recs for a jazz newbie

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
HenryMc
Founding Member

recs for a jazz newbie

Postby HenryMc » February 16th, 2015, 3:31 pm

A friend has asked me for some recs for jazz. I have a list that reflects my tastes and thought I'd ask here if anyone has a suggestion (one or two ) of recordings out of left field that a person coming to jazz from dance and trance may dig
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: recs for a jazz newbie

Postby moldyfigg » February 16th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Anything by Bill Evans, Cannonball or Basie
Bright moments
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » February 16th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Hi all,
This web site is banned at where I work so I hardly ever find time to post. Add to that my raid drive failed and the backup restoration took forever. Sigh. I'm about back online.

So...dance and trance...

I bet Jaga Jazzist - Live with Britten Sinfona would work.
is Nils Petter Molvaer's Baboon Moon too much?

edit: There's always Snarky Puppy.

PSS. Is Dolan toast again? I want him back.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 16th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Coda wrote:
PSS. Is Dolan toast again? I want him back.

Nice to see you posting again, Coda.

Scott turned the reins over to me this past July. He had tired of it and wanted to move on. I'm glad to keep things moving forward, with the assistance of our concierge/moderator, bluenoter (Rita), and technical guru, jtx (Justin). Also, some kind folks have contributed to the financial needs (which are minimal) via our Tip Jar on the home page.

More info
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » February 17th, 2015, 7:08 am

HenryMc wrote:A friend has asked me for some recs for jazz. I have a list that reflects my tastes and thought I'd ask here if anyone has a suggestion (one or two ) of recordings out of left field that a person coming to jazz from dance and trance may dig

I'm not really sure what "dance and trance" is exactly. I did however recently recommend a recording to one of my young employees who is into electronic music and he really dug it. Might be worth a try...

Jozef Dumoulin's Red Hill Orchestra w Ellery Eskelin and Dan Weiss.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 18th, 2015, 7:54 pm

Glad to see you posting again, HenryMc!

I'm not familiar with dance & trance either, but don't know if it's necessary for someone to "cut their teeth" on something which meshes with something with which they're already familiar. I feel that with jazz, for instance, if it's not too jarring, "out" or complex, it's probably cool.

Something in the early (70s) fusion category might spark something with such a new set of "jazz ears".

Return To Forever
Weather Report
Klaus Doldinger/Passport

For instance:

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » February 23rd, 2015, 2:07 pm

Brad Mehldau & Mark Guiliana have a 2014 release titled Mehliana: Taming The Dragon

Review by Thom Jurek
Mehliana is the recording and performing project of pianist and composer Brad Mehldau and drummer, composer, and electronic musician Mark Guiliana. The former is one of the most highly regarded artists in the jazz world; the latter, a decade his junior, is a celebrated sideman and the leader of the genre-defying Beat Music, an ensemble that deftly juxtaposes electronica, funk, jazz, prog rock, and more. Mehldau wrote half of the cuts on Taming the Dragon; the duo co-wrote the balance. more>> http://www.allmusic.com/album/mehliana- ... 0002603543
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » March 10th, 2015, 8:46 am

Try Nels Petter Molvaer. His Hamada CD is trancy..... or is that trancey.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”