Joan Rivers — R.I.P.

bluenoter
Concierge

Joan Rivers — R.I.P.

Postby bluenoter » September 4th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Thursday, September 4, 2014

The CNN.com article, which is accompanied by various related features, continues here.

R.I.P.
Chazro
Founding Member

Re: Joan Rivers — R.I.P.

Postby Chazro » September 4th, 2014, 2:04 pm

RIP

The strangest thing is that just last Tues. she did her fashion rip on the VMA's and Emmy's and she seemed fine. I think she was killed during the procedure. The clinic's being investigated. Regardless - RIP.
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » September 4th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Certainly feels like a hospital complication gone awry. It remains to be seen whether they actually did anything wrong, but I suppose it wouldn't be a surprise. And yes, R.I.P. Joan Rivers was one of a kind.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 4th, 2014, 2:30 pm

I loved Joan Rivers. She was a survivor. In my family that counts for a lot. However, the procedure she underwent required general anesthesia which, unfortunately, comes with huge risks. No, I don't have a medical degree so I may be talking out of my ass but...I'm guessing there is not necessarily any negligence. In short, sometimes "shit happens". I have a feeling Joan lived a full life, so I would say that is a good thing.

RIP, Funny Lady
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » September 5th, 2014, 7:21 am

Jimmy, your comments mirror my feelings almost exactly. General anesthesia is always risky -- a fact many Americans seem to not be aware of. Wendy Wasserstein died from the anesthetic a few years back. but yes, Joan was surely one of a kind. Funny, spunky, told it like she saw it. The angels must be up there guffawing, with the new additions of Joan and Robin Williams... Very sad. :(
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » September 5th, 2014, 7:37 am

How many anesthetized surgical procedures did this 81 year old voluntarily undergo in her life time? Attacking the appearance of others as TV's celebrity court jester, she was a plastic surgery addict and attached herself to one of the grossest aspects of modern culture. She was herself a gross aspect of modern culture. My best to her family.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 5th, 2014, 7:43 am

Well, Monte, if it makes you feel better, from what I understand this last procedure, although elective, was a purely medical issue (vocal chord surgery) as opposed to a cosmetic issue. Ironic for sure.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » September 5th, 2014, 8:30 am

You know my wife is an anesthetist. She'll tell you that when anything goes wrong in the OR, say an 81 year old lady with a life expectancy of around 81 dies, everyone will blame the anesthesia, because the operation of anesthetics is largely a mystery to most people, even most doctors, and all juries. She'd also tell you that every surgical procedure is risky, and the risk is compounded with each surgery, so I don't understand these people who fuck around with their faces for fun.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » September 5th, 2014, 11:28 am

Hey, I'm with you, my friend. I would not subject myself to general anesthesia unless it was totally unavoidable. It's beyond me why some people take such a thing so lightly. Sad situation just the same.
tippy
Founding Member

Postby tippy » September 5th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Haven't paid attention to her in years, realizing in her passing that I have a fondness for her all the same. Remember her as a mainstay on the Tonight Show. Someone suggested to me that she was undergoing an endoscopy (to stretch her esophagus) in a doctor's office and that she wasn't in a hospital when this happened. But that may be pure conjecture.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 5th, 2014, 10:30 pm

tippy wrote:Haven't paid attention to her in years, realizing in her passing that I have a fondness for her all the same. Remember her as a mainstay on the Tonight Show. Someone suggested to me that she was undergoing an endoscopy (to stretch her esophagus) in a doctor's office and that she wasn't in a hospital when this happened. But that may be pure conjecture.

According to news reports, Joan was undergoing an endoscopy procedure in a very reputable outpatient setting, so that much wasn't conjecture, tippy.

Sad loss, for sure.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne

Return to “R.I.P. (General)”