What Are You Reading?

Random and varied thoughts & topics
sozamora
Founding Member

Re: What are you reading?

Postby sozamora » July 14th, 2013, 12:02 pm

jazzbluescat wrote:
jaka wrote:Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey

The Kubrick's movie is among favorites but I hadn't read the book before. Found a left behind paperback at a recording session yesterday during a break, and enjoyed the 30-40 pages I had time to go through.
Any advice about the following books in the series, worth a shot?

Huh. I wasn't aware, or had forgotten, there was a 2001: A Space Odyssey book. I remember the flick, and as a rule, books are much better for carrying the story and stuff...I'll have to pick up the book. thanks

It's funny because the movie was released before the novel. My understanding was the Clarke wrote the screenplay and the novel at the same time.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 15th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Mr. Met wrote:My biggest issue with 2001? No baseball.

Yeah. Woulda been cool if they got to Jupiter and the monolith was the Field Of Dreams.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 15th, 2013, 1:23 pm

"Bad Monkey," Carl Hiassen's latest. What a relief from those depressed, alcoholic Scandinavian cops.

There's a laugh every page.
Bright moments
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 21st, 2013, 10:59 am

Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited,

aka: Oh Please, They're Obviously Totally Gay for Each Other

sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 23rd, 2013, 6:39 pm

Julio Cortazar - Historias De Cronopios y de Famas

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 24th, 2013, 4:46 am

I just finished my second Clevinger (first was The Contortionist's Handbook, very interesting rather than gripping) and the second was...I don't remember, something with Derma in the title. I'm not sorry I read them but I'm done with him now.

Just shifted gears to something more predictable, another Jack reacher novel. As always, it's ok.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 25th, 2013, 2:01 pm

John Whitbourn - Binscombe Tales, vol 1

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/676165586
Dr Dave
Founding Member

Postby Dr Dave » July 30th, 2013, 10:02 am

Sociology that reads like fiction. But isn't. As I read it, I kept thinking she was inventing dialogue. But it turns out she wasn't. There is an appendix that explains how she worked. I've never typed these words before: This is a must-read.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 31st, 2013, 7:38 pm

John Banville - The Book of Evidence

Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » August 1st, 2013, 6:14 am

Finished CS Lewis' GOD IN THE DOCK here at the beach. Essays theological, literary, and cultural. Always rewarding for me.
gonzo
Founding Member

Postby gonzo » August 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

batman inc. #13. the last grant morrison batman story for the foreseeable future. :clown: :clown:
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » August 3rd, 2013, 12:56 am

Back to reading reissues of old 2000 A.D. comics after I finished reading Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey (great), 2010: Odyssey Two (good), 2061: Odyssey Three (so-so) a couple of weeks ago. Didn't have the nerve to try 3001: The Final Odyssey yet, as I fear Monte's definitive statement on it could be right...
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » August 3rd, 2013, 2:30 pm

There is a reason I make definitive statements, jaka. 2000 AD comics are great. I recently discovered my stash from Britain, 1987-89. Fun.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 4th, 2013, 2:48 pm

The last few have been:

Peppermint Twist: The Mob, The Music, & the Most Famous Dance Club Of The 60's - Enjoyed this one, talk about a book that should be a movie!

I Wear The Black Hat: Grappling With Villains (Real And Imagined) - An interesting an often humorous essay on what constitutes villainy (Not necessarily evil!)

Deal With The Devil: The FBI's Secret 30-Yr Relationship With A Mafia Killer - One of those books that confirms rumours as fact due to the release of documentation unavailable to the public until now. Written more like a report than a book, I wouldn't recommend unless yr into this kinda stuff, which I am, obviously! That said, our gov't never ceases to amaze me, 'nuff said!

I was bored and in between books so last week I reached for an old friend; George R.R. Martin's 'A Storm of Swords' - Book 3 of the Game of Thrones series. I've already read the whole series (5 books so far) TWICE!! I've been at it for 6 days actually and I'm already 500+ pages in! So yeah, I'll go out on a limb and recommend it!;) Forget about whether you enjoy the genre, if you enjoy a good read and haven't read this series you really should give it a try. Outstanding reading! Make's Grant Morrison's 12 yr old Batman saga read like an Archie comic!;) :smug:
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm

I enjoyed and chuckled reading Gary's article in the New Yorker.
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » August 4th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Henry IV part 1
Bloom's The Western Canon

Waiting for my summer copy of Lapham's Quarterly, The Sea.
Dr Dave
Founding Member

Postby Dr Dave » August 6th, 2013, 2:36 pm

A kind of fever dream, but a very humane fever dream.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 6th, 2013, 3:34 pm

"The Bat" by Jo Nesbo. The first Harry Hole (ho-leh) novel. It's good but a bit of a downer.
Bright moments
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » August 7th, 2013, 4:20 am

I've been mostly avoiding to read superhero comics these past years (eventual hype about so-called new takes on the genre has fallen flat so often in the past), but really enjoyed Bendis/Mack/Janson/Sienkiewicz' Daredevil: End of Days.

Pretty typical Bendis noir-style stuff, awesome artwork.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 7th, 2013, 6:42 am

China Mieville (author), Mateus Santoloucu (illustrator) - Dial H, volume 1: Into You

I don't read many comics, but I enjoyed this. Not Mieville's best work - at least, compared to his novels - but pretty inventive. It was really confusing at times, though.
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » August 7th, 2013, 6:50 am

Recommendation noted. Seems intriguing enough from what I could get from googling it.
timoleon
Founding Member

Postby timoleon » August 8th, 2013, 4:42 am

i started <a long long way> by sebastian barry,about the ww1 and the simultaneous fight for freedom in their land for irish soldiers and civilians.
i'm still in page 40 but it's almost certain it will satisfy me,i like the writer's style a lot.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 8th, 2013, 6:49 am

Image by Will Hermes.

Thorough, informative, well-written and fun account of musical developments in many genres (including loft jazz) during a period which is often considered dormant.

Bonus points to Will Hermes for responding to my email telling him how much I was enjoying it.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 8th, 2013, 7:05 am

steve(thelil) wrote:Thorough, informative, well-written and fun account of musical developments in many genres (including loft jazz) during a period which is often considered dormant.

Dormant? As in musically dormant? I'm not sure how you would get the idea that anyone anywhere in the world thinks that NYC in the 70s was musically dormant? I can think of fewer periods and places more musically fecund in the latter part of the 20th century.

I've been hoping that somebody would make a documentary covering precisely this subject matter with segments devoted to Punk, early Hip Hop, the loft jazz scene, Nuyorican music, and early grimy gay club Disco (more Paradise Garage than Studio 54).
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » August 26th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Jeff Vandermeer - Shriek: An Afterword

Return to “The Alley”