Joe Cocker — R.I.P.

bluenoter
Concierge

Joe Cocker — R.I.P.

Postby bluenoter » December 22nd, 2014, 12:50 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/joe-cocker-iconic-rock-singer-dead-at-70-20141222

Singer-songwriter Joe Cocker, known for his distinct, bluesy voice and his heartfelt renditions of Beatles classics, died in his Colorado
home on Monday following a battle with lung cancer. One of Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers, Cocker was 70. The British singer's
agent, Barrie Marshall, confirmed the death to the BBC, adding that Cocker was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the
space he leaves in our hearts."

"John Robert Cocker, known to family, friends, his community and fans around the world as Joe Cocker, passed away on December
22nd, 2014 after a hard fought battle with small cell lung cancer," Sony Music wrote in a statement, via iTV. "Joe Cocker was born
5/20/1944 in Sheffield, England, where he lived until his early 20s. In 2007 he was awarded the OBE by the Queen of England. His
international success as a blues/rock singer began in 1964 and continues till this day. Joe created nearly 40 albums and toured
extensively around the globe."

"Goodbye and God bless to Joe Cocker from one of his friends, peace and love," Ringo Starr tweeted. Cocker's rendition of the
Starr-sung Beatles classic "With a Little Help From My Friends" became one of his most enduring hits, along with covers of the
Beatles' "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" and Billy Preston's "You Are So Beautiful." Cocker also scored a Number One
hit in 1982 for his duet with Jennifer Warnes, "Up Where We Belong."

"He brought Ray Charles to the mix as an influence on rock & roll," E Street Band guitarist Steven Van Zandt said of Cocker for
Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers. Over the course of a career that stretched six decades, Cocker released 22 studio albums
as well as his famed live LP Mad Dogs & Englishmen. Cocker's performance at Woodstock on August 17, 1969 is also regarded
as one of the most iconic sets from the legendary festival.

Billy Joel paid tribute to Cocker in September during a concert at Madison Square Garden, calling Cocker "a great singer who is
not very well right now." Joel added that "I think he should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm amazed that he’s not yet, but
I'm throwing in my vote for Joe Cocker" before performing his own take on "With a Little Help From My Friends."

R.I.P.   Image
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Joe Cocker — R.I.P.

Postby Ron Thorne » December 22nd, 2014, 7:31 pm

What a loss!

I've loved Joe Cocker since the 1st time I heard his voice back in the mid 60s. Of all of his recorded songs, the one which Patti & I are the most fond of is You Are So Beautiful, which always brings chills to us. Thank you Billy Preston and Joe Cocker.

Farewell, Joe.

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Re: Joe Cocker — R.I.P.

Postby Gentle Giant » December 31st, 2014, 6:48 am

I recently bought the complete 2nd season of SNL and Joe Cocker was one of the early guests that year. His first appearance he did a beautiful version of You Are So Beautiful; later, he came on to do Feelin' Alright, joined after the first verse by Belushi for their well-known duet. Little recognized is that Cocker was backed by Stuff, featuring Steve Gadd, Eric Gale, and Richard Tee. Stuff also came on later in the show to do a tune by themselves.

Return to “R.I.P. (Other Music)”