What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Re: What TV shows are you watching?

Postby steve(thelil) » September 18th, 2013, 2:18 pm

steve(thelil) wrote: know he's bombed before and his sitcom might be lame, but try this Andy Samberg bit at the James Franco Roast.

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » September 19th, 2013, 5:05 am

I haven't been following this thread, because I'm so desperate to avoid any information about breaking bad, as I'm still a season behind. But I just wanted to say that we've started watching the Borgias And we're really enjoying it. Beautifully acted with some great characters. Last night the one character that I truly dislike, the younger son Juan, got sent to Spain. I hope he stays there for the rest of the series, but something tells me he will be back.

The scenes with King Charles of France have been my favorites. Also, the character of michilletto is truly fascinating.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 19th, 2013, 7:05 am

Gentle Giant wrote:I watched the pilot of Brooklyn Nine Nine last night because I love Andre Braugher. It was just as bad as I feared it would be. He deserves much better than to be paired with Andy Samberg.

I quite enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but it gave me the feeling it has a lot of promise. A big part of that is Braugher, but the rest of the ensemble was very good.

Of course, one has to have a taste for the brand of humor they're selling. I'm a big fan of Parks and Recs co-created by Michael Schur, and this has a similar ensemble dynamic and tone.

While waiting for this show to start, I caught a good chunk of 'Dads' just to see if it was as bad as the reviews indicated. It was one of the most painfully awful sitcom pilots I've seen.
gonzo
Founding Member

Postby gonzo » September 20th, 2013, 1:16 am

the bridge was both exciting and heartbreaking last night.
David Beckett
Founding Member

Postby David Beckett » September 20th, 2013, 9:07 am

We just watched the first season of Orange is the new Black (with the performer and singer Lea Delaria in a supporting role - I only have one album of hers, but it's really top shelf).

Then we watched a Season of George Gently mysteries which I think are very good. Right up there with Foyle's War.

Now we're watching The newest episodes of Homeland.
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
A friend to Jazz since 1982.
Obsessed with CHORO, powered by Bustelo.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 23rd, 2013, 2:28 pm

So last nights series finale (after 8 yrs!) of Dexter was lousy, I mean textbook lousy! Whereas the show that followed, Ray Donovan's season finale did what it should, which is leave you wanting more. Boardwalk Empire is on a slow boil and developing nicely. Breaking Bad wasn't as good as the last coupla episodes but mesmerizing none the less, gonna be sad to watch the finale next week. But Homeland starts next week! Sunday night continues to be the best night to watch the tube!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 23rd, 2013, 2:50 pm

Other than sports, I tend to watch TV mostly to doze off in front of at the end of the night after 2 or 3 glasses of wine. American Pickers seems perfect for that purpose.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 23rd, 2013, 2:57 pm

"Last Tango in Halifax" is a delight. Magnificent cast with Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi as lovers and one of my favorite actresses, Nicola Walker plus a very strong cast of supporters.

You can have your Breaking Bad, etc. but my cuppa is definitely this stuff.
Bright moments
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 23rd, 2013, 4:10 pm

Chazro wrote:So last nights series finale (after 8 yrs!) of Dexter was lousy, I mean textbook lousy!

Oh, that was bad!

Maybe Dexter can come out of retirement to kill the head writer.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 24th, 2013, 8:41 am

Anybody watch Adultswim shows? I'm a fan of Childrens Hospital and NTSF:SD:SUV. These shows tend to be uneven practically by design, but when they're good they're a solid 11 minutes of fun. Certainly not for everybody, but I dig'em.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 24th, 2013, 8:48 am

LennyH wrote:
Chazro wrote:So last nights series finale (after 8 yrs!) of Dexter was lousy, I mean textbook lousy!

Oh, that was bad!

Maybe Dexter can come out of retirement to kill the head writer.

I've never seen a single episode of Dexter. I hear that it follows the standard Showtime model of diminishing returns and overstayed welcome. Should I watch it? If so, should I watch it all the way through or stop at a certain point?
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 24th, 2013, 9:50 am

"I've never seen a single episode of Dexter. I hear that it follows the standard Showtime model of diminishing returns and overstayed welcome. Should I watch it? If so, should I watch it all the way through or stop at a certain point?"

The 1st 3-4 seasons of Dexter rocked. I don't agree with your statement about Shotime. They've gone from being an HBO wannabe to a straight up contender. The Big C, Nurse Nackie, Ray Donovan, Homeland, and even Dexter, just to name a few, are 1st class shows. Throw In their Boxing coverage and Inside The NFL (kinda surprised at the lack of sport threads so far on Jtalk!) all make Shotime a must-have for me.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 24th, 2013, 4:14 pm

sozamora wrote:I've never seen a single episode of Dexter. I hear that it follows the standard Showtime model of diminishing returns and overstayed welcome. Should I watch it? If so, should I watch it all the way through or stop at a certain point?

I never loved Dexter. Never couldn't wait until the next episode. Well, if I did feel that way it was quite a while ago and only in spurts. It did have its moments, though. If you watch and like the first season then you might as well try to hang in for the duration. As far as the last season, I'm pretty much only glad I watch it for closure.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 25th, 2013, 10:20 am

His sister is the best thing on the show.
Bright moments
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 25th, 2013, 3:07 pm

moldyfigg wrote:His sister is the best thing on the show.

She was good and it was especially evident when in contrast to the actor who played Quinn (guy in blue striped shirt). Dexter should have killed him years ago just for practice. That actor was in a couple of episodes of Justified and was even worse in that.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 26th, 2013, 10:57 am

I enjoyed the Agents of SHIELD pilot. We'll see if subsequent episodes manage to keep up the pace and also improve the issues with some of the characters. The young pretty actors in the ensemble were not too bad, but Clark Gregg in the lead was really good.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 26th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:Man, they've got a TON of storyline to wrap up in an hour with Breaking Bad.

The last episode's gonna be an hour & 15 or an hour and a 1/2, I forget. Just a head's up if you plan to DVR!

Agents of SHIELD was OK. Kinda 1/2 watched it while reading. I just don't care for shows that so obviously pander towards age demographix. Most of those agents don't look old enough to drive! That said, looks like it's gonna be huge. As an old comix fan that bought the 1st SHIELD comic I liked the little winks to us old-timers, the flying car and the LMD (you'll see;). Marvel continues to lead the way while DC weakly plays catch-up. Marvel is showing textbook technique in universe-building from comix to film to TV. DC's scrambling to come up with a team franchise where Marvel built it slow and sure for years. Did you see the commercial for Thor? Comix feeding the movies feeding the TV feeding the movies. I read this week that DC's coming out with a TV show featuring Jim Gordon & Gotham City (yawn). Next Superman movie's gonna feature Batfleck (yawn);).
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » September 30th, 2013, 2:45 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Still doesn't seem like enough time to bring closure to the whole thing...

I think it was.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 30th, 2013, 5:11 am

Entirely satisfying finale.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 30th, 2013, 7:07 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Have it DVR'd, but haven't seen it yet.

The butler did it.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 30th, 2013, 7:40 am

Spoiler alert: IT WAS STALLONE!
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 30th, 2013, 8:49 am

A. Kingstone wrote:Entirely satisfying finale.

There's one thing I would have liked to see added, but aside from that I agree. The perfect way to end an amazing series and a sublime half-season.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 30th, 2013, 11:00 am

The last (short) season of "Treme" is just around the corner.
Bright moments
LennyH

Postby LennyH » September 30th, 2013, 5:29 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:Entirely satisfying finale.

The writers of Dexter can only look and weep.

It is really fucking hard to end a series well. Especially one like this. The anticipation was through the roof and it still managed to be satisfying.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 30th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:I'll ask you what that is after I see the episode. Or maybe I'll figure it out myself, who knows?

Not a big deal, really. Just a little fan service I would have liked.

Return to “The Alley”