Phil Woods announces his retirement

All the Jazz-related news that's fit for print!
bluenoter
Concierge

Phil Woods announces his retirement

Postby bluenoter » September 7th, 2015, 9:12 am

Excerpted from this article at post-gazette.com

Friday evening [September 4, 2015] at the Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild promised to be historic, with alto saxophonist and NEA Jazz Master Phil Woods reprising the classic album “Charlie Parker With Strings,” backed by a local trio and members of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

Well, it was indeed historic but for an unforeseen reason: Before his last number, Mr. Woods, best known to the casual music listener as the soloist on Billy Joel’s “Just the Way You Are,” announced that it would be his last number. Ever.

The 83-year-old Mr. Woods, who uses oxygen — at the beginning he jokingly referred to his tank as “my amplifier” and later noted he has emphysema — said that he was retiring from the stage due to health reasons. That being the case, he went out with a bang, and if he was having any trouble breathing it surely didn’t show in the performance, which was so solid throughout that I had some trouble picking out highlights. . . .

Mr. Woods made the retirement announcement, including sharing part of his history, just before he and [trumpeter Jamie] Moore went into the closer, Gerry Mulligan’s “Rocker.” . . .

At the end of the evening, after he was wheeled out to a standing ovation, and most of the other musicians had left the stage, Mr. Woods’ sax remained there on a stand, perhaps similar to a wrestler leaving his shoes in the ring after his last bout.

If he’s true to his word, no one will ever again hear that horn.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Phil Woods announces his retirement

Postby Ron Thorne » September 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Good for Phil!

This is poignant, and hits too close to home.

I sure would love finding a video of this performance.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 8th, 2015, 3:55 am

I especially liked the group he had in the 70's with Steve Gilmore on bass and Bill Goodwin on drums. I think the album that introduced him to me was called "Live at the Showboat." Another was "Musique du Bois" with Jaki Byard, Richard Davis, and Alan Dawson. But I haven't gotten that much further into his recorded output. Any suggestions for the best Phil Woods?
Praise Cheeses!
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » September 8th, 2015, 10:57 am

A poignant story indeed. What a career. Parts of The Rights of Swing still just knock me out.

If you want to hear some never-before heard Phil Woods, go to Frankrehak.com and click on 'music' then scroll down to these tracks:

Sweet Georgia Brown, with Frank and Phil playing beautifully and accompanied by Ray Brown and Barney Kessel;

Donna Lee--same cast, just the end of Phil's solo unfortunately, but Frank plays his ass off;

Have You Met Miss Jones--Frank and Phil just having a ball, imo.

in fact, if anyone has a way to contact Phil I'd like to send him these recordings. Thanks.

Return to “Jazz News”