Non One-Hit-Wonders who never topped first LP

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
steve(thelil)
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Non One-Hit-Wonders who never topped first LP

Postby steve(thelil) » June 28th, 2013, 7:58 am

I'm talking about quality, not sales.

And not looking for "flukes" as much as artists who produced great first albums right out of the gate.

Elvis Costello - As great as later stuff is, to me My Aim Is True is astonishing.

I thought I could come up with more right off the top of my head. The top of my head is not the
reliable resource it used to be.

But at least maybe I got it started.
sozamora
Founding Member

Re: Non One-Hit-Wonders who never topped first LP

Postby sozamora » June 28th, 2013, 8:41 am

sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » June 28th, 2013, 8:47 am

This is actually a question, not a statement. I've only heard 'Music from Big Pink' and 'The Band' by The Band. Did anything they released after that (not counting the soundtrack to The Last Waltz) compare to those two albums?
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » June 30th, 2013, 9:44 am

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » June 30th, 2013, 10:42 am

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » June 30th, 2013, 12:23 pm

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » June 30th, 2013, 1:00 pm

sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » June 30th, 2013, 1:47 pm

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 2nd, 2013, 10:07 am

stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » July 2nd, 2013, 1:18 pm

Yeah when I cited The Cars it was in the spirit of they-were-never-better-than-this.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 4th, 2013, 7:13 am

drumsolo
Founding Member

Postby drumsolo » July 5th, 2013, 8:54 am

They got more popular but never came close to equaling this album imo partially due, I'm sure, to drug overdoses of 2 of the 4 members after only 2 records. This is such a kick-ass record and way more edgier than you might think if you've only listened to Brass in Pocket or their records starting with Learning to Crawl.
darryl
Founding Member

Postby darryl » July 5th, 2013, 5:27 pm

DEVO
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 5th, 2013, 5:38 pm

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 4th, 2014, 8:32 pm

I think this is a great topic, so trying to see if I can get it going again.

Here's my contribution:
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 5th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I agree with Devo and Elvis Costello. Most of the others I don't know well enough. In the rock world, I think Led Zeppelin's first was as good as the band got...though other albums surely came close.

In jazz, Louis Smith.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 6th, 2014, 8:57 am

jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » July 6th, 2014, 10:23 am

Stone, I agree on Fiona Apple, too. The Police, not totally sure. I've always been a sucker for Ghost in the Machine and Reggatta de Blanc. But their first LP is indeed incredible, especially when you factor in the album production costs (£1,500).

And, of course, Ghost in the Machine is one of the best album covers ever.

Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 25th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Wire: Pink Flag
REM: Murmer (although the earlier EP, Chronic Town, might be even better

Return to “Other Music”