Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Bobby Womack Has Died

Postby Ron Thorne » June 28th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Bobby Womack, R&B singer-songwriter, dies at 70

By CHRIS TALBOTT
AP Music Writer
June 28, 2014 12:48 AM

Bobby Womack, a colorful and highly influential R&B singer-songwriter who influenced artists from the Rolling Stones to Damon Albarn, has died. He was 70.

Womack’s publicist Sonya Kolowrat said Friday that the singer had died, but she could provide no other details.

With an incomparable voice few could match, Womack was a stirring singer and guitarist in his own right and a powerful songwriter whose hits like ‘‘Across 110th Street,’’ ‘'If You Think You’re Lonely Now’’ and ‘‘I Wish He Didn’t Trust Me So Much’’ captured the imagination of future stars in rock ‘n’ roll and R&B.

‘‘He had a style that nobody else could ever capture,’’ longtime friend, gospel singer Candi Staton, said in a statement. ‘‘I loved him and I will miss him so, so very much.’’

In a statement, musician Peter Gabriel said: ‘‘I'm very sad to learn of Bobby Womack’s death ... His songs and his voice have been so much a part of the fabric of so many musical lives. In recent years, it was great to see Richard Russell and Damon Albarn bringing his music back into our attention. He was a soul legend. Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends at this time.’’

Womack’s death comes as something of a surprise. Though he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease two years ago and overcame addiction and multiple health issues, including prostate and colon cancer, recently, he seemed in good health and spirits when he performed earlier this month at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival.

Complete story<
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Bobby Womack Has Died

Postby bluenoter » June 28th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Return to “R.I.P. (Other Music)”