Founding Member

Re: Happy New Year 5774!

Postby Gentle Giant » September 5th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Likewise to my fellow yehudies.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 5th, 2013, 3:00 pm

God, it seems like just yesterday it was 4157. Time's a flying. Happy New Year all!

Back when I was a suit in a big office building, I was a little taken back that people who hardly knew me just assumed from my Jewish sounding last name (I'm actually part Italian and look Italian) that I was a practicing Jew AND that it was acceptable to come up to me on a Jewish Holiday and ask why I was at work.

So I'd reply: We're Reformed Jews: We go to work on Jewish Holidays but don't do any.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 5th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Let's celebrate with Chinese food!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 5th, 2013, 3:10 pm

My dear Mom was Jewish, so I am one of the tribe.

A bit of celebration is a good idea.
Bright moments
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 5th, 2013, 3:58 pm

I would guess that in SoFla, there some pretty good cooks from Yucatan, Vera Cruz or even Puebla. It's that the gringos don't know enough to ask them to make some real Mexican food.

Am I happy living in SoCal where excellent Mexican restaurants abound.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 5th, 2013, 7:14 pm

Shana tovah u'metukah!

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 5th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Scott, do you really live in a town called Sleepy Hollow or is that a joke?

I grew up not far from Sleepy Hollow, New York.
Praise Cheeses!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 6th, 2013, 5:25 am

Tom Storer wrote:Scott, do you really live in a town called Sleepy Hollow or is that a joke?

I grew up not far from Sleepy Hollow, New York.

So did I. In what town did you grow up, Tom?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 6th, 2013, 10:35 am

Gentle Giant wrote:Likewise to my fellow yehudies.
Scott Dolan wrote:Yehudies?!

That better mean something nice! :x
Yehudi Menuhin (1916-1999)

Celebrated violinist and human rights activist on how he came to be named ‘Yehudi’ which means ‘Jew’ in Hebrew.

‘Obliged to find an apartment of their own my parents searched the neighbourhood and chose one within walking distance of the park. Showing them out after they had viewed it, the landlady said: “And you’ll be glad to know I don’t take Jews.” Her mistake made clear to her, the antisemitic landlady was renounced, and another apartment found. But her blunder left its mark. Back on the street my mother made a vow. Her unborn baby would have a label proclaiming his race to the world. He would be called “The Jew.”’
Re some posts above: Chinese food is for Christmas Eve. ;) There are traditional foods for Rosh Hashanah---but I just recently learned that one of them is pomegranates. And just for the record,
to an observant Jew, Rosh Hashanah means prayer, repentance, and righteous deeds as well as
a bit of celebration.
Image           Image     
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 6th, 2013, 12:00 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:In what town did you grow up, Tom?

From age 8 through the end of high school I lived in an area known as "the unincorporated area of Greenburgh," New York. As you may or may not know, Greenburgh is a "town" that includes six incorporated villages and a large unincorporated area. The villages are Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, Irvington, and Tarrytown. I've never been entirely certain what "incorporation" involves, but one part of it is having your own post office. Since I was in the unincorporated part, our postal address was White Plains, and indeed I could walk for twenty minutes and be in downtown White Plains. But the school district spanned Greenburgh and Hartsdale, where many friends lived, so I always felt like I was as much from Hartsdale as from Greenburgh, although neither of those was my postal address. Where were you, Steve?
Praise Cheeses!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 6th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I grew up in Ardsley, which, as you mention, was incorporated but also in the Town of Greenburgh. I know "unincorporated Greenburgh" and Hartsdale quite well. In fact, the Ardsley School District includes part of Hartsdale and Ardsley High School itself was on the border of Ardsley and Hartsdale. Wow. What years did you live there? I assume that if you were there during High School Years you went to Woodlands (?)

(How can you send the boy back to the Woodlands, now that he's seen Paris?)
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 6th, 2013, 6:39 pm

bluenoter wrote:Her unborn baby would have a label proclaiming his race to the world. He would be called “The Jew.”’

http://video.adultswim.com/childrens-ho ... ewjew.html
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 7th, 2013, 12:48 am

steve(thelil) wrote:What years did you live there? I assume that if you were there during High School Years you went to Woodlands (?)

I was there from 1966-76, the year I graduated from Woodlands High School. Small world, huh? The JC poster known as RBS was my classmate. Don't think he's here at JT yet.

(How can you send the boy back to the Woodlands, now that he's seen Paris?)

Actually RBS and I went back for a reunion a couple of years ago! As he put it, "Guys who used to steal my lunch money were all of a sudden my best friend."
Praise Cheeses!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 7th, 2013, 6:42 am

Tom: My brother Rob graduated Ardsley High in 1976, the year you graduated from Woodlands. If you and I never crossed paths at Friendly's on Central Ave or Korvette's or Nathan's or Murray's Army Navy in White Plains or somewhere else where kids went, you and Robbie probably did.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 7th, 2013, 7:18 am

steve(thelil) wrote:If you and I never crossed paths at Friendly's on Central Ave or Korvette's or Nathan's or Murray's Army Navy in White Plains or somewhere else where kids went, you and Robbie probably did.

My God, Friendly's on Central Ave. That shopping center was a frequent stomping grounds for me from grade school on. I used to buy my comic books at the Big Top, a little store next door to Friendly's. Later years included various after-dark memories from the parking lot area behind the stores.

That was in the days before malls. There were only "shopping centers."
Praise Cheeses!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 7th, 2013, 7:51 am

Tom Storer wrote:My God, Friendly's on Central Ave. That shopping center was a frequent stomping grounds for me from grade school on. I used to buy my comic books at the Big Top, a little store next door to Friendly's. Later years included various after-dark memories from the parking lot area behind the stores.

That was in the days before malls. There were only "shopping centers."

We went to that Friendly's (my first Friendly's) on many Saturday afternoons after the football game, and many other times as well. It was next to the Cinema 100, if I recall correctly (and since the memory is 30+ years old, I probably do)

There was another Big Top in Ardsley in the Village. I bought my rock magazines there. I worked there assembling the Sunday Papers during 8th grade. I assume the same 2 guys owned the Ardsley and Hartsdale Big Tops. Their names were Howard and Fred. They were a little bit Mutt and Jeffy looking. Do you remember them?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 7th, 2013, 10:45 am

sozamora wrote:
bluenoter wrote:Her unborn baby would have a label proclaiming his race to the world. He would be called “The Jew.”’

http://video.adultswim.com/childrens-ho ... ewjew.html
I'm the last person on earth to have heard of Childrens Hospital, but I spent some time investigating it and got the show credits, etc. from Wikipedia. Thanks!
Image           Image     
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » September 10th, 2013, 10:02 am

Shana Tova, all. We had some pretty tasty short ribs Wednesday night. :D
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “The Alley”