The Next Big Thing?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Re: The Next Big Thing?

Postby steve(thelil) » October 18th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Was David Schnitter once considered a Next Big Thing in some circles? I thought I'd heard that.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 18th, 2013, 3:19 pm

There was this guitarist a few years ago who did trick stuff who was hyped as TNBT. I can't remember his name.
Bright moments
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 18th, 2013, 3:50 pm

moldyfigg wrote:There was this guitarist a few years ago who did trick stuff who was hyped as TNBT. I can't remember his name.

Stanley Jordan, Clint?
He's been around quite a while 25 years or more, but man was he hyped at first!!

steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 18th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Mike Schwartz wrote:
moldyfigg wrote:There was this guitarist a few years ago who did trick stuff who was hyped as TNBT. I can't remember his name.

Stanley Jordan, Clint?
He's been around quite a while 25 years or more, but man was he hyped at first!!

Charlie Hunter also sort of does trick stuff (playing bass and guitar simultaneously). He wasn't as hyped as Jordan, but I prefer his music. His cooperative band TJ Kirk was funky as hell.

I saw Jordan a few years ago at Dizzy's (I think) and was disappointed. As good as his technique was, his set bordered on "New Age" music, and may have even crossed that border to the wrong side. I assume his repertoire is much more diverse than the set I heard.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 18th, 2013, 5:19 pm

[img]
Hunter....much more recent than Jordan and I agree about the "New Age" comment Steve.
Image[/img]
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » October 19th, 2013, 8:44 am

I think James Carter and Regina Carter (no relation) were each hyped a great deal and then went on to merely average careers. They're successful, all right, but they aren't reference points.
Praise Cheeses!
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » October 19th, 2013, 2:00 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Steve is apparently unfamiliar with the expression "the Next Big Thing"

Christopher Holliday isn't.

First name I thought of. Maybe the jazz world wasn't ready for a white guy with a Jackie McLean fixation. The kid had chops, and I still play his eponymous album.

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » October 19th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Charlie Hunter also sort of does trick stuff (playing bass and guitar simultaneously). He wasn't as hyped as Jordan, but I prefer his music. His cooperative band TJ Kirk was funky as hell.

I saw Jordan a few years ago at Dizzy's (I think) and was disappointed. As good as his technique was, his set bordered on "New Age" music, and may have even crossed that border to the wrong side. I assume his repertoire is much more diverse than the set I heard.

I haven't heard anything from him in many years, but saw him live a couple of times and can say that in his heyday he was really pushing things forward. He covered Oliver Nelson, Miles, and Monk, as well as Hendrix, Page/Plant, and Michael Jackson, so I'd say New Age would be a newer avenue for him.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 19th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Yep, Jordan.
Bright moments
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 19th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Gentle Giant wrote:

I haven't heard anything from him in many years, but saw him live a couple of times and can say that in his heyday he was really pushing things forward. He covered Oliver Nelson, Miles, and Monk, as well as Hendrix, Page/Plant, and Michael Jackson, so I'd say New Age would be a newer avenue for him.

thanks GG: I thought I remembered him being jazzier back when he was hyped as the next big thing.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 20th, 2013, 2:03 am

Tom Storer wrote:I think James Carter and Regina Carter (no relation) were each hyped a great deal and then went on to merely average careers. They're successful, all right, but they aren't reference points.

They are in fact cousins.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 20th, 2013, 7:19 am

Tom Storer wrote:I think James Carter and Regina Carter (no relation) were each hyped a great deal and then went on to merely average careers. They're successful, all right, but they aren't reference points.

Agree that they aren't reference points. But for jazz artists, I think their careers would be considered above average in terms of media exposure, being on major labels (James: Columbia and Atlantic; Regina: Atlantic and Verve) and cd sales. Other than Diana Krall, Wynton and Branford, I can't think of any current jazz artists under 45 years old who have had bigger careers. Except maybe cross-over jazz/pop artists like Michael Buble, John Pizzarelli and Harry Connick. Connick certainly is bigger with the neo-Sinatra stuff, but I don't think his straight ahead jazz stuff had big sales. I could be wrong. It's klnd of a hobby.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 20th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Jacky Terrasson
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » October 20th, 2013, 1:03 pm

It's funny--some of these artists were indeed pretty damned big, so perhaps Stanley Jordan *was* the next big thing, and the only thing we need to agree on is the definition of and required qualifying length of 'bigness.' Just because you're the next big thing doesn't mean you can't also end up a minor historical footnote, like 99.99999999% of those who came before you and will come after.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » October 20th, 2013, 6:22 pm

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » October 20th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but I bet the band got sick fast of watching Billy K's solo night after night.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 20th, 2013, 7:46 pm

What about Harry Connick, Jr?
He was hot for a while, but.........then what?
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » October 20th, 2013, 8:27 pm

He can still draw the modern day blue hairs.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 21st, 2013, 12:08 am

uli wrote:Is Chris Botti still hot?

He packs them in large auditoriums all the time, and is one of the darlings of PBS fund raisers.

So thinly veiled is his mediocre trumpet playing, amazing to me that he's clearly the least talented and creative musician on his own band. I guess to his credit he knows enough to hire guys that cover for him.

That's Billy Child/keyboards, James Genus/bass and Kilson/drums
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 21st, 2013, 7:34 am

I can't help but thinking that there must be times Billy Kilson gets a little bummed about (allegedly) being booted from Dave Holland's band and being in Botti's instead.
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » October 21st, 2013, 9:33 am

Maybe but he sure looks like he enjoys the attention, doesn't he? Great player.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 21st, 2013, 9:42 am

Jazzooo wrote:Maybe but he sure looks like he enjoys the attention, doesn't he? Great player.

Yep.

In live performance, I've enjoyed his drumming as much as anybody I can recall, and I've seen almost all the greats who've performed over the last 30 years (Never saw Blakey). I'm not saying Kilson is/was the best (or that he isn't) but I found him tremendously entertaining in live performance. Same goes for Horacio “El Negro” Hernandez.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 21st, 2013, 10:02 am

steve(thelil) wrote:I can't help but thinking that there must be times Billy Kilson gets a little bummed about (allegedly) being booted from Dave Holland's band and being in Botti's instead.

This is terribly misrepresented thelil....at the time he left Holland was going out with his own band and supporting a recording as well "Pots & Pans" 2006 (had him on the show at the time of the release). Not 1 word negative about the Holland experience, and have spoken with Dave as well.

The Botti gig a very good paycheck.....
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » October 21st, 2013, 10:22 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
Jazzooo wrote:Maybe but he sure looks like he enjoys the attention, doesn't he? Great player.

Yep.

In live performance, I've enjoyed his drumming as much as anybody I can recall, and I've seen almost all the greats who've performed over the last 30 years (Never saw Blakey). I'm not saying Kilson is/was the best (or that he isn't) but I found him tremendously entertaining in live performance. Same goes for Horacio “El Negro” Hernandez.

Billy Kilson live with the Holland band way back in the JCS days when I think a bunch of us attended was close to as good as any drummer I've ever seen live

like thelil, *I* think I've see most of the greats as well.....and Kilson live that night played like one of the greats.

too bad, it never came across on the ECM recordings like Prime Directive as well you know that same old tired *true* story
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 21st, 2013, 10:51 am

Steve Reynolds wrote:
like thelil, *I* think I've see most of the greats as well.....and Kilson live that night played like one of the greats.

too bad, it never came across on the ECM recordings like Prime Directive as well you know that same old tired *true*

story

And I have seen both Gerry Hemmmmingway and Andrew Cyrille, btw.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”