If you could eat only one food.

Postby A. Kingstone » July 25th, 2013, 5:05 am

Everyday, forever, one food only.

Pizza.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: If you could eat only one food.

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 25th, 2013, 5:41 am

I will answer under protest because I'm having a hard time accepting such a concept.

Cheeseburger. Mind if I have it with fries?

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 25th, 2013, 5:53 am

Probably would be dead pretty quickly, but that would be mayonnaise.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 25th, 2013, 5:59 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:I will answer under protest because I'm having a hard time accepting such a concept.

Cheeseburger. Mind if I have it with fries?

Rules are rules but seeing as you're the gastro-genius of this site we'll let it slide.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 25th, 2013, 6:12 am

Mine would be pizza also. Although I prefer it plain, if I could eat only one food I would add sausage and peppers to balance my diet.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 25th, 2013, 6:34 am

Lentils. No doubt about it. Love 'em.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 25th, 2013, 6:45 am

If health concerns were not a consideration, it would be eggs.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 25th, 2013, 6:54 am

If health concerns and nutrition were not a concern I'd eat plain cheese pizza. If liquids count, I'd drink red wine.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 25th, 2013, 7:29 am

sozamora wrote:If health concerns were not a consideration, it would be eggs.

I don't really follow eggs (as a foodstuff) closely since I'm vegetarian, but I thought most of the "healthy concerns" had dissipated. Most medicos seem to have severed the close link that was once perceived between dietary cholesterol and arteriosclerosis.

Abstract from National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine (italics mine)
The perceived relationship between dietary cholesterol, plasma cholesterol and atherosclerosis is based on three lines of evidence: animal feeding studies, epidemiological surveys, and clinical trials. Over the past quarter century studies investigating the relationship between dietary cholesterol and atherosclerosis have raised questions regarding the contribution of dietary cholesterol to heart disease risk and the validity of dietary cholesterol restrictions based on these lines of evidence. Animal feeding studies have shown that for most species large doses of cholesterol are necessary to induce hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis, while for other species even small cholesterol intakes induce hypercholesterolemia. The species-to-species variability in the plasma cholesterol response to dietary cholesterol, and the distinctly different plasma lipoprotein profiles of most animal models make extrapolation of the data from animal feeding studies to human health extremely complicated and difficult to interpret. Epidemiological surveys often report positive relationships between cholesterol intakes and cardiovascular disease based on simple regression analyses; however, when multiple regression analyses account for the colinearity of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat calories, there is a null relationship between dietary cholesterol and coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality. An additional complication of epidemiological survey data is that dietary patterns high in animal products are often low in grains, fruits and vegetables which can contribute to increased risk of atherosclerosis. Clinical feeding studies show that a 100 mg/day change in dietary cholesterol will on average change the plasma total cholesterol level by 2.2-2.5 mg/dl, with a 1.9 mg/dl change in low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and a 0.4 mg/dl change in high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Data indicate that dietary cholesterol has little effect on the plasma LDL:HDL ratio. Analysis of the available epidemiological and clinical data indicates that for the general population, dietary cholesterol makes no significant contribution to atherosclerosis and risk of cardiovascular disease.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 25th, 2013, 7:46 am

BeBop wrote:
sozamora wrote:If health concerns were not a consideration, it would be eggs.

I don't really follow eggs (as a foodstuff) closely since I'm vegetarian, but I thought most of the "healthy concerns" had dissipated. Most medicos seem to have severed the close link that was once perceived between dietary cholesterol and arteriosclerosis.

I was thinking more along the lines of eating of a well-balanced and varied diet, not any specific health concern pertaining to eggs. Though I suppose if I ate omelettes with tomatoes and onions I'd get my vegetables too.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 25th, 2013, 7:53 am

sozamora wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of eating of a well-balanced and varied diet, not any specific health concern pertaining to eggs. Though I suppose if I ate omelettes with tomatoes and onions I'd get my vegetables too.

By that measure (well-balanced and varied), the "one food" diet notion advanced here is doomed from the git go. :)

At least with eggs you get some protein, healthy fat, calcium, low levels of sodium and not too many empty calories. You could do a lot worse, and I'm not sure you could do much beter on one food!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 25th, 2013, 9:01 am

Pasta with various sauces.
Bright moments
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 25th, 2013, 9:22 am

Eggs. I love them, and besides, they're the perfect protein. :)
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 25th, 2013, 11:28 am

If I didn't have to worry about my health....steak. Preferably either a ribeye, or porterhouse.

If I had to worry about my health. A ruling from the Judges is needed....

Can I just say fish, or do I need to proclaim a certain kind?

Follow-up question....can I just say sushi?
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » July 25th, 2013, 12:13 pm

hornplayer wrote:Eggs. I love them, and besides, they're the perfect protein. :)

Thank you. I used to think it was weird that I would settle on the humble egg as a favorite food when there's so much other good stuff out there. And you know about food more than most, so I feel validated.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 25th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Eggs are great, but I gotta go with my lentils for perfect protein.

No fat
No cholesterol
No sodium
Fiber (16grams per cup!)

...and please don't give me that "incomplete protein" BS that was debunked a million years ago, but lives on in legend.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 25th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Edamame.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 25th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I could run a long time on Baja fried fish tacos.
Bright moments
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 25th, 2013, 5:07 pm

moldyfigg wrote:Pasta with various sauces.

If "pasta with various sauces" counts as one thing, i would limit myself to "pasta with various meats and vegetables."
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 25th, 2013, 5:37 pm

I felt for sure thelil would say buffet.

It's a desert island kind of query and some of you are straying into box set territory.

Sushi is an interesting question. I could go for that too.

I said pizza yet a lot of things can go on top.

We may need a mediator.

I'm surprised no one said 'bread'.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 25th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Italian.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » July 25th, 2013, 6:24 pm

uli wrote:Italian.

Unless you're a discerning cannibal I'm afraid you're disqualified.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 26th, 2013, 3:17 am

It may come as a surprise to many here but I'm totally on board with lentils. No, I would not choose them for my "one" food but they are very versatile and have great flavor. I usually cook them in chicken stock and add carrots. The secret is not to cook them until they're mushy but just to the point of al dente.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 26th, 2013, 7:21 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:It may come as a surprise to many here but I'm totally on board with lentils. No, I would not choose them for my "one" food but they are very versatile and have great flavor. I usually cook them in chicken stock and add carrots. The secret is not to cook them until they're mushy but just to the point of al dente.

Yeah, that's the ticket! I sub vegetable stock for chicken and throw in onions, broccoli and whatever else I can scavenge. Throw it in a pot with my immersion heater and...
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 26th, 2013, 8:07 am

Jimmy Cantiello wrote:It may come as a surprise to many here but I'm totally on board with lentils. No, I would not choose them for my "one" food but they are very versatile and have great flavor. I usually cook them in chicken stock and add carrots. The secret is not to cook them until they're mushy but just to the point of al dente.

I'm also a fan of lentils. I particularly like the little green Le Puy from France. They're so versatile, so easy to prepare (unlike beans) they don't have to soak before cooking, so relatively quick, tasty... and so good for you/one...
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “The Alley”