Morley Safer — R.I.P.

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Morley Safer — R.I.P.

Postby Ron Thorne » May 19th, 2016, 2:46 pm

This is such sad news. Patti and I watched the 60 Minutes special on Sunday and were so happy for Morley and his retirement. Wow.

60 Minutes' Morley Safer dies at 84

Longtime CBS newsman Morley Safer of "60 Minutes" and Vietnam War reporting fame dies at 84

May 19, 2016

Morley Safer CBS News

Morley Safer, the CBS newsman who changed war reporting forever when he showed GIs burning the huts of Vietnamese villagers and went on to become the iconic 60 Minutes correspondent whose stylish stories on America's most-watched news program made him one of television's most enduring stars, died today in Manhattan. He was 84. He had homes in Manhattan and Chester, Conn.

Safer was in declining health when he announced his retirement last week; CBS News broadcast a long-planned special hour to honor the occasion on Sunday May 15 that he watched in his home.

Newsmakers
Morley Safer: A Reporter's Life

A huge presence on 60 Minutes for 46 years -- Safer enjoyed the longest run anyone ever had on primetime network television. Though he cut back a decade ago, he still appeared regularly until recently, captivating audiences with his signature stories on art, science and culture. A dashing figure in his checked shirt, polka dot tie and pocket square, Morley Safer -- even his name had panache -- was in his true element playing pool with Jackie Gleason, delivering one of his elegant essays aboard the Orient Express or riffing on Anna Wintour, but he also asked the tough questions and did the big stories. In 2011, over 18.5 million people watched him ask Ruth Madoff how she could not have known her husband Bernard was running a billion-dollar Ponzi scheme. The interview was headline news and water cooler talk for days.

Full Story
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “R.I.P. (General)”