Natalie Cole

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Chazro
Founding Member

Natalie Cole

Postby Chazro » March 23rd, 2015, 2:49 pm

I was listening to 'unforgettable' today and thinking about how she's released close to a 1/2 dz records of her singing standards (own 'em all!), where she's accompanied by everything from a small combo to a big band to a full orchestra, and she nails it every time. I recall how Linda Ronstadt released her standards trilogy with Nelson Riddle to great critical acclaim. I enjoy those records but when Natalie released 'Unforgettable, With Love' I thought it dwarfed the Ronstadt records. Consequently, I've rarely revisited them. Here's a question; while I understand simply singing standards doesn't make an artist a Jazz singer (lord knows Rod Stewart will never be considered a Jazz singer!), when does a singer of standards earn 'Jazz Singer' status? I mean, is Nat King Cole a Jazz singer? We all know Ella's a Jazz singer, but is it just 'cause she scats? What makes Ella, Sarah, & Billie Jazz singers but not Frank, Tony, or Mel? Kurt Elling's a Jazz singer but....is simply improvisatory scatting what distinguishes a Jazz singer? I've never seen Natalie Cole mentioned as a singer of standards on a Jazz site or in a magazine, if she gets any mention it usually in conjunction with her father. I think this is unfair. She has an amazing voice and I think she's done wonderful work interpreting the "Great American Songbook'. Could being Nat King Cole's daughter actually be a negative?
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Re: Natalie Cole

Postby A. Kingstone » March 29th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Since reading your thoughtful post a few days ago I've returned with nothing but the wishy washy question; what is jazz?

In the interim I've heard Ella sound like a horn and Billie just sound like jazz. Jazz singers both. In the past couple of years I've become impressed by Nat Coles voice, arrangements, piano playing and my realization of his Jackie Robinsonization of television.
Natalie Cole is a fine singer obviously influenced by her surroundings as she grew up. Who decides if someone is a jazz singer? The jazz players and sidemen? Unfairly perhaps they do. Perhaps fairly they do. Your question has made me think of the many singers I've worked with and to consider which I feel are jazz singers, which are not and whether it's time to move on from this label.
DIS

Postby DIS » March 29th, 2015, 8:25 pm

You raise some interesting points and questions. Maybe who is and who isn't a jazz singer is simply in the ears of the beholder. I can remember being wowed by Unforgettable, my first introduction to Natalie. When I went to Tower Records looking for more and couldn't find anything in the jazz section, the store personnel put me on the right path by redirecting me to the Rhythm and Blues section.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » March 30th, 2015, 1:11 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:Natalie Cole is a fine singer obviously influenced by her surroundings as she grew up. Who decides if someone is a jazz singer? The jazz players and sidemen? Unfairly perhaps they do. Perhaps fairly they do. Your question has made me think of the many singers I've worked with and to consider which I feel are jazz singers, which are not and whether it's time to move on from this label.

I've always believed labels to be convenient 'tools' to be used by fans, reviewers, and writers but they probably mean next to nothing to the actual artists. On one hand, I doubt Natalie Cole's losing any sleep wondering about her Jazz cred, and yet on the other hand, I imagine she wouldn't mind some 'props' from the Jazz establishment. No, this is simply a fan wondering why she doesn't seem to get those props. As to what constitutes a Jazz singer, I think it has to do with song selection, interpretation, improvisation levels/skill, sidemen, and that most elusive factor; soul (duende, spirit, chi, whatever we want to call it). But it still can get muddled or lost in the sauce. Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett are national treasures but not who leaps to mind when the words 'Jazz singer' are uttered. But than Frank does records with Count Basie and Tony records with Bill Evans, and the results are extraordinary!
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » April 23rd, 2015, 7:53 am

What an interesting discussion. Imho Mel doesn't fit as a jazz singer because everything he ever did - including his scats - was all written down. Listening to him live was like listening to his records. He always sang each song exactly the same way. Isn't Jazz about improvisation? He didn't improvise.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » January 2nd, 2016, 2:21 pm

Well, a very sad way to start the new year. RIP Nat!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 2nd, 2016, 7:36 pm

Agreed, Chazro. I was very saddened and surprised by this news.

Natalie was one of those rare artists who embraced multiple genres with style and grace. I never considered her a jazz artist per se, but she had jazz sensibilities, without question.

R.I.P., Natalie Cole ~
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » January 5th, 2016, 10:01 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Natalie was one of those rare artists who embraced multiple genres with style and grace. I never considered her a jazz artist per se, but she had jazz sensibilities, without question.

An obit that I read somewhere (at JazzTimes.com?) said that---unbeknownst to me---she'd recorded two jazz albums. I've been meaning to find that obit again.

R.I.P.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 5th, 2016, 8:03 pm

What a fabulous photograph! I just found it while digging around. Lovely.

Ms. Cole and her father, Nat King Cole, in a photograph from about 1955. They sang together
on a Christmas album.
Credit Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » January 8th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:I never considered her a jazz artist per se, but she had jazz sensibilities, without question.

Hey Ron! So kinda/sorta going back to the original premise of the thread, I'm curious, do you consider Sinatra, Bennett, & Torme to be Jazz singers? How about Ella, Sarah, & Billie? I think that while the answers may be obvious, when you start to break it down and really think about it, it's not quite so cut and dry.
DIS

Re: Natalie Cole ~ Unforgettable

Postby DIS » January 8th, 2016, 10:49 pm

I always thought Natalie's Cole's Unforgattable, was spectacular. I feel fortunate to have about 10 of the big-band charts she recorded on that album. They're timeless.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » January 10th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Chazro wrote:
Hey Ron! So kinda/sorta going back to the original premise of the thread, I'm curious, do you consider Sinatra, Bennett, & Torme to be Jazz singers? How about Ella, Sarah, & Billie? I think that while the answers may be obvious, when you start to break it down and really think about it, it's not quite so cut and dry.

Yes it does rewind the discussion back to your initial post, Chazro. :music:

I enjoy the output of all six singers you listed above, some more than others. There are many stylistic influences shared by most musicians and singers, so a singular direction seems all but impossible. Having said that, most of us know what we appreciate and even expect from an artist approaching music from a jazz perspective ...

I've always tried really hard to not pigeonhole musicians and singers with a strict genre label. Musically speaking, jazz is my first love, but I also dig other forms/styles. So, when I play or listen, there's room for a variety of styles of expression, even within a single piece. No, it's never been cut and dried with me, either. There are many shades of gray when discussing musical styles, and an artist's approach either works for you or it doesn't. I don't concern myself with what others say in that regard.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”