Johnny Winter - RIP

Chazro
Founding Member

Johnny Winter - RIP

Postby Chazro » July 16th, 2014, 11:29 pm

It's been reported that Johnny Winter has passed away at 70. I've read a few different reports but none have mentioned cause of death. I saw him and Edgar many times back in the day. I was a big fan, he'll be missed.
Cem

Re: Johnny Winter - RIP

Postby Cem » July 17th, 2014, 2:33 am

Farewell, Johnny Winter…
http://bcove.me/l9yzi4wg
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 17th, 2014, 4:03 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/07/17/blues-legend-johnny-winter-dies-in-switzerland/12771833/

Johnny Winter performs at the 2014 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival at Fair Grounds
Race Course on Saturday, May 3, 2014, in New Orleans. (Photo: John Davisson, Invision/AP)

Blues legend Johnny Winter dies in Switzerland

Ann Oldenburg, USA TODAY | 7:49 a.m. EDT July 17, 2014

Guitarist, singer and music producer Johnny Winter has died at age 70.

Winter, older brother of Edgar Winter — also a music legend — rose to fame in the late 1960s and '70s with his performances and recordings that included producing his childhood hero Muddy Waters.

"I love blues. I don't mind a little rock and roll, too, as long as it's blues-based rock and roll," he told Guitar World in 2010.

Winter's representative, Carla Parisi, confirmed Thursday to AP that Winter died Wednesday in a hotel room in Zurich. A Facebook note says "his wife, family and bandmates were all saddened by the loss of one of the world's finest guitarists."

He had been on an extensive tour that took him to Europe for his last performance Saturday at the Lovely Days Festival in Wiesen, Austria. He performed in May at the annual Jazz Fest in New Orleans.

Winter, who was born in Beaumont, Texas, showed his gift for music at an early age. At 4, he played the clarinet. At 11, the ukulele. He and Edgar often appeared as a duo on children's TV shows and talent contests. Johnny formed his first band when he was 15 and was making records at 18.

But he battled health and substance abuse issues through the years.

In that Guitar World interview in 2010, he said, "I was not in the best shape for a while there. I was going through some really difficult personal issues, and I started taking prescription drugs to help with the problems on the advice of a doctor. But I ended up taking too many prescription drugs for too long. Combined with drinking, the adverse effects just got worse and worse."

But, he added at the time, "I feel great now."

Last month, in an interview with JournalStar.com, Winter, who released more than 25 albums in his career but never won a Grammy, was asked what he'd like his legacy to be.

He replied: "I just hope I'm remembered as a good blues musician."

Winter was scheduled to release a new studio album, Step Back, on Sept. 2 via Megaforce Records.

R.I.P.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 17th, 2014, 6:56 am

He was on tour but has been sitting. For a guy who has never looked well, I guess it's something that he reached 70 and was still active and playing well. In his prime, though, he was a monster player. RIP.
walto
Founding Member

Johnny Winter, RIP

Postby walto » July 17th, 2014, 9:52 am

Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Johnny Winter, RIP

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 17th, 2014, 11:41 am

walto wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQPlU5q1CBI

Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » July 17th, 2014, 1:32 pm

My favorite rock concert experience--1969 or 1970--Johnny Winter And, with Rick Derringer, opening for Poco. Such excellent musicianship up on that stage that night. Rock on, Johnny.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » July 20th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I saw him & his brother many times back in the 70's. I remember once in this shithole called the Rockpile (a warehouse painted black that booked great bands but was a real dump!). It's early morning by now, Edgar Winters White Trash, we're baked and screaming for a 3rd encore, and out comes this silver wraith followed by another one in a top hat! They basically did another set, it was amazing! Another time was at the Fillmore East. It was Elvin Bishop 3rd billing, JW 2nd, & The Allman Bros. top billing (this was the series of nights that spawned their legendary live album!). At the end of the 2nd set Elvin and Johnny joined Duane for a jam! Such excellent memories. Thanks Johnny!

Return to “R.I.P. (Other Music)”