anything that's good. There's a film podcast I like and they seemed to like World War Z fine as summer entertainment. I wasn't expecting that much, but what I got was annoyed.

I was watching The Walking Dead too. It had it's faults but this season is totally unwatchable to me. I bailed a few weeks ago.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » December 11th, 2013, 5:43 am

Scott Dolan wrote:I've actively avoided all things zombie since this bullshit began. It's really annoying.

I feel the same way but two good takes on it are Zombieland and Shaun Of The Dead.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » December 11th, 2013, 6:14 am

Agreed about Shaun of the dead and zombieland.

I saw Cormac McCarthy's the counselor. An irredeemable piece of shit, so bad that it's hard to imagine that at any point during the writing, filming or postproduction, anyone involved thought it was worth the trouble.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » December 11th, 2013, 9:47 am

A. Kingstone wrote:
Scott Dolan wrote:I've actively avoided all things zombie since this bullshit began. It's really annoying.

I feel the same way but two good takes on it are Zombieland and Shaun Of The Dead.

Warm Bodies is worth a look too.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » December 11th, 2013, 10:47 am

Jazzooo wrote:Agreed about Shaun of the dead and zombieland.

I saw Cormac McCarthy's the counselor. An irredeemable piece of shit, so bad that it's hard to imagine that at any point during the writing, filming or postproduction, anyone involved thought it was worth the trouble.

I just saw McCarthy's 'No Country For Old Men' by the Coen Bros.

So great. Also the Coen's True Grit. I liked that too.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » December 11th, 2013, 4:08 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:

Both great fun.

Bill Murray's cameo in Zombieland was brilliant.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » December 13th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Tellyawhat, I felt the exact same way (still do when it comes to teen vampires, tv superheroes, and the latest 'modern' takes on fairytales, yuck!) BUT....my son had been pestering me literally for years about the fukakta 'Walking Dead' TV show. Like I said, zombies as a fad was a huge turn-off. One night he comes over to hang out and we're surfing and not finding anything to watch so he suggests TWD. I loved it!! A month later, thanx to Netflix, I'm totally caught up and anxiously waiting for next season to start! Go figure!;) Shoulda known as the creator, Robert Kirkman, wrote one of my favorite comix of all time; Invincible, the dude can write!

Netflix is yr friend! This past week I finally got to see the epic Latin Jazz cartoon(!); 'Chico & Rita' made by the same company that did the outstanding LJ documentary 'Calle 54'. Manoman was it good! A cartoon with cameos by Chano Pozo, Tito Puente, Nat king Cole, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, Dizzy Gillespie and more. Chico is a Cuban piano player who's playing is done by Bebo Valdes. Just seeing the names that played the parts of the legends rolling during the end credits was amazing!

Also on Netflix I've started watching BBC produced 'Top Of The Lake' with Elizabeth Moss and Holly Hunter. Moss was nominated for her work in this (along with her work in Mad Men the same year!) and it's really really good.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » December 15th, 2013, 11:29 am

Michael Haneke's Amour

If you have the heart to see a very realistic depiction of literally the very end of "love" by way of the ravages of old age, then this is the film for you. It is finely done with delicacy and a good deal of grace, but hard to watch nonetheless. Interesting the various paths taken by Haneke throughout his career.

walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » December 20th, 2013, 10:17 am

Last three movies (Paul Rudd in two of them) I've seen on Netflix have been My Idiot Brother, Safety not Guaranteed, and Prince Avalanche. I enjoyed them all. Each has flaws, but each has pleasant aspects as well.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.

Return to “The Alley”