Jazz in NYC

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Jazz in NYC

Postby Ron Thorne » July 20th, 2013, 2:51 pm

BILL CHARLAP presents JAZZ IN JULY!

If you're planning to be in New York City on Tuesday, July 23rd, come out to the Kauffman Concert Hall at 92nd Street and Lexington to hear an incredible evening of the music of Chick Corea! It's an all-star band with CHRIS POTTER (tenor), STEVE WILSON (alto, soprano & flute), DIEGO URCOLA (trumpet), BILL CHARLAP & RENEE ROSNES (piano), SCOTT COLLEY (bass) and the amazing JEFF BALLARD (drums)!

We'll be delving into some of Chick's most beautiful compositions...MATRIX, CRYSTAL SILENCE, the CHILDREN'S SONGS, YOU'RE EVERYTHING, QUARTET NO. 2, PART 2 (Dedicated to John Coltrane), WINDOWS, SEÑOR MOUSE, MIRROR MIRROR, TONES FOR JOAN'S BONES, SPAIN, and more. This is a one-time event with a one-time cast of musicians, many of whom have played in Chick's bands over the years, but are coming together here for the first time!

It's going to be a thrilling night of sweet sensitivity and sparkling virtuosity!

"I WRITE MUSIC TO CELEBRATE LIFE." - Chick Corea

For more info and to order tickets, click here > Kauffman Concert Hall
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Re: Jazz in NYC

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 24th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Lots of good stuff:

Jazz Gallery
1160 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10001
(646) 494-3625

Ingrid Laubroack Quintet on 7/27

Ingrid on saxophones
With:
Tim Berne - saxophones
Ben Gersteain - trombone - wonderful player
Dan Peck - tuba
Tom rainey - drums

of course if it isn't crazy hot, I NEED to go to the Sunday show below - yet the Thursday night and Saturday night line-ups are equally enticing as the *great* Gerry Hemingway on Saturday follows the wonderous groovemaster, Mr. Gerald Cleaver on Thursday.

7/25 Thursday (DDT)
8 pm
Michael Moore, Mary Halvorsen and Gerald Cleaver
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Mary Halvorsen (guitar) Gerald Cleaver (drums)

10 pm
Michael Moore, Mary Halvorsen and Gerald Cleaver, Tony Malaby, Mike Formanek
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Mary Halvorsen (guitar) Gerald Cleaver (drums) Tony Malaby (sax) Mike Formanek (bass)

7/26 Friday (CWL)
8 pm
Holocene Trio
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Guy Klusevcek (accordion) Mr. Cello (cello)

10 pm
Michael Moore, Peter Evans, Denman Maroney and Tom Rainey
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Peter Evans (trumpet) Denman Maroney (piano) Tom Rainey (drums)

7/27 Saturday (ICS)
8 and 10 pm
Michael Moore Quintet
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Russ Lossing (piano) Herb Robertson (trumpet) Mark Helias (bass) Gerry Hemingway (drums)

7/28 Sunday (SK)
8 pm
Horn Guys
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Ray Anderson (trombone) Ellery Eskelin, Tony Malaby (tenor saxes)

10 pm
Michael Moore plays Available Jelly
Michael Moore (sax, clarinet) Ray Anderson (trombone) Ellery Eskelin, Tony Malaby (tenor saxes) Marcus Rojas (tuba) Gerry Hemingway (drums)
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 24th, 2013, 1:19 pm

@ Cornelia Street Café

Ellery Eskelin's New York Trio on July 26 & 27th

Peter Evans' Zebulon Trio on July 31

Chris Speed Trio on Aug 1-3

Mary Halvorson Residency @ the Stone

8/13 Tuesday
8 pm
Mary Halvorson and Joe Morris
Mary Halvorson (guitar) Joe Morris (guitar)

10 pm
Mary Halvorson and Brandon Seabrook
Mary Halvorson (guitar) Brandon Seabrook (guitar)

8/14 Wednesday (KR)
8 and 10 pm
Thumbscrew
Mary Halvorson (guitar), Michael Formanek (bass) Tomas Fujiwara (drums)

8/15 Thursday (KR)
8 and 10 pm
Thumbscrew
Mary Halvorson (guitar) Michael Formanek (bass) Tomas Fujiwara (drums)

8/16 Friday (KR)
8 and 10 pm
Mary Halvorson Septet
Jonathan Finlayson (trumpet) Tim Berne (alto sax) Ingrid Laubrock (tenor sax) Jacob Garchik (trombone) Mary Halvorson (guitar) John Hébert (bass) Ches Smith (drums)
3 night record release event for Illusionary Sea on Firehouse 12 records!

8/17 Saturday (KR)
8 and 10 pm
Mary Halvorson Septet
Jonathan Finlayson (trumpet) Tim Berne (alto sax) Ingrid Laubrock (tenor sax) Jacob Garchik (trombone) Mary Halvorson (guitar) John Hébert (bass) Ches Smith (drums)

8/18 Sunday (KR)
8 and 10 pm
Mary Halvorson Septet

A residency in September for Larry Ochs, Peter Evans, and Evan Parker
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 24th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Great free jazz concert double bill tonight in Madison Square Park. Dafnis Prieto's sextet and and Yosvany Terry's Quintet:6:00pm - 8:30pm
Here's the blurb from the website:

".Cuban born drum virtuoso Dafnis Prieto is joining the Mad. Sq. stage with his accomplished sextet including Ralph Alessi (trumpet), John Beaty (alto/soprano saxophones), Manuel Valera (piano), Peter Apfelbaum (tenor and soprano saxophone) and Johannes Weidenmueller (bass). The Wall Street Journal says, “[Prieto] has transformed Afro-Cuban rhythms … These pieces are emotionally charged and stylistically diverse, carried along not just by rhythm but also through lovely harmonized passages, horn fanfares, and powerfully conjured moods.” Prieto has served on the Music Faculty at NYU since 2005, toured Europe with the groundbreaking group Columna B and was the recipient of a 2011 MacArthur “genius grant.”

Cuban saxophonist, Yosvany Terry has absorbed and incorporated American jazz traditions with his own Afro-Cuban roots to produce compositions and solo work that flow from the rhythmic and hard driving avant-garde to sweet sounding lyricism. His voice and style are unique and complex, and with his new Quintet, he has married Cuban and American musical traditions to create a new and exciting sound. The Quintet is comprised of Jonathan Finlayson (trumpet), Osmany Paredes (piano), Yunior Terry (bass), and Justin Brown (drums). Time Out New York says, “like James Carter, Cuban saxophonist Yosvany Terry has a voice on several axes, but alto is his specialty. He’s capable of making Afro-Cuban jazz seem folksy and modernistic all at once.” - See more at: http://www.madisonsquarepark.org/things ... uTawz.dpuf"

I'm not attending because the Mrs and I are going to ANOTHER free show, opening night at Lincoln Center Out of Doors:

KRONOS AT 40
Red Hot + FELA LIVE! (world premiere)
featuring Tony Allen and Superhuman Happiness
with Baloji, Abena Koomson, Kronos Quartet, M1 (of dead prez), Sahr Ngaujah, Sinkane, and Alex Toth and Kalmia Traver (of Rubblebucket)
Musical Director: Stuart Bogie

Superhuman Happiness: Music from How to Survive a Plague (world premiere)
Wed, July 24, 7:30pm
Damrosch Park Bandshell

Many things are expensive in NYC, like housing and parking. But it's a myth that you have to sped a lot of money for good entertainment - although you certainly can. But the availability of wonderful free cultural events in the summer is mind blowing.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 24th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Fred Hersh Trio w/ Joe Lovano @ Village Vanugard - July 24-28

@ Birdland

Steve Kuhn, Dave Liebman, Buster Williams, Billy Hart - July 24-27

Trio 3 + Special Guest Vijay Iyer (Reggie Workman / Oliver Lake / Andrew Cyrille) - August 6-10

Billy Hart Quartet - Aug. 21-24

Dave Liebman New Quartet, or Big Band - Sept. 9-14

P.S. Anyone interested....Kenny G @ Blue Note - Oct 17-19 :devil:

- Duke Ellington
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 30th, 2013, 5:54 am

Tuesday August 13th - 2 sets @ 7 and 9:30
A Celebration of Mulgrew Miller on what would have been his birthday.

I'm guessing this will sell out...
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 30th, 2013, 6:52 am

hornplayer wrote:Tuesday August 13th - 2 sets @ 7 and 9:30

Where is that show? (Sounds like something you'd expect at that Church on the Upper East Side.)
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 30th, 2013, 6:59 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
hornplayer wrote:Tuesday August 13th - 2 sets @ 7 and 9:30

Where is that show? (Sounds like something you'd expect at that Church on the Upper East Side.)

Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola @ the Lincoln Center.

http://jalc.org/events/event/av-136062#.UffUeY3YeSo

- Duke Ellington
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 31st, 2013, 7:02 am

Will most likely be going to Birdland with my wife to see Trio 3 plus Vijay Iyer on Saturday, August 10th - been a while since I've see the wonderful trio and my wife likes the bigger more comfy jazz clubs - and I've never been to Birdland but I heard it's a nice place.

Other interesting NYC shows for August for me are the Mary Halvorsen shows @ The Stone 8/13 - 8/18 and the Satako Fujii shows the following week.

If the weather is reasonable, I may go to this night:
8/17 Saturday 8 and 10 pm
Mary Halvorson Septet
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 31st, 2013, 7:25 am

Steve Reynolds wrote:Will most likely be going to Birdland with my wife to see Trio 3 plus Vijay Iyer on Saturday, August 10th - been a while since I've see the wonderful trio and my wife likes the bigger more comfy jazz clubs - and I've never been to Birdland but I heard it's a nice place.

Your wife will love it. It's on the 5th floor and the backdrop for the performers is a glass wall overlooking Central Park with the East Side's tall buildings peeking/peaking out over the park.

The sound is excellent, it's pretty, not cramped and friendly.

In my experience, the food has been bland and uninspired, but it's been a while.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 31st, 2013, 7:43 am

Steve Reynolds wrote:If the weather is reasonable, I may go to this night:
Mary Halvorson Septet
Have y'all heard Ingrid Laubrock live yet, Preacher? I was very impressed with her when I did (in a group led by Kris Davis, the pianist, that included Maneri the Younger). Ingrid's gonna be a star (if she isn't already, as such things go)!
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 31st, 2013, 7:45 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
Steve Reynolds wrote:Will most likely be going to Birdland with my wife to see Trio 3 plus Vijay Iyer on Saturday, August 10th - been a while since I've see the wonderful trio and my wife likes the bigger more comfy jazz clubs - and I've never been to Birdland but I heard it's a nice place.

Your wife will love it. It's on the 5th floor and the backdrop for the performers is a glass wall overlooking Central Park with the East Side's tall buildings peeking/peaking out over the park.

In my experience, the food has been bland and uninspired, but it's been a while.

and it's expensive - listed @ $30/$40. The $40 is for center seating.

And the sets are listed @ 8:30 & 11:00 so I guess they should play a pretty long set for the 8:30, I would hope.
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 31st, 2013, 7:50 am

bluenoter wrote:
Steve Reynolds wrote:If the weather is reasonable, I may go to this night:
Mary Halvorson Septet
Have y'all heard Ingrid Laubrock live yet, Preacher? I was very impressed with her when I did. She's gonna be a star (if she isn't already, as such things go)!

Yes, I have seen her a number of times and results have varied from impressive (with the trio of Tom Rainey & Mary Halvorsen), to sturdy, accomplished playing (twice with Kris Davis' Capricaorn Climber Quintet - although the last time in June, I think - she was overwhelmed and overshadowed by the brilliance of Mat Maneri) to being overwhelmed in her own Anti-House band by overaraching and stifling composistions wheich took the heart and fire right out of the band the time I saw them. I've snuck a few peaks of other shows by the band (through You Tube) and the results did NOT vary.

So my impression is that she is a fine talent who is best when the vibe is more fiery free improvisation.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 31st, 2013, 8:24 am

(Re Ingrid Laubrock)
Steve Reynolds wrote:. . . to sturdy, accomplished playing (twice with Kris Davis' Capricorn Climber Quintet - although the last time in June, I think - she was overwhelmed and overshadowed by the brilliance of Mat Maneri)
Ha! I'd just edited my post above. I probably saw that group within a few days of one of the times that you did (only with Michael Formanek on bass). Disagree! Disagree! :D However, I've still heard very little of Ingrid L. aside from that show.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 31st, 2013, 9:29 am

steve(thelil) wrote:

Steve(thelil), put the blunt down. The venue you've described is Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola which is located at Columbus Circle. Birdland is on West 44th St. As you know, both joints are nice.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » July 31st, 2013, 10:07 am

This one tonight I cannot make but I URGE anyone who can to get there for BOTH sets:

Tony Malaby’s Tamarindo

Wednesday, July 31, 7:30 pm – two sets

The powerhouse trio of Tamarindo with Tony Malby, William Parker & Nasheet Waits will break in new material at Greenwich House just prior to going into the studio to record their third album.

Tony Malaby, saxophone; William Parker, double-bass; Nasheet Waits, drums

Greenwich House Music School, 46 Barrow Street
Tickets: $20 ($15 for students and seniors)
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 31st, 2013, 11:08 am

@ Rita (just want to say....good to say @ Rita again! Okay, I will stop!)

I have enjoyed Laubrock each time I have seen her.

@ Steve R. Live in Willisau....nuff said! I think is Malaby is vastly underrated.

@ Jimmy: I don't partake of the Ganja....but I know friends that would love to know what he was smoking. Seriously, I think he was still thinking of the Mulgrew Miller Tribute.

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 31st, 2013, 11:36 am

Steve Reynolds wrote:
And the sets are listed @ 8:30 & 11:00 so I guess they should play a pretty long set for the 8:30, I would hope.

I wouldn't bet the farm on it. But maybe.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 31st, 2013, 11:40 am

Jimmy was right about me confusing Birdland with Dizzy's, even as far as the substance in question. He loses only 1 point with respect to the herb delivery system involved.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 1st, 2013, 6:36 pm

- Duke Ellington
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » August 2nd, 2013, 3:14 pm

Steve Reynolds wrote:And the sets are listed @ 8:30 & 11:00 so I guess they should play a pretty long set for the 8:30, I would hope.

Steve, Birdland is hit or miss. Sometimes the sets run longer depending on who's playing. The 8:30 set can last an hour, again, depending on who's playing. On the other hand, the set can run longer. If you look at the start of the set times there will most likely be at least an hour break in between sets. So, the first set is going to end no later than 10:00 on the outside. However, I've been at Birdland when the line outside waiting to come in for the 11:00 set was not long. That's when they announce that anyone that is already in the house is welcome to stay for the second set without a cover. Of course they hope you throw done some more coin during the second set but it's not mandatory. I gotta say I've had some great nights at Birdland. One of the best was listening to Joe Lovano while sitting at the bar.

Speaking of the bar at Birdland, there are no bad site lines in the house so if you choose to sit at the bar, unless they've changed policy, that's the way to go if you want to save a little coin. The bar is "lower rent" but still relatively close to the stage.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 4th, 2013, 6:13 pm

San Jose's own Pete Fallico coming to New York to present

I will present Seleno Clarke with an Achievement Award from our Jazz Organ Fellowship (JOF) nonprofit organization on Sunday, August 18th in Harlem, New York. JOF will recognize Seleno for his 15-year-running internationally known jam session which has allowed hundreds of young and aspiring jazz organists from around the world to cut their teeth and play with both peers as well as the legends of jazz. Be there if you can to help me celebrate this amazing achievement of Seleno Clarke! 248 West 132nd St. in Harlem
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » August 5th, 2013, 6:20 am

thanks, Jimmy

We will spring for the center seat table

fwiw - I really like Trio 3 with a pianist. It lends a different vibe to the band. Always interesting how the pianist finds their space within the band.
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » August 10th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Front row! Said hello to Reggie Workman as he was coming in. He looks great.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 10th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Is a review of the Birdland gig forthcoming, Steve?
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “Jazztalk Central”